Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Opiniated speak (drivel?) ahead:

I look at the O's as the common man's team. I say that in a good way.  They are based in a big city but the city is sort of a sister city to neighbor Washington.  I know very few O's fans who are working for investments firms or work at the largest law firm around.  I am sure they are plenty of them I just do not know them.  All the O's fans I know work normal jobs, have mortgages, and live outside the City.  Almost all the Yankee fans I know are the exact opposite.  They live in a world of Go Big or Go Home as to their lives.  Same as a lot of Red Sox fans (no Offense Canderson).  A lot of people at Yankees games are there as part of a business deal of some kind.   If I had to break down in front a Yankees fan or O's fans house I would choose the O's in a heartbeat.  LOL 

But aren’t a lot of your MA friends O’s fans? I mean I would guess more Nats at this point, I was lurking in their thread and saw something about Max Scherzer awhile back and had to restrain myself really hard to avoid posting that video I posted in here yesterday of Jose Tabata leaning into a 2-2 pitch to break up Scherzer’s perfect game with two outs in the 9th.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

But aren’t a lot of your MA friends O’s fans? I mean I would guess more Nats at this point, I was lurking in their thread and saw something about Max Scherzer awhile back and had to restrain myself really hard to avoid posting that video I posted in here yesterday of Jose Tabata leaning into a 2-2 pitch to break up Scherzer’s perfect game with two outs in the 9th.

I have no idea who the MA folks like in MLB.  I know a few are fellow Caps fans. Remember I said friends and I would not call anyone in the MA a friend.  LOL.  Especially if they wear a Cape. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Yeah, it’s ugly. The race is on to see if PIT finishes July above or below normal temperature for the month.

18Z GFS is a smidge warmer on Thursday out our way.  Pretty warm Wed both your side and ours.  But really minor changes.  Unlike an HH run to not change much a week out.   500 Heights anomalies are more blunted but still hold back the real heat through the week.   Large scale changes after that.  Can we say Polar Vortex in the summer?  I see the 540 line and his 4 younger bros to our north.  May not change the final outcome a ton but a much different look in fantasy land.   Big changes for the upper midwest as to the ridge being bullied down. 

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

18Z GFS is a smidge warmer on Thursday out our way.  Pretty warm Wed both your side and ours.  But really minor changes.  Unlike an HH run to not change much a week out.   500 Heights anomalies are more blunted but still hold back the real heat through the week.   Large scale changes after that.  Can we say Polar Vortex in the summer?  I see the 540 line and his 4 younger bros to our north.  May not change the final outcome a ton but a much different look in fantasy land.   Big changes for the upper midwest as to the ridge being bullied down. 

Back and forth fantasy land. Better than all red.

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Bring that trough near us and we are talking record cool.  Something interesting to watch. 

I hate to say it, but I’d rather have record heat that week than record cold. Record cold that week would mean a miserable vacation.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I hate to say it, but I’d rather have record heat that week than record cold. Record cold that week would mean a miserable vacation.

Understand.  It's hard for weather to be good for everyone and record cool is not necessarily a good thing.  I was more commenting on air that chilly showing up so close...thinking it was probably fairly rare.  The chances if it affecting us directly are probably little to none.

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

And not really directly related but the whole Colts debacle is still something that people think about when they think about Baltimore.  IMO,  Baltimore is the better city of Washington and Baltimore but Washington gets all get attention.  Even down to the Washington Capitals/Baltimore Skipjacks thing that used to exist before skedaddling to Portland, ME. 

Skipjacks and Bears had some legendary games in the 1980s. Those were the glory years of the AHL. 

I can't talk about your first sentence...to this day, still too painful. 

I refuse to root for the Ravens. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

So EC still has the next week saving trough though Wed is a bit toasty down by me.    In the area of a :thumbsdown: see below graphic

image.png.30eb33376d024fa755a188a4531e1bbf.png

Crazy that you have been pointing to that for the last 6 weeks. Northern Tier vs Southern Tier is difference between significantly above average rainfall and drought. You are probably at Exit 1 on I-81 while I am at 197 so there is a ton of miles between us but still a huge disparity this year.

8 hours ago, Greensnow said:

Crazy that you have been pointing to that for the last 6 weeks. Northern Tier vs Southern Tier is difference between significantly above average rainfall and drought. You are probably at Exit 1 on I-81 while I am at 197 so there is a ton of miles between us but still a huge disparity this year.

57 cloudy degrees here this AM.  

