• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

17 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Sauss, I have to quibble with you here, I believe we set the record at 69 that day, or are you talking about your own personal readings and not the official MDT data?  Yes, I'm annoying haha.  Funny enough, that November actually ended up quite cold at 4.5 degrees below normal and also contained the Thanksgiving slop storm where I got 3.5" of snow (I believe maybe more to the north and west?).  Also that's the month where Buffalo received the historic lake effect event of 5-7 feet of snow.  I'll stop now.

i'll assure your records and documentation is better then mine. I scribble on note paper :thumbsup: 

68 is what i recorded at my house.  

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My record to add to this great disco - 79 degrees on 2/21/2018. Day ended under a Tornado Warning for the historic district. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

MDT recorded a  26 degree positive departure that day.  Do not have departure stats but that is a healthy one. 

A footnote to that event: Pittsburgh recorded its warmest day ever in meteorological winter with a high of 78 on the 20th and a +37 temp departure (low of 59). Incredible.

• Confused 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

A footnote to that event: Pittsburgh recorded its warmest day ever in meteorological winter with a high of 78 on the 20th and a +37 temp departure (low of 59). Incredible.

Wow. 

It'd be interesting to know how many times you've had a 37 degree departure from normal (higher or lower) at any point in the year. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Wow. 

It'd be interesting to know how many times you've had a 37 degree departure from normal (higher or lower) at any point in the year. 

I would guess that 1/19/94 (high of -3 and low of -22) would be the only day that might qualify. I think the normals were somewhere around 33/18 at that point, so that looks like a -38 departure from those normals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That low of 59 is incredible.  The low is a double digit depart of the normal high. 

The 59 ties for a record warm low for February and #2 for met winter, after 1/22/1906 (61).

Also, there are days as late as 3/9 with record warm lows in the 40s at PIT and days as late as 4/4 with record warm lows in the 50s. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I would guess that 1/19/94 (high of -3 and low of -22) would be the only day that might qualify. I think the normals were somewhere around 33/18 at that point, so that looks like a -38 departure from those normals.

Thinking about my location - it was a 40 degree departure for me that day. I also bottomed out at -22, but my normal low was 22 from what I remember. 

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Also the aforementioned 1/22/1906. Normals are currently 36/21. That day was 75/61. 

Looks like the record Max Low for Met winter at MDT is 59 on 1/8/98.  Apologies if that was already mentioned.  I skimmed through some posts to catch up.   What is surprising to me about this is that it has never stayed 60 or above one night.  We have had so many anomalous warm periods the last few years I thought maybe it did it once.   The highest low in Feb is 51 which is actually not all that warm. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Looks like the record Max Low for Met winter at MDT is 59 on 1/8/98.  Apologies if that was already mentioned.  I skimmed through some posts to catch up.   What is surprising to me about this is that it has never stayed 60 or above one night.  We have had so many anomalous warm periods the last few years I thought maybe it did it once.   The highest low in Feb is 51 which is actually not all that warm. 

Ah, looks like the February 2017 heat wave wasn’t as significant an event for you as it was for us.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Lot's of crazy highs but in contradiction with the HIA talk the last few days, MDT cooled down well in Feb 2017.   75 and 37.  Summer on the front, winter on the back. 

Our lows for 2/22-24 were all in the 50s. That month was our 13th consecutive month above normal (the streak got to 18 before August clocked in below normal).

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

I remember than Feb 24 2017 day because a friend got married. They rushed that morning to move the wedding outside to relish in the lone opportunity for an outdoor wedding sans coats in February. 

Also had a February wedding, but thankfully the high on my wedding day was 34. But the outdoor photos were COLD. :snowing:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My record to add to this great disco - 79 degrees on 2/21/2018. Day ended under a Tornado Warning for the historic district. 

Here is what I have in my notes for that period........Record highs at MDT, 77 on 2/20 & 79 on 2/21. Many stations like Lanc. and York went over 80 for 1st time ever in Feb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1