Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gotta watch for some embedded bands too...the profile is kind of unstable under the shortwave. Very steep lapse rates above 800-850.

Soundings showed that on GFS. Definitely a sneaky band or two of heavier SN. But overall that depiction at least makes sense synoptically to me.

This is the type of setup you have to watch for an IVT/Norlun type band that hangs back after the main band of SN- moves through....you can see the isobars inverting back into SNE while at the same time you have very low H5 heights moving overhead to provide the instability.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is the type of setup you have to watch for an IVT/Norlun type band that hangs back after the main band of SN- moves through....you can see the isobars inverting back into SNE while at the same time you have very low H5 heights moving overhead to provide the instability.

That’s what I asked earlier. This setup should “hang back” long duration light snows 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s what I asked earlier. This setup should “hang back” long duration light snows 

It might...but sometimes it will focus into a fairly narrow band....hence the NORLUN idea. But we won't know much about that potential until the event is really close. It could still trend more like the GFS and be more of a legit coastal. But my money is on the light snow with maybe a little bit of hangback in spots.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Advecting -15C 850s into BOS by Tuesday night :lol:

It impresses me just how bad all the guidance really was when it was day 4 to 7 range with regard to the 2 m temperature layout over the weekend as the NAO is doing that. And we get to see this correction as we’ve near that time. 18 Z Sunday on this GFS has a 34° temperature at Worcester with a dewpoint in the low 20s… Meanwhile up in Maine it’s in the low to mid 20s with two points in a single digits. These same regions were in the low 40s mid 30s with two points higher than that.  

It has a very significant correction complexion to this whole thing for anything that’s in this pattern of a blocky general hemisphere. I don’t trust the storm after that that we’ve been following that’s between 13.14 out by Chicago and 16-ish here later next week for that same reason. If we’re still exerting off of a nanny oh we’re going to have a completely different lower troposphere from Lake superior to the coastal waters of New England out in the mid range and the extended period

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It impresses me just how bad all the guidance really was when it was day 4 to 7 range with regard to the 2 m temperature layout over the weekend as the NAO is doing that. And we get to see this correction as we’ve near that time. 18 Z Sunday on this GFS has a 34° temperature at Worcester with a dewpoint in the low 20s… Meanwhile up in Maine it’s in the low to mid 20s with two points in a single digits. These same regions were in the low 40s mid 30s with two points higher than that.  

It has a very significant correction complexion to this whole thing for anything that’s in this pattern of a blocky general hemisphere. I don’t trust the storm after that that we’ve been following that’s between 13.14 out by Chicago and 16-ish here later next week for that same reason. If we’re still exerting off of a nanny oh we’re going to have a completely different lower troposphere from Lake superior to the coastal waters of New England out in the mid range and the extended period

Yes. I don't trust model guidance to handle this blocking well. We did mention that many times going back. I know you did. It's probably going to change again.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes. I don't trust model guidance to handle this blocking well. We did mention that many times going back. I know you did. It's probably going to change again.

Right… I think we mentioned over a week ago the ‘correction vector’ pointed colder and well … that 2 m is one of the many examples how that sort of verifies

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Once the models "See" the airmass better as we get closer, I'm sure we can finagle a Dec '92 type gradient over E MA. 

I guess I'd feel better if we weren't teetering at 0-1C at 850 and need a little wetbulbing to get it cooler. At least verbatim. We never had that parent low in the Midwest in 92. That helps warm it a tad. 

• Like 1