Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

On 6/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, JTA66 said:

IMG_0429.thumb.jpeg.e95ec5be3253c4649c9f2410ea36b242.jpeg

One of my sisters had texted a month ago about a huge swarm that had gathered on one of her neighbor's now ailing/mostly dead Ash tree.  She said she was out in her backyard and heard a loud humming sound coming from that tree and looked up towards the upper part of the tree (almost 30 ft up) and saw them swarming and crawling around a hole in the collar stump left after a large branch had been pruned from the tree years ago.  Must be the season!

Found one in my back yard! Wife was gardening when she heard a "THWAP" against the side of the house. She sent me this while I was at work earlier. Don't know where he came from but it has to be local, right? He did fly away after she took this. Also there are definitely a bunch more if you drive I-176 about a mile south of the 422.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Found one in my back yard! Wife was gardening when she heard a "THWAP" against the side of the house. She sent me this while I was at work earlier. Don't know where he came from but it has to be local, right? He did fly away after she took this. Also there are definitely a bunch more if you drive I-176 about a mile south of the 422.

How far are you from RedSky? He might have had a couple escape and ride the northeasterly breeze down your way. Still not a one to report down here.

I golfed at Princeton Country Club on Monday afternoon and the brood x's were everywhere! They were so loud, made it pretty difficult to concentrate between the noise and the little ****ers flying at you while you're trying to hit. My best shot of the day though came as one landed on me as I was in my backswing... Surprisingly there are none though in my neck of the woods in Hopewell and none down in Levittown either. Weird distribution of them.

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Heard my first crickets last night. They may have been out there for awhile, but it's the first night I've slept with open windows this week. Probably have another month to go before the katydids show up.

Yep, a couple nights ago while taking a walk I heard a couple. Seen a couple white butterflies during the day as well.

No Cicadas, lightning bugs, spotted lanternfly, stink bugs, killer hornets and what happened to the occasional grasshopper or praying mantis?

Meanwhile, while reading the North Wales facebook community page, there's a snapping turtle roaming around...WTF?    61F/Overcast

NW.jpg

• Weenie 1

47 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep, a couple nights ago while taking a walk I heard a couple. Seen a couple white butterflies during the day as well.

No Cicadas, lightning bugs, spotted lanternfly, stink bugs, killer hornets and what happened to the occasional grasshopper or praying mantis?

Meanwhile, while reading the North Wales facebook community page, there's a snapping turtle roaming around...WTF?    61F/Overcast

NW.jpg

A friend of mine up in Sellersville has one borrowing in her yard to lay eggs. Anyone want a pet snapper?

49 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

NW.jpg

This is the time of the year where they lay their eggs so they get out of the water and sometimes roam pretty far to make their nest. 

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

I golfed at Princeton Country Club on Monday afternoon and the brood x's were everywhere! They were so loud, made it pretty difficult to concentrate between the noise and the little ****ers flying at you while you're trying to hit. My best shot of the day though came as one landed on me as I was in my backswing... Surprisingly there are none though in my neck of the woods in Hopewell and none down in Levittown either. Weird distribution of them.

It is funny, I have seen or heard none here, but about 2 miles west of me, they have tons.  

14 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

NW.jpg

I have a snapping turtle story from back in the 70's. I was driving to a store and noticed this snapping turtle booking down a driveway towards the road I was on which was a main road. So I pulled over, went and picked him or her up (by the sides of course, cuz they will reach around and try to bite you), and placed him on the passenger side floor of my car. He crawled under the seat. My plan was to release him into a creek near our house when I got home, and that was accomplished.

The funny part is on the way back from the store, I picked up a hitchhiker (we used to do that back then), and I told him "just so you know, there's a snapping turtle under your seat". He didn't say anything, but I always wondered what his thought process was. Lol.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I have a snapping turtle story from back in the 70's. I was driving to a store and noticed this snapping turtle booking down a driveway towards the road I was on which was a main road. So I pulled over, went and picked him or her up (by the sides of course, cuz they will reach around and try to bite you), and placed him on the passenger side floor of my car. He crawled under the seat. My plan was to release him into a creek near our house when I got home, and that was accomplished.

