• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Shouldn't MS & AL be moved to here? Clearly the Southeastern board doesn't give a crap about them

26 dead in a major tornado outbreak last week and I couldn't find a post, much less a thread, about it on the Southeastern board.  Tenn Valley might work, but it seems like nearly all the tornado coverage in MS is a carryover from further west and thus a continuation of threads here.  Might as well make official what has evolved in practice.

Nothing wrong with Carolina people focusing on the Carolinas, GA on GA, etc.  But moving might clear up some confusion that may have limited posting when someone scanning couldn't find a thread or even activity in an event and didn't think to check the Central/Western States board (LOL).  "Central/Western Time Zones Board"?

• Like 5

I've noticed that, too...I may be remembering wrong but I think the most active discussion thread on this forum during the April 27, 2011 outbreak was in TN Valley...even though that technically only covers far northern AL...even though in my mind "the Southeast" has always included all the former Confederate states except Texas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Witness Protection Program said:

26 dead in a major tornado outbreak last week and I couldn't find a post, much less a thread, about it on the Southeastern board.  Tenn Valley might work, but it seems like nearly all the tornado coverage in MS is a carryover from further west and thus a continuation of threads here.  Might as well make official what has evolved in practice.

Nothing wrong with Carolina people focusing on the Carolinas, GA on GA, etc.  But moving might clear up some confusion that may have limited posting when someone scanning couldn't find a thread or even activity in an event and didn't think to check the Central/Western States board (LOL).  "Central/Western Time Zones Board"?

I agree. I'm originally from Birmingham and tries to post provide severe weather updates on the Southeast board. However, unless it pertaining to the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) Fayetteville, or Eastern NC most posters on that board doesn't care. They tend to even ignore weather in Metro Atlanta in GA and Charlotte. If it's not snow, tropical storms, or hurricanes then they don't seem to care. I would say move everything from that not in the Triangle or Eastern portions of NC should be moved to a bigger Southeast board with AL, GA, MS, and the Tennessee Valley board all together. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, Witness Protection Program said:

Why not just include them in the Tenn Valley section. It already covers northern MS and AL.

• Like 1

Used to live in the Carolinas. Tbh the problem is that’s arguably some of the best weather in the country, so inclement events aren’t as routine as they are in the Midwest and Plains where you routinely track snowstorms and severe weather. I say add them as they’re in the Central time zone

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

2 significant tornadoes were spun in West Palm Beach and Virginia Beach yesterday yet nothing about either nor the severe weather threats in the Southeast subforum. Can we please reconfigure the line up of geography from that Southeast subforum retitled to only eastern North Carolina  as the most posters seem to not post relevant anything except snow and bizarre IMBY observations in that particular area? We need a more centrally located subforum for the all forms weather across the South outside of the Triangle and Eastern parts of North Carolina. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, kayman said:

2 significant tornadoes were spun in West Palm Beach and Virginia Beach yesterday yet nothing about either nor the severe weather threats in the Southeast subforum. Can we please reconfigure the line up of geography from that Southeast subforum retitled to only eastern North Carolina  as the most posters seem to not post relevant anything except snow and bizarre IMBY observations in that particular area? We need a more centrally located subforum for the all forms weather across the South outside of the Triangle and Eastern parts of North Carolina. 

The root of the issue is that people, by their nature, are mostly concerned about weather that may or may not impact their own backyard. If it happens elsewhere, then it's out of sight and out of mind.

If one would like to see more discussion about weather in a specific location, then more people from that specific location have to join the forum & actively participate. That's the only solution, as no type of realignment with the subforums would fix the Viriginia Beach and West Palm Beach examples you shared.

Something I will add… over the years the southeast forum has had an exodus of users to other weather forums. The landscape today is a lot different than what it looked like 3-4 years ago. I’m not sure what happened, but a lot left.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Just now seeing this. The Tennessee Valley region indeed includes North Alabama and North Mississippi, per the Tenn. River. Then if you go TVA territory, much of east-central Mississippi joins. What the heck? We adopt all of Alabama and Mississippi!

I discuss it all when time permits. Usually, I'm hankering for a chase. Plus it's to my west, which is of personal interest even when not chasing. Unfortunately, sometimes work duties prohibit time on the board. I might be biased, but I believe the American Weather Tennessee Valley is the best Dixie Alley discussion on the Internet. 

One could debate the Plains Internet spots, but for me it's no contest in the South.