Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

45 minutes ago, North and West said:

apart from the CTE and end of life disasters.

giphy.gif

They have done a ton to reduce CTE by protecting the players and adjusting the rules. It won’t be completely eliminated because it’s a contact sport 

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

This.   The old model is a dinosaur-no one under 50 watches network tv or newcasts-granted the NFL has huge ratings but everything else is dwindling...

No question network tv is in decline, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that almost no one under 50 watches it. I know a lot of people that are complaining about having to sign up with Peacock to watch this game. There is a lot of outrage, and New York Congressman Pat Ryan even blasted the NFL and sent a letter to Roger Goodell. It's an absolute disgrace that this playoff game isn't on tv. 

They have done a ton to reduce CTE by protecting the players and adjusting the rules. It won’t be completely eliminated because it’s a contact sport 

Agreed on first part; perhaps the bigger issue is that they’re exacerbating damage from college, high school, and younger programs. I don’t let my kids play.

• Like 1

Just now, North and West said:

Agreed on first part; perhaps the bigger issue is that they’re exacerbating damage from college, high school, and younger programs. I don’t let my kids play.

Agreed. I think youth football is in major trouble. It’s becoming difficult for towns to have enough participants to form a team. I won’t let me son play either but I’m a huge football fan 

18 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Is it up to the nfl or NBC? Networks are slowly dying and know they need streaming customers to survive

What's the advantage of streaming? It actually costs more to stream than cable TV costs to get all the same networks.  I'd rather have cable.  Plus who watches sports on their phone?

18 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

This.   The old model is a dinosaur-no one under 50 watches network tv or newcasts-granted the NFL has huge ratings but everything else is dwindling...

Yeah but people do watch Cable TV.  I would rather the game was on ESPN.  No one wants to watch these games on their phone or computer.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

What's the advantage of streaming? It actually costs more to stream than cable TV costs to get all the same networks.  I'd rather have cable.  Plus who watches sports on their phone?

You stream on your TV and many people are cutting cable. I just read where espn is only in 70 million homes now compared with 90 million a decade ago. Watching a game on peacock is no different than watching Netflix on your tv

You stream on your TV and many people are cutting cable. I just read where espn is only in 70 million homes now compared with 90 million a decade ago. Watching a game on peacock is no different than watching Netflix on your tv

Yea, but why pay for peacock for one thing. At least Netflix has (had?) some value for your dollar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, North and West said:

Yea, but why pay for peacock for one thing. At least Netflix has (had?) some value for your dollar.

I don't but I got it free for a year when I got my cell phone. I think I watched one show on it so far but yeah would never keep it year round or get it for one football game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

IMG_5817.jpeg.95f329555e825fc6a218629a47f415e5.jpeg

I believe each tool as a purpose, a phone is for making phone calls, a camera is for taking pictures, a computer is for..... computing lol, a television is for watching television.

This isn't old fashioned, it's called specialization.  I can't tell you how many idiots I know who have no idea how to hold a camera because they hold a phone vertically.  These are people of average intelligence (boring) with below average knowledge.  If they had more specialized tools they'd actually learn how to use things and develop real skills.

I still do math in my head (don't need electronic devices), and another reason I'm glad I grew up before cell phones is because cell phones have been proven to cause brain developmental issues... I fear we're going to have a whole generation of kids who will grow up not knowing how to think properly-- we already have people whose faces are glued to their phone as they walk (or even worse, drive.)  I made a conscious decision to get rid of my cellphone and all credit cards, because I don't want to be a slave to this modern addiction.

37 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I have a smart TV it doesn't work for some reason because wifi here is bad and it doesn't detect a connection.

There are major advantages to cable-- mine is packaged (phone, internet, TV), so with just one bill I get 200 channels of TV, gigabit internet and flat rate phone service for all the US and Canada

17 minutes ago, North and West said:

Netflix has this new ad supported cheaper service that a lot of people are signing up for.

I would sign up for it (if/when) these services are offered by Optimum. They said they would do so in the near future.

40 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I'd get them when they are offered by Optimum (my cable provider), they said they would in the near future.  These streaming services need to be regulated properly-- the government should tax them just like cable and other telecoms get taxed.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I believe each tool as a purpose, a phone is for making phone calls, a camera is for taking pictures, a computer is for..... computing lol, a television is for watching television.