The funny part is on the way back from the store, I picked up a hitchhiker (we used to do that back then), and I told him "just so you know, there's a snapping turtle under your seat". He didn't say anything, but I always wondered what his thought process was. Lol.

Probably thought you were on some sort of hallucinogen and seeing shit....it was the 70s.

mush.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

That was YOU who gave me the ride?? :o ;)

On 6/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, Birds~69 said:

I hit the jackpot and saw 2 lightning bugs tonight so I can cross off that critter from the list...

Some showers to the W....68F

west1.jpg

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Under 100....99 Days til Fall!!!

https://days.to/until/autumn-or-fall

99.jpg

Last week of adding daylight, too!  Although it's hard to notice until early August.

August 1 is Lammas Day, the summer's cross-quarter day. Also, August 5th is about when our temps max out and we start heading downhill again (extremely slowly).

1 minute ago, JTA66 said:

Last week of adding daylight, too!  Although it's hard to notice until early August.

August 1 is Lammas Day, the summer's cross-quarter day. Also, August 5th is about when our temps max out and we start heading downhill again (extremely slowly).

For myself, the progressive steps toward Fall are:

Under 100 days

...then less daylight 

...then seasonal cicadas/daytime start cranking July or so, Katydids at night

...then Eagles training camp opens

...then Max high is decreasing

...then Phillies are mathematically eliminated from playoffs contention

...then I really notice the sun angle is lowering/Fall angle

...then crickets come out in full force and jamming tunes all night 

...then I see "back to school sales" commercials/ads

...then I see people selling summer shit (A/C/tables/chairs/BBQs) super cheap on craigslist because they're too lazy to put it away

...then whining on air news personalities "only 2 more weeks left of summer/til Labor Day...boo hoo"

...then Labor Day happens  (My best time of year and going forward)

...then some obscure weenie joins the board and gives a winter prediction mid September...

72F / DP 61F 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

55 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Under 100....99 Days til Fall!!!

https://days.to/until/autumn-or-fall

99.jpg

LOL :lol:

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

For myself, the progressive steps toward Fall are:

Under 100 days

...then less daylight 

...then seasonal cicadas/daytime start cranking July or so, Katydids at night

...then Eagles training camp opens

...then Max high is decreasing

...then Phillies are mathematically eliminated from playoffs contention

...then I really notice the sun angle is lowering/Fall angle

...then crickets come out in full force and jamming tunes all night 

...then I see "back to school sales" commercials/ads

...then I see people selling summer shit (A/C/tables/chairs/BBQs) super cheap on craigslist because they're too lazy to put it away

...then whining on air news personalities "only 2 more weeks left of summer/til Labor Day...boo hoo"

...then Labor Day happens  (My best time of year and going forward)

...then some obscure weenie joins the board and gives a winter prediction mid September...

72F / DP 61F 

I noticed that they sometimes start the "back to school" (focus on college/"dorm stuff") barely after those May college graduations happen (sometimes even this month after Father's Day, but more generally right after the July 4th sales to cover the time before the Labor Day sales).  Amazon even moved "Prime Day" to next Monday/Tuesday (vs like it originally was mimicking - a "Christmas in July").  :D

Yes, it certainly seems "back to school" gets earlier each year. But then again, it seems schools return earlier then when we were kids -- it was always after Labor Day, first week of Sept or so. Seems more and more schools return in late August now, prior to Labor Day. (Which is kind of stupid since they usually end up cancelling classes due to the Aug heat in un-air conditioned schools.)

So glad I'm not a kid today, with summer reading lists and other schoolwork assignments that need to be completed. For us, summer was a time to let the brain deteriorate!!