Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,118
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    SCseminole
    Newest Member
    SCseminole
    Joined

MLK Storm - something for everyone


ChescoWx
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Two reasons we won’t see much icing.  1.  Screaming SE wind will scour away all low level cold quickly and 2. Latent heat release from heavy rain

It's not a matter of eventually scouring out the ambient cold air, it's the solid ground and surfaces (including concrete and metal) that have been sitting in single digits and low 10s for a long time - i.e., initial liquid would freeze on contact unless the temp warmed up into the 40s for a bit before onset (where onset is supposed to happen late this afternoon and overnight with temps near or below freezing depending on where you live). I'm not expecting any significant "icing" per se but just that there might be some initial coating - although any snow that covers those surfaces first may mitigate it too.

Edit to add - those poor folks in the central and western Carolinas are the ones who are going to have an ice storm extraordinaire.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Albedoman said:

I agree but I hope that is not all sleet mixing in too

 

For the infamous Morning call and other media outlets. I have provided your media outlet  with tomorrow's headlines since their  headline in this mornings paper is :  "Major winter storm downgraded"   What a bunch of media sensationalists and will come back to bite them hard.

 

Tomorrow's paper headline will say  "A major overperfomer storm stuns Lehigh Valley drivers."  Accidents were abundant as many roads were slippery as the salt and brine could not work very well with the initial temperatures of the surfaces near 20 degrees between 4pm and midnight last night. The snow could not melt quick enough as the late arriving snow continued to play havoc on the  road surface.  Even though it was a only small accumulation of snow and the plows are unable to drop the snow blades until three  inches have fallen, many drivers  refused to stay home and were lured into a false sense of security with their vehicles  resulting in car accidents everywhere. There is your new title and summary Morning Call 

 

If I hear the term" over performer" again, I want to barf.  This is some weather forecasters simplistic term created for simply explaining  away the inaccuracies of their forecasting ability because they just do not know why . Just say I do not know why and I will research and get back to you on what I think went wrong. Thats what real scientists do. They learn from their mistakes. 

 

The media  also uses sensational  terms such as  "double down, " influencer" etc , to hype a story that is failing in truth too. To the Morning Call----Meteorology is not journalism, it is a physical  science.  Get over it. 

  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

For the infamous Morning call and other media outlets. I have provided your media outlet  with tomorrow's headlines since their  headline in this mornings paper is :  "Major winter storm downgraded"   What a bunch of media sensationalists and will come back to bite them hard.

 

Tomorrow's paper headline will say  "A major overperfomer storm stuns Lehigh Valley drivers."  Accidents were abundant as many roads were slippery as the salt and brine could not work very well with the initial temperatures of the surfaces near 20 degrees between 4pm and midnight last night. The snow could not melt quick enough as the late arriving snow continued to play havoc on the  road surface.  Even though it was a only small accumulation of snow and the plows are unable to drop the snow blades until three  inches have fallen, many drivers  refused to stay home and were lured into a false sense of security with their vehicles  resulting in car accidents everywhere. There is your new title and summary Morning Call 

 

If I hear the term" over performer" again, I want to barf.  This is some weather forecasters simplistic term created for simply explaining  away the inaccuracies of their forecasting ability because they just do not know why . Just say I do not know why and I will research and get back to you on what I think went wrong. Thats what real scientists do. They learn from their mistakes. 

 

The media  also uses sensational  terms such as  "double down, " influencer" etc , to hype a story that is failing in truth too. To the Morning Call----Meteorology is not journalism, it is a physical  science.  Get over it. 

Welcome back LVWX!

(just kidding)

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's not a matter of eventually scouring out the ambient cold air, it's the solid ground and surfaces (including concrete and metal) that have been sitting in single digits and low 10s for a long time - i.e., initial liquid would freeze on contact unless the temp warmed up into the 40s for a bit before onset (where onset is supposed to happen late this afternoon and overnight with temps near or below freezing depending on where you live). I'm not expecting any significant "icing" per se but just that there might be some initial coating - although any snow that covers those surfaces first may mitigate it too.

Edit to add - those poor folks in the central and western Carolinas are the ones who are going to have an ice storm extraordinaire.

It’s the latent heat that will warm all the surfaces extremely fast.  Snow to heavy rain will mean very little icing IMO

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

It’s the latent heat that will warm all the surfaces extremely fast.  Snow to heavy rain will mean very little icing IMO

Bingo. Im sure there will be some icing. But this isn't a major ice storm signal at all. 

I've been at 21F before and pouring rain....not fzra...just rain. Latent heat release didn't allow for ice accretion. Best icing conditions are lighter precip. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...