• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

You bring up an interesting/extra point in saying extreme, all time...at least the way I read your post.  Summer heat has been extreme for much of the country and locals in each area have certainly taken notice but I feel like as a whole we are in this mode of hyper drama where daily extremes are almost expected now.  Not just in weather but in all phases of life.    It has been something coming on for years but the daily covid updates and people sitting at home seemed to to really stoke it.  I believe that 20 years ago the Palouse and Mid Central heat Waves would be constant headline news now you have to search to find them on a typical news web site.   Another example would be the US Basketball team.  That loss to Nigeria was SUPER historic on several levels.  One of the biggest upsets in sports history.  Yet its just a news item that comes and goes with the daily drama.  

And at the end of the day, we’re experiencing a relatively typical (by 21st century standards) summer. Does it really have any effect on me or anyone I know, other than the handful of friends and relatives I have in Portland (all are alive and well), that they broke an all time record high by 9 degrees? Does it have an effect on me that Death Valley just recorded the highest reliably measured temperature on earth and the warmest low ever observed in the US this past weekend? What personally changed in my life when I heard that massive numbers of people in Michigan died of covid while I was sitting on my couch? But just because it doesn’t affect me doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter to me. Many people don’t care about a thing in the world unless it affects them. But to your point, we only know about a lot of this stuff because we take the time to read about it. Some people don’t.

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And at the end of the day, we’re experiencing a relatively typical (by 21st century standards) summer. Does it really have any effect on me or anyone I know, other than the handful of friends and relatives I have in Portland (all are alive and well), that they broke an all time record high by 9 degrees? Does it have an effect on me that Death Valley just recorded the highest reliably measured temperature on earth and the warmest low ever observed in the US this past weekend? What personally changed in my life when I heard that massive numbers of people in Michigan died of covid while I was sitting on my couch? But just because it doesn’t affect me doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter to me. Many people don’t care about a thing in the world unless it affects them. But to your point, we only know about a lot of this stuff because we take the time to read about it. Some people don’t.

Also newspapers being obsolete and stuff. And the elephant in the room, the thing that dominated the news cycle for several years before covid and still kind of does.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I think everything happening effects us in one way or another, weather or otherwise, but I guess my point is less about who reads it and more about how little attention is paid to it because no one has time to deal with the drama when a new drama happens every day.  I think recording the hottest temp in the history of modern earth lends credence to this summer being a bit more extreme than typical.   If we were recording daily highs over 100 here the local yokels would be crying bloody murder about climate change yet we just recorded our 3rd hottest June ever and there are a lot of people who think we are having a cool summer.  LOL.  The news cycle has trained many into believing if its not super extreme its not worth considering. 

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think everything happening effects us in one way or another, weather or otherwise, but I guess my point is less about who reads it and more about how little attention is paid to it because no one has time to deal with the drama when a new drama happens every day.  I think recording the hottest temp in the history of modern earth lends credence to this summer being a bit more extreme than typical.   If we were recording daily highs over 100 here the local yokels would be crying bloody murder about climate change yet we just recorded our 3rd hottest June ever and there are a lot of people who think we are having a cool summer.  LOL.  The news cycle has trained many into believing if its not super extreme its not worth considering. 

Meh, top 3 months happen at least once a year these days, it’s nothing noteworthy. /s

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Meh, top 3 months happen at least once a year these days, it’s nothing noteworthy. /s

So we need to set records every month or not talk about it, right?  We will not rest until all record years start with the number 2!   And the US Basketball team is good until they start losing to the likes of the Swanson School of Engineering Pitt Campus team? Ha. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

So we need to set records every month or not talk about it, right?  We will not rest until all record years start with the number 2! 

That’s what I’m thinking. Why should we care that it was hot at MDT in June if it was hotter in 1943?

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

So we need to set records every month or not talk about it, right?  We will not rest until all record years start with the number 2!   And the US Basketball team is good until they start losing to the likes of the Swanson School of Engineering Pitt Campus team? Ha. 

The Swanson School of Engineering Pitt Campus team would probably give the actual Pitt basketball team all they could handle these days.

45 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You bring up an interesting/extra point in saying extreme, all time...at least the way I read your post.  Summer heat has been extreme for much of the country and locals in each area have certainly taken notice but I feel like as a whole we are in this mode of hyper drama where daily extremes are almost expected now.  Not just in weather but in all phases of life.    It has been something coming on for years but the daily covid updates and people sitting at home seemed to to really stoke it.  I believe that 20 years ago the Palouse and Mid Central heat waves would be constant headline news now you have to search to find them on a typical news web site.   Another example would be the US Basketball team.  That loss to Nigeria was SUPER historic on several levels.  One of the biggest upsets in sports history.  Yet its just a news item that comes and goes with the daily drama.  

Damn, to your point, I had no idea the US team lost to Nigeria until you mentioned it ha.  I mean, it's just an exhibition but still, yikes.....

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Damn, to your point, I had no idea the US team lost to Nigeria until you mentioned it ha.  I mean, it's just an exhibition but still, yikes.....

I happened to see it at some point. Reminds me of the 2004 loss to Puerto Rico in the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I read it was the highest point spread upset in the history of any betting line basketball game that involved Professional players.  Some NCAA games have had higher spread beats but you are dealing with kids there so a little more expected.  Basically a team of very highly paid professionals were punked by a team of mixed low level pros (a few lesser NBA players on the Nigeria team) an amateur's.  

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I read it was the highest point spread upset in the history of any betting line basketball game that involved Professional players.  Some NCAA games have had higher spread beats but you are dealing with kids there so a little more expected.  Basically a team of very highly paid professionals were punked by a team of mixed low level pros (a few lesser NBA players on the Nigeria team) an amateur's.  

