• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

GFS not much different than last run, similar track, little stronger once again..

68c67f3f-ac1c-4cc7-9345-6e1ff0d51217 (1).gif

Models def seem to be starting to lock in on an eastern GL cutter followed by an OTS trailing wave. Hopefully we at least dry slot so can possibly enjoy the warmer temps outside for a time on Saturday. Might be able to make a run at 60° near and south of the thruway if the Euro and GFS are correct. 

• Haha 2

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

You're right it's a cutter pattern.

Ha. I did think the same thing though before seeing your post. It looks like it miiiiight be trying to give some hints of that pattern of which you speak. Until I see that ridge actually start to get pressed down akin to my snow weenie ego, I am skeptical of any clippers, screamers, maulers, etc. visiting from north of the border.

12 hours ago, Geez150 said:

It's funny you mentioned that,  because as I was out for a walk with the Mrs. I was just  thinking about this. That our winter daytime averages were right around the freeze mark give or take a degree. Now you raise that a few here or there and we are out of the  snow business  all together.  If 37-41 is our new winter weather I want zero part of any of that. I would  love to move and chase the cold and snow to Northern Maine or something like that but realistically that won't happen. I can only hope something  shifts back to cold winters while I am still young enough to care for cold and snow.

I have been thinking of this for the past few years as well.  Take a US map and draw a general east-west line where you expect winter to be primarily white or just hit and miss white. We happen to live JUST north of that line.  I would say the NY-PA border is a good general delineation….maybe a little south of the state line due to high elevations in much of northern PA.  Now add a few degrees and we’re quickly into “hit and miss” territory.  Not a lot of room to give, especially if you aren’t above 1,000-1,500ft in elevation.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Pretty clear we miss due to the cut. Ugh. This winter. I really couldn’t imagine we were in for a fourth crap winter but here we are. 
Spectacularly bad so far. No big changes in sight. Here’s for mid January. Something to really look forward toimage.thumb.png.3cd2fffedb91cdfeb2211a1a1b033e67.png

This will be 3 in a row here, locally. Figuring (optimistically) that we nickle and dime our way to 20" total by mid January, that leaves essentially 2 months to make up the deficit and get to ~120" (Avg IMBY).  It's not impossible but we'd need 50"/month to get there. In this pattern we'd be lucky to get half that thru all of March.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

This will be 3 in a row here, locally. Figuring (optimistically) that we get up to 20" total by mid January, that leaves essentially 2 months to make up the deficit and get to ~120" (Avg IMBY).  It's not impossible but we'd need 50"/month to get there. In this pattern we'd be lucky to get half that thru all of March.

I’m thinking 60”-70” at KBUF at best

• Like 1

Normally we would flip to some snow as the system moves NE but the trough is slow as balls lol And the surface low is out ahead of the trough causing southerly flow..

A series of mid level shortwaves will race ENE out ahead of
the longwave trough, supporting the development of one or two
significant waves of low pressure over the central Mississippi
Valley.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29 (1).png

icon_z500_vort_us_30 (1).png

• Haha 2

Well for those E/SE of the lakes, next best chance is some lake effect early next week before we do this all over again lol (another CF)..

A northwest flow of much colder air will allow lake effect snow to
develop southeast of the lakes Sunday afternoon and Sunday night.
This will likely bring some potential for accumulating snow, but it
remains too early to distill any details on precise band placement
or intensity. Northwest flow lake effect will continue through
Monday morning before boundary layer flow becomes more westerly
Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning. It should remain cold
enough for lake effect to continue east of the lakes through Tuesday
morning.

850MB temps bottom out in the -16C to -18C range Monday, supporting
highs in the 20s in most locations and teens North Country. This
push of cold air is very temporary however, with yet another
significant warming trend developing later next week as the trough
and cold air re-loads in the west.

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

GFS definitely a little better, actually some would probably be a mix-light snow.. Would be better than a washout lol

e4a6de85-a480-409b-a92c-881521149a07 (1).gif

That is the second wave on the GFS. It takes the first wave from West Virginia to Cape Cod and still gives us rain. It bombs this wave over the Canada Maritimes to sub 980 mb. It would be a blizzard in down east Maine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1