Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June/July 2023 Severe Discussion

Quincy

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

I vote this as best mothership of all time

Well thank you, but not even sure that’s my best. Probably my favorite from this year though. The Northern Plains storms are something else, especially with the open country and relative lack of other chasers.

The northeastern Colorado tornado-fest makes sense in hindsight, while most of us were blinded by the potential for more discrete activity in southeastern Wyoming. 

Near Lubbock, confirmed tornado

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM CDT FOR NORTH
CENTRAL DICKENS AND SOUTHEASTERN MOTLEY COUNTIES...

At 818 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located 6 miles southeast of 
Matador, moving southeast at 20 mph.  Structure damage has been 
reported in the City of Matador.  The tornadic circulation continues 
over rural portions of Motley county east of Roaring Springs.

910pm_possible_tornado_matador.jpg

852pm_possible_tornado_matador.jpg

Up to 2" Hail at the Red Rocks concert venue in CO last night resulted in 90+ injuries and 7 transported to a hospital, per a recent BOU LSR and recent media reports. Definitely some high-impact storms yesterday. Tough luck to have two Panhandle/west Texas towns take a direct hit from a big tornado in one week. 

Tough day for the CAM guidance yesterday, especially across Texas. As alluded to in the tweet above, there was some signal for the Houston area eventually getting hit, but I don't think any model came close to getting the timing or evolution of those storms right. Several HRRR runs did a good job yesterday showing the potential for an intense supercell cluster across the Panhandle and South Plains area...until it completely gave up on that scenario a few hours before the event began. Weakly forced scenarios with huge CAPE are always going to be a challenge. 

4 hours ago, thunderbird12 said:

Up to 2" Hail at the Red Rocks concert venue in CO last night resulted in 90+ injuries and 7 transported to a hospital, per a recent BOU LSR and recent media reports. Definitely some high-impact storms yesterday. Tough luck to have two Panhandle/west Texas towns take a direct hit from a big tornado in one week. 

Tough day for the CAM guidance yesterday, especially across Texas. As alluded to in the tweet above, there was some signal for the Houston area eventually getting hit, but I don't think any model came close to getting the timing or evolution of those storms right. Several HRRR runs did a good job yesterday showing the potential for an intense supercell cluster across the Panhandle and South Plains area...until it completely gave up on that scenario a few hours before the event began. Weakly forced scenarios with huge CAPE are always going to be a challenge. 

Hi-Res models did loosely hint at the possibility, but they were struggling with gauging the strength of the cap. That said, the cold pool / outflow boundary from the MCS across KS / OK Wednesday morning was just enough of a trigger to weaken it.

Had there been a bit stronger forcing / shear, it might have been a repeat of 6/9/19.

Now 4 deaths in Matador. Helicopter video from this morning shows a very intense damage path. Essentially all of the structures that were in the core of the damage path were leveled or swept away. Ground scouring present, major tree damage, and vehicles that look like they've been moved long distances and mangled.

Pretty confident that there's EF4 damage in there somewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/dustin.johnson.14811/videos/1763160690810064/?mibextid=jf9HGS

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andyhb said:

Meanwhile the Akron CO cyclic supercell from earlier is the storm of the year and perhaps decade so far in terms of photogenic tornadoes. Unbelievable video.

Amazing to see. I think as well it's good for people to see just how volatile a mesocyclone is, especially a violent one like this. Too many people want to "zero meter" anymore and this is why a safe distance & precip free view is so key

• Thanks 1

When you get 70 dew points to the Caprock, big/bad things can happen. 

Today’s High Plains environment looks slightly less volatile, along with slightly less juiced moisture. With that said, several modified boundaries could be the focus for widely scattered supercell development this afternoon and evening. 

8 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

That's just south of my house. I'm at work now but hairy indeed. That area is basically a big suburb nested within a high-tech megaplex with multiple malls, etc.

There's a pretty insane hail core with that storm as well. Wild couple of days for CO. 

Multiple tornado warnings at the moment across central Wyoming. A tornado watch is in effect for parts of eastern Wyoming and vicinity. 

Other storms will be possible up and down the High Plains, immediately ahead of a dryline. Storms could interact with an outflow boundary near the Texas panhandle and convective initiation is also underway on the nose of a dryline bulge in southeastern Colorado. 

Tomorrow may be the final day for a bit with relatively widespread severe potential across the sub forum, as a shortwave ejects east across the Dakotas. Details are unclear, but the severe potential seems to be focused on Iowa and surrounding areas. 

• Like 1

• Quincy changed the title to June/July 2023 Severe Discussion