Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

6 minutes ago, Tealsnowball said:

No, I agree with you.  Thinking it will readjust a bit east somewhat.  At this point though I'd be ecstatic with 4 inches of "crunch"!

Seriously agree here. You can give me 5” of absolute concrete compacted and I would be ecstatic. Been a good couple of years since we’ve even gotten anything remotely good. Beggars def can’t be choosers. Heavy snowfall that accumulates is essentially a bonus at this juncture 

• Like 2

My Take before I retire for the night: 

Not great stuff here. I think that another culprit for our poor runs today has been the general width of our parent trough, which has increased as the day goes on. If you recall, our system a few days ago was a little tighter/wound up. A larger, wider trough is going to churn eastward slower which is a pretty bedrock rule in meteorology, and that a slower, wider system is able to pump up heights ahead of it a little more. As Webb said in his tweets, that downstream ridge amplification is allowing this thing to achieve a negative tilt a little faster and gain latitude. That north stream shortwave i mentioned earlier today is also totally not helping things and letting our system kick NE. 

As for the Ops/Ens split, I'm unsure, but there's likely something to do with the coarser resolution. Webb is tweeting that it's convection and that the coarser ensembles aren't handling the convection and latent heating as well and if this were a warmer month I'd be inclined to agree. However, this system doesn't really have a ton of convection until it his MS/AL and by that time the difference is pretty glaring, so I don't think it's that. There's another way that coarser model runs suck and that is elevation rendering. The Rockies in a singular GFS ensemble member probably look like something out of Minecraft while the OP has a finer rendering. Since elevation affects vorticity (mountains compress/stretch the air column), I wonder if that is causing the disconnect.

If there's a sprinkle of optimism, it's this: Seems like the variance of the GEFS Ens pressure fields increased. Look at below. gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_fh108_trend.thumb.gif.c76f1876419b2560ca296343308e2a32.gif

That yellow shading is variance between the ensembles, and I thought it was interesting that it jumped in a heart shaped zone stretching from Memphis through Savannah to Norfolk. It seems like a lot of ensembles have their own idea with how to make the transfer from the inland low to the coast, and it doesn't seem like this is a done deal yet. (The caveat is that if this whole thing continues to edge NW, we may just be looking at an apps runner. But we'll see about that).

Whatever. Hoping the Euro looks OK and that the 12z suite tomorrow is better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

My Take before I retire for the night: 

Great write up! Especially in the ops/ens. Very informative. As usual with winter storms in the south it’s going to come down to 2 days out before we really know anything. What a headache for the weather services. I’m split on this. On the one hand the OP just doesn’t look “right” given the setup…but what is more likely? A once in a lifetime Miller A or the usual thing which is a Miller B hot mess that only folks north and west of I-40 cash in on? 

Time will tell the tale. 

3 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Great write up! Especially in the ops/ens. Very informative. As usual with winter storms in the south it’s going to come down to 2 days out before we really know anything. What a headache for the weather services. I’m split on this. On the one hand the OP just doesn’t look “right” given the setup…but what is more likely? A once in a lifetime Miller A or the usual thing which is a Miller B hot mess that only folks north and west of I-40 cash in on? 

Time will tell the tale. 

Definitely the Miller B one. Lol. Nothing ever goes right winter weather wise around these parts. 

5 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Doing a real terrible job retiring. One more thing I noticed. Check out the GFS trend making this Thursday deal tighter and nudging it to the east on every run. Would be a shame if this eventually happened to our storm :)

Stay up for the party! Out to 48 and not huge differences just yet. One thing that may give hope is previous runs had energy in the southeast stronger than it is now at 500mb.