This isn't old fashioned, it's called specialization.  I can't tell you how many idiots I know who have no idea how to hold a camera because they hold a phone vertically.  These are people of average intelligence (boring) with below average knowledge.  If they had more specialized tools they'd actually learn how to use things and develop real skills.

I still do math in my head (don't need electronic devices), and another reason I'm glad I grew up before cell phones is because cell phones have been proven to cause brain developmental issues... I fear we're going to have a whole generation of kids who will grow up not knowing how to think properly-- we already have people whose faces are glued to their phone as they walk (or even worse, drive.)  I made a conscious decision to get rid of my cellphone and all credit cards, because I don't want to be a slave to this modern addiction.

One of my sons was the best man at his buddy’s wedding. The rehearsal dinner happened to be on a Saturday…in October. He had The Irish streaming in his phone…and the groom kept asking for updates. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I have a smart TV it doesn't work for some reason because wifi here is bad and it doesn't detect a connection.

There are major advantages to cable-- mine is packaged (phone, internet, TV), so with just one bill I get 200 channels of TV, gigabit internet and flat rate phone service for all the US and Canada

That's 1 bill somewhere north of $300 is my guess.  I used to pay that too.  Less than half as much for almost the same stuff now.  I don't get TWC any more, but had rarely been watching it before.

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

That's 1 bill somewhere north of $300 is my guess.  I used to pay that too.  Less than half as much for almost the same stuff.  I don't get TWC any more, but had rarely been watching it before.

No, but they tried to get me to pay 220 lol.

But at the end of every year I call and threaten to cancel and they reduce my bill back down to 160 lol.

I read that on a cablevision forum, call them and tell them you'll cancel their services and they'll lower your bill back down to what it was before.

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

One of my sons was the best man at his buddy’s wedding. The rehearsal dinner happened to be on a Saturday…in October. He had The Irish streaming in his phone…and the groom kept asking for updates. 

phones have advanced technologically by leaps and bounds, but it seems like the people who take pictures still want to hold them vertically when you're supposed to hold them horizontally when taking a picture (unless you're trying to take a portrait.)

For when you're away from home and watching a game-- there really is no substitute.

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No, but they tried to get me to pay 220 lol.

But at the end of every year I call and threaten to cancel and they reduce my bill back down to 160 lol.

I read that on a cablevision forum, call them and tell them you'll cancel their services and they'll lower your bill back down to what it was before.

I did that and got no satisfaction.  I told them that the next call would be me cancelling, and it was.  That 2nd call they tried to make a deal and I told them to pound salt. 

Went from $307 to $117. For $117 we still have our VoIP  "landline" and better internet than we had.

$190/month savings is a lot of craft beers ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I did that and got no satisfaction.  I told them that the next call would be me cancelling, and it was.  That 2nd call they tried to make a deal and I told them to pound salt. 

Went from $307 to $117. For $117 we still have our VoIP  "landline" and better internet than we had.

$190/month savings is a lot of craft beers ;)

wow 117 is pretty good, who do you get your service from at 117?

for that price I might consider switching too.

calling them every year is tiring... especially since I usually have to make multiple calls since the first person I talk to usually says they don't have any current "plans" to offer me.

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Meanwhile going to be -5 at kickoff

I heard yesterday that they are allowing people to bring in cardboard. According to Tiki Barber yesterday it keeps your feet warmer if you put the cardboard under your feet. Never heard that before but makes perfect sense. In 2022 we were at the Boston College/Notre Dame game that had the snow squall roll through, awesome experience but our feet were the coldest part, would’ve loved to have some cardboard that day. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I heard yesterday that they are allowing people to bring in cardboard. According to Tiki Barber yesterday it keeps your feet warmer if you put the cardboard under your feet. Never heard that before but makes perfect sense. In 2022 we were at the Boston College/Notre Dame game that had the snow squall roll through, awesome experience but our feet were the coldest part, would’ve loved to have some cardboard that day. 

I've been outside in below zero temps for short periods of time and anything exposed hurts. I really can't imagine standing out there for 3 hours

• Like 2