Also brings to mind the time a 16th seeded UMBC squad won by 20 against a top overall seed, can’t remember who.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Also brings to mind the time a 16th seeded UMBC squad won by 20 against a top overall seed, can’t remember who.

That was historic as well but the spread was only 20.  The US/Nigeria game was 30!  Who won the NCAA championship the following year?  My memory is hazy with all this daily drama keep up.

Ironically UVA is involved in a higher spread upset when you consider the Chaminade game.  But again...dealing with kids.  

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That was historic as well but the spread was only 20.  The US/Nigeria game was 30!  Who won the NCAA championship the following year?  My memory is hazy with all this daily drama keep up.

Ironically UVA is involved in a higher spread upset when you consider the Chaminade game.  But again...dealing with kids.  

Exactly, there is much, much more parity in college basketball than there is in international basketball. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It speaks to the evolution of American basketball over the last decade plus, where there is more isolation ball and reliance on the three point shot.  A team of connected players playing as a cohesive unit with sound fundamental team principles can pull off the occasional upset over the team of far superior athletes playing as individuals.  We have seen this in college from time to time where a smaller mid major team has a group of senior starters that have been playing together for years and can outplay a more athletic group of one-and-dones from the power schools.  NBA basketball in the 80s and 90s was wildly more entertaining that today's version, in my humble opinion.

15 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Exactly, there is much, much more parity in college basketball than there is in international basketball. 

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It speaks to the evolution of American basketball over the last decade plus, where there is more isolation ball and reliance on the three point shot.  A team of connected players playing as a cohesive unit with sound fundamental team principles can pull off the occasional upset over the team of far superior athletes playing as individuals.  We have seen this in college from time to time where a smaller mid major team has a group of senior starters that have been playing together for years and can outplay a more athletic group of one-and-dones from the power schools.  NBA basketball in the 80s and 90s was wildly more entertaining that today's version, in my humble opinion.

Which brings up a lot of questions such as how entertaining is NCAA when core teams only stay together a year vs. the old fashioned 4 year players.  But its hard to fathom or excuse Kevin Durant, Jayson Tatum, Dame Lillard, and Bradley Beal losing this game outside of simply not caring.  Interesting stat.  It was the first time the US lost to an African nation but on the flip side, the US had their largest ever margin of victory the last time these two teams played in 2012.  So Nigeria is now arguably both the best and worst loss in US International Basketball history (with Pros playing). 

• Like 1

The US losing to Nigeria isn't the worst loss for USA basketball (hello, Puerto Rico) but it's the biggest win for African basketball, for sure.

None of the US players had any interest in playing that game that means nothing after a long season on a Saturday night, you could tell. I also have a theory Pop played to let Mike Brown have a chance at the win so he can get another NBA job, but that's conspiracy level stuff lol. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Which brings up a lot of questions such as how entertaining is NCAA when core teams only stay together a year vs. the old fashioned 4 year players.  But its hard to fathom or excuse Kevin Durant, Jayson Tatum, Dame Lillard, and Bradley Beal losing this game outside of simply not caring.  Interesting stat.  It was the first time the US lost to an African nation but on the flip side, the US had their largest ever margin of victory the last time these two teams played in 2012.  So Nigeria is now arguably both the best and worst loss in US International Basketball history (with Pros playing). 

As a Wisconsin alum, 2015 still hurts. Probably the only real shot I had of seeing a national title, but the four year players got run over by a bunch of one and done kids from Duke. Hope the Suns win so Frank Kaminsky can get a ring, even if not as a Badger.

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

The US losing to Nigeria isn't the worst loss for USA basketball (hello, Puerto Rico) but it's the biggest win for African basketball, for sure.

None of the US players had any interest in playing that game that means nothing after a long season on a Saturday night, you could tell. I also have a theory Pop played to let Mike Brown have a chance at the win so he can get another NBA job, but that's conspiracy level stuff lol. 

I cannot find the betting odds for the 2004 game but the last article I read suggested the US was favorited by less against PR.   There is also the 1972 loss to the Soviets.    But I agree the only logical explanation is not caring to play defense. 

7 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

As a Wisconsin alum, 2015 still hurts. Probably the only real shot I had of seeing a national title, but the four year players got run over by a bunch of one and done kids from Duke. Hope the Suns win so Frank Kaminsky can get a ring, even if not as a Badger.

Yes, one and done has harmed the cohesiveness of NCAA basketball for sure. 

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

In 2015, my alma mater was robbed essentially from playing Wisconsin in the Sweet 16 (no over the back called against Notre Dame on the last-second buzzer beater). SFA would of beaten that Wisconsin team - they were fast and played man to man and that was the Achilles heel of that Badger team. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I didn't see much wind damage out there, or in the Danville/Berwick area in my travels today.

Seemed to be lots of reports that the line, at least in the LSV, seemed to peter out wind wise going into the evening despite the rain staying torrential in some of those areas.    Maybe a by product of the line starting to die.  Interesting wonderment. 

38 minutes ago, canderson said:

In 2015, my alma mater was robbed essentially from playing Wisconsin in the Sweet 16 (no over the back called against Notre Dame on the last-second buzzer beater). SFA would of beaten that Wisconsin team - they were fast and played man to man and that was the Achilles heel of that Badger team. 

The SFA robbery was actually in 2016. UW went on to lose to that Notre Dame team in the Sweet 16. But I agree that a game against UW would have been winnable for SFA. Seems we all have our reasons for hating Notre Dame.