Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Gotcha, makes sense.  I still think when we had that huge blow down up here like 3 October’s ago (?), I’m not convinced the winds were that much above 50mph despite acres leveled.

I dunno, I still think personal perception of wind leads to over-estimates.  If you can get a 2-M gust in the 40-50 range I still think that can do a lot of damage.  But you are right, those trees see that NE wind built into their climo/growth.

Around here I’d say the Norway Maples can break near 50 even with our climo. Such annoying trees. 

• Haha 1

While there was damage, it was not widespread.  I've said I think it was the consistency of the higher gusts that led to more damage than normal.  From my own experience in these high wind events we only see a couple high gusts, this storm seemed to have these stronger gusts quite frequently.  I also think TB12s area may have fared worse than mine seeing that he's further N than where I am.  I don't disagree that the gusts were higher 50-100' up, but we don't measure winds there.  The few trees I saw damaged were a Spruce, notoriously easy to snap, weakened oaks, white pines, or more exposed trees where a limb or multiple truck can be easily snapped off.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What you have .. I saw outages 

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/power-outages

They weren't reported to Mass.gov or MEMA

Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has a MEMA outage map that displays service interruptions from all the electric companies on a town level.  The MEMA map does not:

TMLP

https://www.tmlp.com/

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That same neighbor, has had his house hit 3 times by these trees. I looked after the other night and he just had some larger branches in yard. Thought to myself well that’s good. No damage. Just saw today he had another Norway fall on his shed. Unluckiest house I know. :lol: 

This guy’s rant is great…

“Here’s why I hate Norway Maples:

This is one dirty tree, dropping trash at all seasons, including flower buds, two crops of seeds, twigs, branches, and copious amounts of leaves.

It sheds large branches from the top, then resprouts along the truck. Every time the wind blows large branches fall from the top of the tree, making me very nervous about my roof.

It makes a LOT of seedlings. I spend way too much time every spring and summer in an attempt to hand pull all of them.

Nothing grows underneath them. My flower beds along this neighbors fence line are empty. Every year I try to fill in these beds, and every year I watch in sadness as everything dies.

It is the last tree to lose its leaves in the fall, often not until after Thanksgiving, which means that having my gutters cleaned is a game of Russian roulette. Will the leaves fall before it snows? It’s been a hit and miss proposition.

I fear for my two dogs safety when they are in the yard. One of those falling branches would hurt them badly.  Its shallow roots also make it prone to blowdowns.“

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That same neighbor, has had his house hit 3 times by these trees. I looked after the other night and he just had some larger branches in yard. Thought to myself well that’s good. No damage. Just saw today he had another Norway fall on his shed. Unluckiest house I know. :lol: 

Just take 'em all down.  I hate having large trees too close to my house having to worry about one falling and damaging it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

While there was damage, it was not widespread.  I've said I think it was the consistency of the higher gusts that led to more damage than normal.  From my own experience in these high wind events we only see a couple high gusts, this storm seemed to have these stronger gusts quite frequently.  I also think TB12s area may have fared worse than mine seeing that he's further N than where I am.  I don't disagree that the gusts were higher 50-100' up, but we don't measure winds there.  The few trees I saw damaged were a Spruce, notoriously easy to snap, weakened oaks, white pines, or more exposed trees where a limb or multiple truck can be easily snapped off.

See he in theory would have weaker winds.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is one dirty tree, dropping trash at all seasons, including flower buds, two crops of seeds, twigs, branches, and copious amounts of leaves.

It sheds large branches from the top, then resprouts along the truck. Every time the wind blows large branches fall from the top of the tree, making me very nervous about my roof.

It makes a LOT of seedlings. I spend way too much time every spring and summer in an attempt to hand pull all of them.

Nothing grows underneath them. My flower beds along this neighbors fence line are empty. Every year I try to fill in these beds, and every year I watch in sadness as everything dies.

It is the last tree to lose its leaves in the fall, often not until after Thanksgiving, which means that having my gutters cleaned is a game of Russian roulette. Will the leaves fall before it snows? It’s been a hit and miss proposition.

I fear for my two dogs safety when they are in the yard. One of those falling branches would hurt them badly.  Its shallow roots also make it prone to blowdowns.“

All true. Take ‘em down. 

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just take 'em all down.  I hate having large trees too close to my house having to worry about one falling and damaging it.

So there is this house I walk by all the time when I go pick up my son from school. Giant oaks in front yard close to house. I walk by every day and say to myself man I would take those out. Now part of one is through their roof. Sucks. 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, Angus said:

just back from my parents house in Norwell. Unbelievable - if they have power by next Tuesday I would be surprised. Power lines down the entire length of the street. According to neighbors, the entire town is like this.

Power came on late this afternoon - multiple national grid trucks descended on the neighborhood. Call me impressed.

I have a huge one that would be a pizza cutter through my house. My neighbors all around me have had trees down over the last few years, but I’ve only lost a limb and that was due to it being hollow. These last few big wind events have only dropped some branches. So if it can rock through these events I feel pretty good.

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can vouch for that, I have a couple big ones, PITA.