• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

19 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Same. I’m still sitting at 84 and yesterday was 86. Not one time with solar cover on. I’m leaning towards not putting it on this year unless we get a real cool spell if a week or so, and even then with temps back in the 80’s for a few days it’ll jump right back.

Great start to summer, I expect it to continue with above average temps the next few months. June is a virtual lock already with the departures so far. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Great start to summer, I expect it to continue with above average temps the next few months. June is a virtual lock already with the departures so far. 

maybe you should look again for next few weeks. Doubt June will end up above average for this month. 

Interesting model verification “experience” here today. Modeling has been showing far WNY on the edge of the mid continent heat dome around this timeframe as the northeast “heat wave” breaks down. Sure enough here we are today in BUF with a quite toasty airmass overhead, mid 80’s now with dews rising and sun bearing down, while Watertown is a drizzly low 70’s. I imagine temps and dews steadily drop as one trucks down the 90 from BUF today. Nice work models. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Interesting model verification “experience” here today. Modeling has been showing far WNY on the edge of the mid continent heat dome around this timeframe as the northeast “heat wave” breaks down. Sure enough here we are today in BUF with a quite toasty airmass overhead, mid 80’s now with dews rising and sun bearing down, while Watertown is a drizzly low 70’s. I imagine temps and dews steadily drop as one trucks down the 90 from BUF today. Nice work models. 

I'm heading to Adirondacks to hit up 5 more peaks tomorrow and will be making that exact drive. Leaving at 10 pm, hiking at 5 am, driving home tomorrow night. 3 of us going, 18 mile hike. Wish me luck with my allergies and black flies. :lol:

@wolfie09 You're close to dacks, how are black flies over there?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm heading to Adirondacks to hit up 5 more peaks tomorrow and will be making that exact drive. Leaving at 10 pm, hiking at 5 am, driving home tomorrow night. 3 of us going, 18 mile hike. Wish me luck with my allergies and black flies. :lol:

That’s a seriously quick trip to bag 5 high peaks, good luck!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Not bad modeling.  Its another low humidity, sunny day here near Sizzlecuse.  It is refreshing to get rid of the mega humid airmass.  I do enjoy it - once in a while - because it makes it feel so much better when it clears out.  That's one of the weather advantages of not living down south, where humid airmasses stay locked in for long periods even if the temps are in the 80s.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah not even sure what the hell those are lmao I know they tend to be bad in new England, especially Maine..For the most part we just deal with your typical house fly, huge horseflies and biting midges which suck lol

• Haha 1

While it will feel much better than the last week or two, I'm not seeing much "below" normal temps forecasted..

KSYR for example average is in the mid 70s and only 1 day(Wednesday) is forecast below that, it's more of an average week with a day or two above/below over the next 7..

At this point I'm happy with Average temps lol

• Like 1

Same could be said for pulaski, Average to slightly below, it's going to feel nice either way, now the 3 days around this time period is above average lol

Monday
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 74. West wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Monday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 51.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 70.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Screenshot_20210612-103119.png

51 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

While it will feel much better than the last week or two, I'm not seeing much "below" normal temps forecasted..

KSYR for example average is in the mid 70s and only 1 day(Wednesday) is forecast below that, it's more of an average week with a day or two above/below over the next 7..

At this point I'm happy with Average temps lol

It's hard to believe mid 70s is average here right now, when it seems like we spend so much time in the 80s and 90s. It's also hard to believe that the peak of the highest "average high" is just around 82 degrees, when again, 86 to 94 degrees seems like a normality here...at least since I moved here. Like I've said before, I think Syracuse is experiencing rapid warming compared to some other locales across the country.

• Like 1

Just perusing some climo stats and seeing every month at BUF since January has had below normal precipitation. And not by a little...each month .5 inch or more below average. This following a bone dry summer last year. The lake shadow will always reduce precip chances here in summer but the lack of any region wide precip events lately has been quite pronounced. 

The remnants of a system across the Great Lakes will spread
clouds into the area overnight and toward Sunday morning. Some
accompanying decaying rain showers will be possible, however
coverage should be minimal at best. The mid-level vort and
associated short wave passage are a bit faster on the 12z
guidance than previous runs. This will get the best PVA past
most of WNY before destabilization starts to occur in the
afternoon ahead of the wave. Thus the best PoPs were centered
from the interior Southern Tier toward Lewis County with almost
no chance of afternoon rainfall in the areas inside the lake
breezes. What convection does develop will have about 30 kts of
shear on northwesterly flow aloft and 1000-1500 J/kg of MUCAPE
to work with. Thus, a couple of the storms could get a bit burly
right as they exit the area eastward into the NWS Binghamton`s
area.

As the short wave transitions eastward on Sunday night, things
will rapidly wind down and drier air again enters the picture.

&&

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...
A shortwave trough over Northwestern Ontario Monday morning will
track east into northern New England by Monday night. Showers are
possible in the morning across western NY as upstream weakening
convection tracks towards the region. Daytime heating and steepening
lapse rates will increase the risk of showers and thunderstorms in
the afternoon and evening. A cold front across Northwestern Ontario
and the Central Great Lakes will approach during the day and likely
track across the region overnight into Tuesday. Scattered showers
and isolated storms are possible but the most notably feature with
this front is the cold air behind it. A trough will settle across
the region Tuesday into Tuesday night. This will begin a period of
below normal temperatures into mid-week.

High temperatures will rise into the mid to upper 70s Monday,
falling to the 50s Monday night. High temperatures Tuesday will be
slightly below normal with highs in the low to mid 70s, falling to
the upper 40s to low 50s Tuesday night.

If anyone in the BUF area has a reliable outdoor thermometer please do me a favor and check your obs against the NWS. They had that sensor problem last year that was only fixed after we pointed it out. I’m noticing temp obs consistently coming in 3-5+ deg higher than surrounding areas. Case in point, 71 deg ob right now at BUF while NF is 65 and Roch is 62. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

If anyone in the BUF area has a reliable outdoor thermometer please do me a favor and check your obs against the NWS. They had that sensor problem last year that was only fixed after we pointed it out. I’m noticing temp obs consistently coming in 3-5+ deg higher than surrounding areas. Case in point, 71 deg ob right now at BUF while NF is 65 and Roch is 62. 

Last update 10:37 pm EDT Jun 12, 2021

It looks accurate temps are 66-67 around airport at all the weather stations I'm seeing and last update was 90 minutes ago. It's 65 here.

52 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Thanks for checking. Any snow or ice patches left up on the high peaks?

We actually canceled last minute my allergies flared up again and need to be 100% to do that range, one of the hardest in the dacks.

Max/Min temps yesterday

MAXIMUM         83   4:06 PM 
 MINIMUM         62   2:09 AM

Wow: Death Valley. Imagine having a low of 99?

Wednesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 126.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 98.
Thursday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 126.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 99.
Friday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 126.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 99.
Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 126.

• Haha 1