Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Sad to say the orientation of this just doesn't look optimal for Pittsburgh. Doesn't look like the heaviest bands will pivot in time for the big totals. NAM showing up to about 40" of snow now in Geauga County, Ohio.

image.thumb.png.5bce0087843c25965cfe4fa6d71e82d1.png 

Forget heavy bands, I would take just some snow showers at this point. Lol

5 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Live by the 850, die by the 850.

A strong 850 push cut totals for the central PA crew and benefited us for the 12/17/20 storm.

This time we were the nail. :(

The central PA crew also has multiple 15+ storms the last 10 years as well though, at least more than us.

Just now, lvfd404 said:

Between this storm and the Steeler game, someone needs to be on suicide watch...

The game result was expected. The storm isn’t over yet and may or may not pan out. Falling short of warning criteria would absolutely be a major, indisputable bust, but not exactly suicide material.

31 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

We've waited decades it seems for an apps runner, so to have it dry slot us and have ptype issues is exceptionally dissapointing.

This isn't a true miller a apps runner though, the double barrell low look is why we've got the dryslot vs a more developed storm tracking up inland from the South.

It is what it is, nothing wrong with pointing out things are going the wrong way. No doubt if at the end of this we are at like 5in it's a pretty big bust. We've been on the Eastern edge of the bigger totals and it looks like things might break the wrong way. Our loss is someone else's (Cleveland) gain, that's the name of the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

This isn't a true miller a apps runner though, the double barrell low look is why we've got the dryslot vs a more developed storm tracking up inland from the South.

It is what it is, nothing wrong with pointing out things are going the wrong way. No doubt if at the end of this we are at like 5in it's a pretty big bust. We've been on the Eastern edge of the bigger totals and it looks like things might break the wrong way. Our loss is someone else's (Cleveland) gain, that's the name of the game. 

But it’s always Ohio. Losing to Ohio at anything stings.

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Oh I know, but it seems like it is a recurring theme that 50-100 miles away from us gets crushed while we barely get warning level snows.

Is what it is. Our climo here for whatever reason is really awful for big snows. We used to kind of make up for it as we would get a ton of 3-5 inch clipper events and some nice LES events as well, but those have dried up.

When the hell was the last time we had a clipper that overperformed and gave us 5 inches even?

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

We needed this storm to be like the D.C. storm a couple weeks ago.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Man I started tracking back in 2010 and I have yet to get a worthwhile storm. This hobby is frustrating and for some reason I keep coming back.

December last year was worthwhile, and the March storm where we got a foot over a longtime was nice, and would have been much better if it was in January.

But in general we've been snake bitten here.

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Oh I know, but it seems like it is a recurring theme that 50-100 miles away from us gets crushed while we barely get warning level snows.

Is what it is. Our climo here for whatever reason is really awful for big snows. We used to kind of make up for it as we would get a ton of 3-5 inch clipper events and some nice LES events as well, but those have dried up.

When the hell was the last time we had a clipper that overperformed and gave us 5 inches even?

Climo does suck for big storms, to far away from the lakes outside of rare squall lines or persistent bands, to far from the ocean where storms want to develop due to natural baraclonic zone with cold land / warm ocean, on the wrong side of the apps so we don't benefit from CAD, I could probably go on lol

Climo does suck for big storms, to far away from the lakes outside of rare squall lines or persistent bands, to far from the ocean where storms want to develop due to natural baraclonic zone with cold land / warm ocean, on the wrong side of the apps so we don't benefit from CAD, I could probably go on lol

And how many other cities in this country regularly get sleet/zr with temps in the low 20s? Not many.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

You’re right, I should be happy for them. One of the worst non-Southern states, but at least they get to enjoy snow.

I mean I don't know the numbers, but central Ohio might be a worse climo zone than us lol. I'm not one to root for somewhere else to not get snow unless it's what needs to happen for my yard to jackpot. If I can get a big snow then the more the merrier.

1 minute ago, Gordo74 said:

It’s almost like being in a mountain range has some bearing on the amount of snow one gets.

Well, I'm talking about Harrisburg, and I mean you could also look at NYC, philly, and DC as well.

Like I said our saving grace used to be clippers we would get a few times a year, get us 2-4 and sometimes overperform and get us 6 inches. Those no longer happen for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Well, I'm talking about Harrisburg, and I mean you could also look at NYC, philly, and DC as well.

Like I said our saving grace used to be clippers we would get a few times a year, get us 2-4 and sometimes overperform and get us 6 inches. Those no longer happen for whatever reason.

You know why they no longer happen, but this probably isn’t the time or place to discuss it.

I mean I don't know the numbers, but central Ohio might be a worse climo zone than us lol. I'm not one to root for somewhere else to not get snow unless it's what needs to happen for my yard to jackpot. If I can get a big snow then the more the merrier.

I looked it up. Columbus is horrific lol. Their biggest snows the last few years are all like 3 inches. Again I think that goes back to the lack of clippers as they would usually do pretty well on those also.

The only people I actively root against are the MA crew. They've had so many huge storms the last 10-15 years it is insane.

Just now, TimB84 said:

You know why they no longer happen, but this probably isn’t the time or place to discuss it.

Oh, I know haha. Same with LES which while we never got huge hits from it I still remember plenty of days where we'd get 2-3 inches from bands and squalls, and have some really good bands set up over us.

Just now, KPITSnow said:

You mean the plains after a mountain range get a lot of snow? Seems pretty obvious for Denver. Harrisburg, Philly are in the same situation.