• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

That first map you posted showed 3-4" for most of Lanco...this one shows 1-2" most of the county.   Not at all a big deal but the maps really vary with TT usually being the worst IMO. 

Honestly, 10:1 can’t be used in March 99% of the time, I prefer kuch, but that’s even stretching it. Snow depth may be more in line here

• Like 3

For wave 2, the Icon, Euro and CMC all featured a low getting captured as it climbed the coast...with varying 500 forecast all of which are too far North for us to get a KU so something to watch for on the next runs as to seeing the trough hopefully scotting through the central MA instead of further north.  The GFS was on its own in not capturing the system. The Euro depiction was a lot dryer that one would have thought it would be with a low climbing almost due north from the NC Coast. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Euro depiction was a lot dryer that one would have thought it would be with a low climbing almost due north from the NC Coast. 

I'm not sure that the Euro is right with this, but let's play along and say that it is - given the location, track, and intensity, it's really hard to believe we wouldn't have gotten more snow out of that solution. 

• Like 1

HH HRRR has the Friday snow starting in the western and central LSV at rush hour again and snowing through its entire run which stopped at 1PM.  1-3" type snows I would guess though extrapolating on that.    Surface temps 35 or under,   Low in a similar position as other meso's just a colder column.

Nam slightly improved but still more rain than snow in the south. 

• Thanks 1

Looking over column thermals on the models at 850 and 925mb, there’s really good consensus on a snow column for pretty much anywhere in here for most/all of this Friday/Fri Night event. 850s stay well below zero anywhere in PA other than far SW PA and 925mb 0 line touches the PA/MD line briefly on some guidance. 700mb temps cool below -10ºC as the event evolves and the 700mb low tracks over PA, which could aid in ratios in the snow growth department. 

I know there’s obviously been very little to show in the LSV but the last 2-3 events have featured a colder than advertised column on onset that has allowed it to put some snow to the ground in parts of the Sus Valley that it wasn’t really in the forecast prior. This has a much better setup. Even though dying primary tracks thru PA, forced secondary development well southeast and flat trajectory of the primary ensure warm advection aloft likely won’t be a big issue and 850s hold below zero. 

Basically I think everyone will see snow falling, but I see a few potential issues as limiting accum factors. They’re somewhat tied together but surface temps, rates, and overall QPF. Models can print out mid 30s in the LSV at the surface or whatever and depending on timing they might be there before the event starts but if snow comes in at good enough rates you’re coming down to near or below freezing regardless, which will allow accums. I think the initial WAA stuff that comes in will be sufficient in that department, though there’s likely to be at least some elevational component. The other thing is QPF, that’s where the low track comes into play in this setup. I don’t think this dislodges the snow supporting snow column, but NW-SE primary track thru PA as it transfers to VA Beach/northern OBX will put the best QPF just to the north/northeast of the low track. Right now it would seem northern half or so of PA in best position for the highest QPF and the LSV/southern tier could be in a bit of a weak spot after the initial WAA precip. But that’s dependent on ultimate track and transfer timing. It seems like there will be some precip shield lingering overnight Friday somewhere in PA, where lighter rates will have an easier time accumulating. Could be another brief flare up of heavier precip (snow) in eastern PA as the coastal gets going well offshore as well, like the 12z Euro really suggested. That could help the Lanco folks. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm not sure that the Euro is right with this, but let's play along and say that it is - given the location, track, and intensity, it's really hard to believe we wouldn't have gotten more snow out of that solution. 

I agree 100% with you!

If we are initially cold enough for snow, I don’t believe that we change to rain with a slightly offshore low track that is intensifying as it tracks from NC to NJ. If anything, the precip shield should expand & the column should cool with that Euro look.

02812A62-2107-4C86-B358-0A50C5DC174C.png

0307C3F7-072E-4E33-9AAA-ABC52C17EC26.png

C10AF2A5-C7FE-47FA-8C13-512B1D6A9F58.png

• Like 1

Just watching weather report on 6:30 ABC News. They showed storm moving east and on Friday, their map had all of PA in white and the word HEAVY centered right above the NY state border and SNOW centered right below it on the PA border.

Wunderground still says 1.5 for us here in Williamsport.  NWS says about an inch. I took a look at Scranton out of curiosity and "light accumulation" for them in NEPA, too.

So will things change between now and Friday?