Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 12z GFS is actually a great example to have right after the 06z GFS.....while the 06z GFS shows how things can go right, the 12z GFS shows how things go wrong. We're reliant on timing since we don't have true downstream blocking. That -NAO is still east-based so it's not going to provide much resistance for cutters....not until it retrogrades more into the central part of the domain which it might after Xmas....but prior to that, we are still at the mercy of timing.

Reality will be in between.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I highly doubt my area gets nothing out of all of that with the cold that will be nearby....maybe a just a couple of inches on the front end, but total rainers is unlikely here.

To this point, the GEFS are actually a bit colder and snowier than the 06z suite lol

Gotta ignore the OP for now because its so susceptible to the "noise" at this range.

Focus is on the bigger ticket 'plausibility' out there around the 22nd but the foreground event over the weekened ( centered on 144 or so hours ...) is worth considering ... probably lower significance? sure,  but I think that's advisory icing in the interior ending with grits and flurries, with low snow/mix tots in southern VT/NH.

The air mass ahead is new post fropa.  Altho not excessively cold/dry by any stretch, pressures are rising through NNE - that tends to lead to more ageostrophic/925 mb N llv flow in the interior central/southern NE regions - probably feeding in lower DP.  Minor situation overall, but one that looks like a smoking gun for under-estimating hygroscopic cooling.  SO, with weaker WAA associated with that flat baroclinic bulge rippling by underneath, it "appears" from this range/blend, to be the right ratio wrt to not overwhelming the llv cold..   Probably some modest frontogenic tendencies  over top, too. 

The thing with the 22nd, ... to me, most GEF individual members carry an event from the TV up the or E of the App spine, and transfer some sort of Miller A/ B hybrid.   Obviously the 06z was an impressive 20 mb calving in 12 hours absurdity or whatever Kleenex and magazine that was. It was an outlier... Agree with Will.. the general flow scaffold from 100 W to Greenland provides the 'needle thread' ...   it is noted that GGEM dropped the system altogether. 

The Euro actually had that thing 3 days ago as a historic bomb cutting straight across ...which we rightfully 86 that silliness.  But, the 00z run ..as far as I can tell, doesn't even have it. It also looks to have fallen out of sync with it's own ensemble mean.

All the while, the hemisphere seems poised to click cogs into a -(wpo;epo) couplet up there, with the NAO probably doing it's thing as a transitive/non-linear large scale wave forcing - in other words... it magnitude and placement is wildly uncertain. 

Bottom line, vastly too early to be specific about the 22nd.

• Thanks 1

The analogy I like to think of is that since the OP is a higher resolution ensemble member, it is very sensitive to all of the "noise" that results from the vast chaos in the atmosphere at extended lead times. Thus while the lower resolution ensemble mean is more impervious to all of that noise and can therefore remain relatively stable. But higher resolution OP must endure that deafening noise and it is because of this that it is less adroit at making sense of everything as it swings wildly in an attempt to see the forest through the tress, so to speak. However, once inside of 72-96 hours or so, hearing everything is optimal.

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Reality will be in between.

Yeah unlikely we get skunked completely....esp once you are getting up into northern SNE. Long ways to go though before anything...even the 12/18-19 threat is 5 days out and most of us in SNE are not in the game with that threat....so we're still probably a week-plus out from our next snow threat. A lot can change.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I still like my attitude for these parts. If something happens around here before Christmas...gravy. I am looking more afterwards. 

If I lived in S Weymouth, I'd be planning a trip to Tahoe for the holidays...give poor Byrce the white xmas he deserves

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gather round my weenie friends, one and all, for a good, ole fashioned holiday circle jerk under the mistletoe

I'm looking forward to when that cold comes and I can't see across the street from a girthy CJ, while the exhaust clears the skies over Methuen enough to see the rings around Saturn. 

• Haha 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm looking forward to when that cold comes and I can't see across the street from a girthy CJ, while the exhaust clears the skies over Methuen enough to see the rings around Saturn. 

Not this year, brother....I'm looking forward to Bryce sledding in mud, while @BostonWX in Milton measures in feet.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah unlikely we get skunked completely....esp once you are getting up into northern SNE. Long ways to go though before anything...even the 12/18-19 threat is 5 days out and most of us in SNE are not in the game with that threat....so we're still probably a week-plus out from our next snow threat. A lot can change.

I guess it depends what one means by "game"  ... 

Even relative to 5 days out  mm...a minoring wintry profiled scenario is on the table to N CT/RI...  That's a suppress b-clinic open wave that's putting down icing/mix in the interior from what i'm looking at... probably light snow in southern VT.   Lest we forget, cold exertion in the bl/ageo forcing is routinely underestimated, even in higher resolution reputable guidance types - which frankly ..this latter has been rattled in confidence lately anyway.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You look at it initially and first take is the airmass sucks. But we sort of CAA during it. Otherwise, that would be a trash solution.

Kind of reminds of the event in January 2019....rain flipped to ice and snow from N to south, just before that arctic mother lode came in.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Kind of reminds of the event in January 2019....rain flipped to ice and snow from N to south, just before that arctic mother lode came in.

That slipped right down your fanny crack into ern MA. You were like 12 degrees when I was near freezing for a bit. We then cooled off at the surface as it warmed aloft.