Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
East TN, SWVA, E KY, and Plateau NW flow obs. Feb 1 - 2

Holston_River_Rambler

10 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

It seems like we have a little more snow than earlier but the flakes are so small they're almost invisible or mist. Like super small. Not sure if we're gonna get much more here but NWS says another 1-2" is possible.

snow11.jpg

My forecast says the same but I don't think it will get there here.  I noticed BNA said another piece of energy would come through this evening. My hourly future cast has snow moving back in from 1 to 4 am.  Granted it's snowing now and it just shows cloudy for the next 5 hours here. The flakes are probably dime sized here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John1122 said:

My forecast says the same but I don't think it will get there here.  I noticed BNA said another piece of energy would come through this evening. My hourly future cast has snow moving back in from 1 to 4 am.  Granted it's snowing now and it just shows cloudy for the next 5 hours here. The flakes are probably dime sized here. 

Yeah I'm not very optimistic either. It hasn't snowed much at all here since last night. What little it has snowed the flakes have been almost microscopic lol.

27 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Good looking slug of moisture dropping in from OH:

giphy.gif

Looks like John will be right on the western edge, so me and The CumbCo folks are probably out. Fountainguy is probably gonna get hammered by it. 

Looks like the final energy lobe will be moving in soon. Already see radar beefing up one more time across our area. 

This one has the best chance for accumulating outside the “prime” NW locations as it has the coldest temps to work with. Let’s get you guys some snow!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Good looking slug of moisture dropping in from OH:

giphy.gif

Looks like John will be right on the western edge, so me and The CumbCo folks are probably out. Fountainguy is probably gonna get hammered by it. 

That looks like it could be as far west as Fentress but it may pivot east of there. 

• Like 1

Just now, TellicoWx said:

Radar hasn't been showing anything here, so haven't looked outside since sundown. Light snow falling now, with dusting on elevated surfaces again.

Its snowed here almost non stop for 18 hours and it's rarely shown up on radar. Granted 18 hours worth of snow has amounted to about an inch of total accumulations. So that may be why. :lol:

Its snowed here almost non stop for 18 hours and it's rarely shown up on radar. Granted 18 hours worth of snow has amounted to about an inch of total accumulations. So that may be why. :lol:

John if you look at the radar now you can really see the downsloping effects off of the High Knob massif in Scott County. The band finally redevelops toward Kingsport a little better.

John if you look at the radar now you can really see the downsloping effects off of the High Knob massif in Scott County. The band finally redevelops toward Kingsport a little better.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Same here..snowed most day but would melt off during any of the breaks..hill behind my house is about 150' or so higher...ground still white (little melting all day). Flakes now are small...figure DGZ is barely saturated enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1234snow said:

I am always interested in seeing the Micro climates here that show up in these situations. It's really rare to see snow coming from the direction it is now. 90 percent of the time you'd see a band rolling off Lake Michigan pointed down across Northern Kentucky in a NW flow situation. It's rare to see Erie involved and see High Knob making a snow shadow to the SSE. 

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I am always interested in seeing the Micro climates here that show up in these situations. It's really rare to see snow coming from the direction it is now. 90 percent of the time you'd see a band rolling off Lake Michigan pointed down across Northern Kentucky in a NW flow situation. It's rare to see Erie involved and see High Knob making a snow shadow to the SSE. 

Yeah seems like my backyard is eating this NNW flow up.  It’s crazy to see the micro climates around. Literally 3 miles down the road into Erwin probably has half of what I have or even less.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Agree with the microclimates..what makes being a weather enthusiast here that much more interesting. Something starting to notice is how this setup currently is hitting around Gatlinburg, is beginning to back to the SW..could help for mby if it can make the bend along the Blount/Monroe line

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The band from Kentucky looks like it might stay far enough west to hit the western plateau and western valley unless it pivots soon. 

I like what I'm seeing from the JKL radar.  

30 degrees now and slowing building back my novelty dusting!

• Like 4