We did actually get lucky with a bit over 1/2" on Wednesday.  I am the equivalent of the last exit of 81 but well to the East near the Franklin/Adams county line.  I could walk to MD in under one minute once out my door. Many areas to my south are dry right now as well.  But it would not matter how much rain we had if we got none for two weeks.  That is too long when the sun is beating down on the ground the whole time.   Not going to get a major drought in two weeks but yards and human planted growth will not do well.   Ironically a part of North Central is PA currently in a D0.  We were going to get this designation here if it had not rained this week.

image.thumb.png.9d6544936658081181702b48de2cb49e.png

9 hours ago, TimB84 said:

And to the surprise of probably no one, Super Trough/Summer Polar Vortex is gone at 6Z.   Though 6Z is much more sturdy with the trough next week making what was a 100 degree Thursday into one that does not hit 80.    Still toasty over here Wed. 

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And to the surprise of probably no one, Super Trough/Summer Polar Vortex is gone at 6Z.   Though 6Z is much more sturdy with the trough next week making what was a 100 degree Thursday into one that does not hit 80.    Still toasty over here Wed. 

Seasonable to slightly above will make for a pleasant week in the MA’s eminent domain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I can’t think of a better way to enjoy a vacation than trolling a weather forum.

You forgot your sarcasm emoti.  With that said I was once up in PA for family get together vaca,  from Florida, when a snow storm hit and gave regular updates on here from the Route 15 Country Inn near the Gettysburg Turnpike exit.  LOL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

As long as the now-vaccinated Tom Hanks and Rudy Gobert don’t get covid again, we should be good to avoid another shutdown.

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You forgot your sarcasm emoti.  With that said I was once up in PA for family get together vaca,  from Florida, when a snow storm hit and gave regular updates on here from the Route 15 Country Inn near the Gettysburg Turnpike exit.  LOL. 

I didn’t forget anything, that statement wasn’t meant in sarcasm. :lol:

Back in the good old days, I used to post a lot in sports forums. That was until someone called me out for making too many posts about weather.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Thanks for sharing, troubling story to read. I hope she can recover. 

Hershey connection to Tampa, Dave Mishkin was the radio voice of the Bears in the mid 1990s through their Cup championship in '97. He left Hershey to become the radio voice of the Lightning, where he remains today. 

Also of note from yesterday - I just read last evening that the Blue Jays are heading back to Canada! They begin playing up north on their next homestand...final game in Buffalo was Wednesday night. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks for sharing, troubling story to read. I hope she can recover. 

Hershey connection to Tampa, Dave Mishkin was the radio voice of the Bears in the mid 1990s through their Cup championship in '97. He left Hershey to become the radio voice of the Lightning, where he remains today. 

Also of note from yesterday - I just read last evening that the Blue Jays are heading back to Canada! They begin playing up north on their next homestand...final game in Buffalo was Wednesday night. 

Interesting Tampa news.  I bet his move was part new work and part retirement.  If I had to go back to Florida, Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota would my choice.  Would need someone to pony up and get me living accommodations though as its out of control down there. 

Blue Jays headed north for the summer. 

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Interesting Tampa news.  I bet his move was part new work and part retirement.  If I had to go back to Florida, Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota would my choice.  Would need someone to pony up and get me living accommodations though as its out of control down there. 

Blue Jays headed north for the summer. 

Baseball is back at Rogers Centre! 

Speaking of Centre, why was the former home of the Caps and Bullets spelled Centre, and not Center? 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Speaking of Centre, why was the former home of the Caps and Bullets spelled Centre, and not Center? 

Could ask the same of the home of the Happy Valley -- Centre County.  Although that one's pretty self-explanatory, named after its central location in the state.  As we used to say at Penn State, it's equally inaccessible from all parts of the state haha.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I am not sure of the answer to your question but it does bring up a bit of trivia very much related to our current convo.  Abe Pollin wanted to move the Baltimore Bullets to the DC area.  In relation to having to build an arena he needed a second tenant....of which it was decided that tenant would be the Caps.  But Abe had never been to a hockey game so it was all new to him.     So the Caps were born just to help facilitate the Bullets move from Baltimore to DC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am not sure of the answer to your question but it does bring up a bit of trivia very much related to our current convo.  Abe Pollin wanted to move the Baltimore Bullets to the DC area.  In relation to having to build an arena he needed a second tenant....of which it was decided that tenant would be the Caps.  But Abe had never been to a hockey game so it was all new to him.     So the Caps were born just to help facilitate the Bullets move from Baltimore to DC.

Ah yes, the good old Washington Bullets. Can’t those MA folk give their teams names that don’t have to be changed?

15 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Ah yes, the good old Washington Bullets. Can’t those MA folk give their teams names that don’t have to be changed?

And Cleveland.  You are surrounded by racists and dangerous former names.   I will admit that Washington Wizards has a more easy flow to it than Baltimore Wizards would have.    The cancel culture may come for the Pirates next though!