• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

54 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I have no inside scoop...but were way overdue for a bad winter.

MDT has had 6 of the last 10 Winters with Above normal snow. 

2010 was the last well above snow Winter with over 50 inches at MDT. This was thanks to 3 major storms, but there was next to nothing in between the December storm & then the 2 major snowstorms in early February. After that, the late February snowicane that hit NJ & NY only gave minor amounts to the LSV-we were just a bit too far west. March 2010 was snowless.

In my opinion, 2013-14 with the 44 inch total at MDT was a worse Winter in terms of cold & snow, with several events from December through February. It could have been even better if the 3 events in March that hit Maryland could have tracked slightly further north.

22FFF7C6-26D9-4FF2-8237-F5C08C7574AC.png

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

Who knows...maybe next year is our turn to get record

breaking seasonal snowfall.

The mountains of California have had 13 major storms this season that delivered their historic snow.

Maybe some year will be our turn?

I would love if MDT could see a 100 inch snow season some year. I think the record best season is near 80 inches.

Lol, we would just need about 7 major coastal snowstorms that deliver around 15 inches of snow per storm. We would need the Gulf to VA coastal track to lock in for the whole Winter.

Lol, never say never!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

CTP has virtually the entire region (far SE looks excluded) in slight risk for tomorrow. 

My grid high for tomorrow is 73, sustained 20-29 mp winds with max gust to 47. 

Most of the model gust maps shown on MA seem a bit higher.   The lack of rain is a major disappointment if it happens as portrayed by the Meso's. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I will go with 52 for MDT, 59 for LNS. 

Is it just my dumb eyes or is tomorrow playing out a big more like the big winds are fairly confined just in front and behind the line and otherwise nothing too outrageous? Instead of it blowing 40+ for 12+ hours? 

FWIW a single 55 mpg wind gust will absolutely do damage to siding, shingles, etc. on homes. 

Just now, canderson said:

Is it just my dumb eyes or is tomorrow playing out a big more like the big winds are fairly confined just in front and behind the line and otherwise nothing too outrageous? Instead of it blowing 40+ for 12+ hours? 

FWIW a single 55 mpg wind gust will absolutely do damage to siding, shingles, etc. on homes. 

Yes, that was what I posted this AM as to what the Meso's were showing.  A bit windy weather most of tomorrow than a 2-3 hour period of heavier winds then back down again.  I think gusts can do damage, but we get over 50MPH gusts here quite often over the year due to the elevation and, when positioned right, being upslope when winds careen in from the west.  Lots of branches and such and risk of power outages but not much house damage.  A constant/sustained wind in the 50's and 60's will definitely wear on and pull up loose shingles if it goes on too long. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yes, that was what I posted this AM as to what the Meso's were showing.  A bit windy weather most of tomorrow than a 2-3 hour period of heavier winds then back down again.  I think gusts can do damage, but we get over 50MPH gusts here quite often over the year due to the elevation and, when positioned right, being upslope when winds careen in from the west.  Lots of branches and such and risk of power outages but not much house damage.  A constant/sustained wind in the 50's and 60's will definitely wear on and pull up loose shingles if it goes on too long. 

It'd help if I'd read. :) I've just been looking at model outputs for the midwest storms today. That mod risk has like 15 million people in - Chicago included. 

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

It'd help if I'd read. :) I've just been looking at model outputs for the midwest storms today. That mod risk has like 15 million people in - Chicago included. 

Oh, I was not bashing, sorry if it came across that way.  Yea, scary out there. 

Rain just entering Franklin county right now.  Hope some of the heavier stuff can make it here but HRRR has it faltering as it downslopes.   A raw 45 out. 

6 hours ago, pasnownut said:

GREAT pics man.  You have a good eye for the camera.

I don't see cellular damage on a single flower, all looks great, In fact those trees have way to many flowers and will probably be mechanically or chemically pinched to increase fruit size and to prevent apples bumping into each other and bruising in the wind. That is a very nice orchard .

• Like 1

CTP went with a wind advisory, not warning, for everyone not already in the warning.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
322 PM EDT Fri Mar 31 2023

PAZ004>006-010>012-017>019-027-028-037-041-042-045-046-049>053-
056>059-063>066-011200-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WI.Y.0008.230401T1200Z-230402T0600Z/
Warren-McKean-Potter-Elk-Cameron-Northern Clinton-Clearfield-
Northern Centre-Southern Centre-Mifflin-Juniata-Tioga-
Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern Clinton-Southern Lycoming-
Union-Snyder-Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-Perry-Dauphin-
Schuylkill-Lebanon-Cumberland-Adams-York-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Warren, Bradford, Coudersport, St. Marys,
Ridgway, Emporium, Renovo, DuBois, Clearfield, Philipsburg,
State College, Lewistown, Mifflintown, Mansfield, Wellsboro,
Trout Run, Laporte, Lock Haven, Williamsport, Lewisburg,
Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury, Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick,
Newport, Harrisburg, Hershey, Pottsville, Lebanon, Carlisle,
Gettysburg, York, and Lancaster
322 PM EDT Fri Mar 31 2023

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...West winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 8 AM Saturday to 2 AM EDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects.
  Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may
  result.