• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

The problem as I see it is that the date beyond which it’s difficult to impossible to get anything other than a nuisance snowfall that melts a few hours after the sun comes up is basically in GEFS/CMCE range and the pattern between now and then looks almost dead as far as winter chances go.

And as I detailed yesterday, if we truly don’t see any more snow, we’re dealing with the earliest end to winter in Pittsburgh’s history by some metrics.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

If by over you mean an end to any chance if sustained cold / snow cover / all snow events then I'd agree, but also state by this time of year that's probably true a majority of srasons. Definitely still reasonable to expect some overnight coatings or a well timed storm though for the next 6 weeks so not over by that metric.

Yeah, it’s unrealistic to think that there will be not one more snowflake this year.  Heading into March is the natural end to winter, but it’s nearly never a shutout.

30 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, it’s unrealistic to think that there will be not one more snowflake this year.  Heading into March is the natural end to winter, but it’s nearly never a shutout.

I’d love to believe this but the past two years and current modeled pattern don’t exactly inspire confidence in this statement.

19 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It's March, I don't much care about snow at this point.

I care about winter not ending on February 5th, which is what will have happened if we get next to nothing more. If we don’t get at least two more inches, we’re talking about historic late season snow futility. As in, at the least, never seen by anyone who is currently alive.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

I care about winter not ending on February 5th, which is what will have happened if we get next to nothing more. If we don’t get at least two more inches, we’re talking about historic late season snow futility. As in, at the least, never seen by anyone who is currently alive.

If it is what happens, can't do anything about it.  We still had cold periods after that time seeing as the month through yesterday was only .6 degrees above average (or essentially average), just really bad timing with precipitation.

8 minutes ago, SteelCity87 said:

As much as I love snow, by this time of the year I'm ready for warmth lol. 15 year old me would be disgusted. 

Honestly, January felt long.  It was nearly unrelenting cold and snow, which is great, but imagine three full months of that.  It'd be amazing and I do want to see it, but I'd get tired of it by February.

I have to admit I haven’t paid much attention to detail on the models recently. Any chance we can get the storm early next week to trend favorably for us, or is that a bridge too far? 0z EC seems to have it in the “almost good enough” zone.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:45 PM, Ahoff said:

Honestly, January felt long.  It was nearly unrelenting cold and snow, which is great, but imagine three full months of that.  It'd be amazing and I do want to see it, but I'd get tired of it by February.

January was ok. It wasn’t anything special.

8 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Pretty familiar look from mid winter for the Saturday storm potential. Heavy snow or watching someone N or NW swipe it?

Could go either way of course, but Looks like a Potentially rapidly deepening system laying the hammer down somewhere. 

image.png

Are there really people that would complain about 9" of snow in mid-March even though a foot is just NW?  I mean I can definitely think of one, but that's a damn big storm for the time of year.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Are there really people that would complain about 9" of snow in mid-March even though a foot is just NW?  I mean I can definitely think of one, but that's a damn big storm for the time of year.

Only if 11” was the forecast, and PIT got 9” and someone’s backyard only got 7”. I personally would be happy with the 3.1” we need to get to 30 on the season and that’s probably doable.

12z model suite spells disappointment for us. At least I have 4 days to accept that this, yet again, isn’t our storm and not be bitter watching snow pile up in the areas that always win (3/14/99 comes to mind - anyone remember that one?).