• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Upstate/Eastern New York

As for the upcoming lake effect potential, there is only one 12 hour period with a vertical profile that I think looks conducive to fairly deep pseudo organized lake effect.  That time is from 12am Friday until noon Friday.  I'm definitely rusty on skewT's but I think in this scenario, we take the lake temp as the starting point for the surface air temp and then ride up the moist adiabat until we hit the ambient air temp (I think we assume that the air over the lake is saturated so we don't have to use saturation mixing ratio line?).  So starting around 5c gives us a pretty deep column.  Most importantly though is that the atmosphere is saturated up through 700mb which gives us a lot of background moisture to work with.  

Capture.thumb.PNG.cab6338cf488d26006d7a53b43cf64b2.PNG

After noon on Friday the profiles start to degrade pretty quickly

Capture.thumb.PNG.6bb6ce774de15eabb8233f88da02445d.PNG

By Friday night the inversion is crashing down hard.

Capture.thumb.PNG.f7204f3e3f9d2422394a952dc72126fb.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Look at how close the East Coast came to a truly massive storm today/tomorrow.  That low that is forming over NC right now explodes to 958mb in 30 hours, spurred on by that huge chunk of arctic air dropping out of Eastern Canada (and it's not even a clean phase).  The 500mb low is a thing of beauty as it dives through the Northeast.  If only it had phased just 500 further West.....

gfs_z500_vort_atl_fh0-66.thumb.gif.d3cb3e6a8334b01d859966bf1594940f.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_fh6-48.thumb.gif.2b91a30b3b337d6bd7e2269cfb410e08.gif

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

Look at how close the East Coast came to a truly massive storm today/tomorrow.  That low that is forming over NC right now explodes to 958mb in 30 hours, spurred on by that huge chunk of arctic air dropping out of Eastern Canada (and it's not even a clean phase).  The 500mb low is a thing of beauty as it dives through the Northeast.  If only it had phased just 500 further West.....

gfs_z500_vort_atl_fh0-66.thumb.gif.d3cb3e6a8334b01d859966bf1594940f.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_fh6-48.thumb.gif.2b91a30b3b337d6bd7e2269cfb410e08.gif

what is your opinion about the gfs? How often do you see the finger lakes region get CCB action. Seems like it would not be very common.

8 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Notice the mexico bay convergence. 

I hate Mexico Bay convergence because I always feel like they do well on Westerly winds and then somehow also do well in NW regimes too.  So f-ing greedy.  Share the wealth.  No, I see it though, its nice the models are picking it up.  I need a GB connection to really be in the game and those are so damn transient...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SnowLover22 said:

Yes that run. The 00z gfs.

It certainly can happen but these transfer situations usually shunt those heavier bands downstate.  In the big event downstate this winter (BGM 41"), the parent low seemed to hang on longer than forecast which allowed that conveyor to setup further North and West than normal.  There was also a major blocking pattern in that storm which forced the precip shield to hit a wall.  Anyway, it can definitely happen but favors places further East IMO.  

I also would be cautious about the end of that run when the low is jumping around as it sits and spins.  It rarely hangs around that long in reality and the variability of where it finally stalls could make or break us.  We need heavy snow on the front end from the primary low.   

All that said, the 0z GFS was a huge step in the right direction, but some might say its happening too soon, lolz.

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

It certainly can happen but these transfer situations usually shunt those heavier bands downstate.  In the big event downstate this winter (BGM 41"), the parent low seemed to hang on longer than forecast which allowed that conveyor to setup further North and West than normal.  There was also a major blocking pattern in that storm which forced the precip shield to hit a wall.  Anyway, it can definitely happen but favors places further East IMO.  

I also would be cautious about the end of that run when the low is jumping around as it sits and spins.  It rarely hangs around that long in reality and the variability of where it finally stalls could make or break us.  We need heavy snow on the front end from the primary low.   

All that said, the 0z GFS was a huge step in the right direction, but some might say its happening too soon, lolz.

I got it. So the CCB would be nice obviously but places Syracuse and west really should not count on it. We need to root for good snow from the WAA. 

14 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

what is your opinion about the gfs? How often do you see the finger lakes region get CCB action. Seems like it would not be very common.

As a winter lover, I would in general find Geneva a tough place to live in. My wife and I love the town, countryside and walking along the lake there though. It just seems to be in a lake effect snow hole. You miss out on most of the wind directions.