• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 Medium/Longterm Pattern Discussion.

AMZ8990

12z updated...

Such a range of options from the 12z suite for the 8/9th system.  Going to depend on the angle that the systems takes.  The GFS is very progressive and does a near loop to loop over Arkansas.  To me, the para looks very realistic and matches the ICON very well.  The CMC is a bit strung out.  This is almost like trying to predict where a hurricane makes landfall while running parallel to the coast.  The slightest degree of change in regards to angle of entry....changes forecasts by dozens and dozens of miles.  

• Like 1

Second storm is going to be tough to forecast.  The system for the 8th has trended SE over time.  Modeling is struggling with the block right now.  Like BNA says, just get the track right, and we will worry about the rest later.

As long as we are tracking something south of us at this point that’s all we can ask for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

As long as we are tracking something south of us at this point that’s all we can ask for.

Debatable whether the second system will be south of us.  The 12z CMC is not.  I don't trust the GFS with the first system, and that first system sets the wave pattern that will allow the second system to cut or go underneath.  I would think both systems go south, but absolutely not written in stone yet for the second.  

• Like 2

Again, I think we need to be very careful with the GFS.  It trended a system from WV to nearly Colorado last week.  Right now, the trend could be the opposite.  I don't think it is handling the block well.  The 12z GFS Para on Pivotal looks a lot more reasonable.  As soon as one see the loop to loop(GFS regular) in Arkansas for the first system...have to think that solution is less likely.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Debatable whether the second system will be south of us.  The 12z CMC is not.  I don't trust the GFS with the first system, and that first system sets the wave pattern that will allow the second system to cut or go underneath.  I would think both systems go south, but absolutely not written in stone yet for the second.  

You could have stopped here and I'd have been on board.  It's a pretty wretched model.  Good point on the HUGE adjustments on a recent system.  The move it made from having snow here to actually snowing in west Texas to Missouri was a colossal jump.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

Good point, especially with the  Canadian doing that. The Canadian suite has performed well this fall/winter.

However, I still think what u alluded to yesterday has merrit regarding model's adjusting to strong blocking. Just not alot that's been ingested in them regarding that.

And let me say, some GREAT trends on modeling at 12z!  I just don't trust the GFS right now.  Toggle(back in time) the first system as it goes through North Carolina - just all over the place.  That said, the GFS has not been terrible until last week.  Certainly looks like modeling wants to produce a Miller A for system two.  Just with seven days to go, going to be tough to nail down a system while modeling is still adjusting to the block.  Again though, good trends.  As expected at this range...details are still up for grabs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And let me say, some GREAT trends on modeling at 12z!  I just don't trust the GFS right now.  Toggle(back in time) the first system as it goes through North Carolina - just all over the place.  That said, the GFS has not been terrible until last week.  Certainly looks like modeling wants to produce a Miller A for system two.  Just with seven days to go, going to be tough to nail down a system while modeling is still adjusting to the block.  Again though, good trends.  As expected at this range...details are still up for grabs.

I think we'd all like to see the traditional GFS go progressive and further SE for storm 2.  At least when we see this we know the usual correction is coming...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Again, I think we need to be very careful with the GFS.  It trended a system from WV to nearly Colorado last week.  Right now, the trend could be the opposite.  I don't think it is handling the block well.  The 12z GFS Para on Pivotal looks a lot more reasonable.  As soon as one see the loop to loop(GFS regular) in Arkansas for the first system...have to think that solution is less likely.  

That loop to loop feature showing on the (GFS regular) has popped up multiple times this winter.  I Wonder if there is an underlying issue within the model that’s causing that feature to show up so frequently this year.

4 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

That loop to loop feature showing on the (GFS regular) has popped up multiple times this winter.  I Wonder if there is an underlying issue within the model that’s causing that feature to show up so frequently this year.

Has it actually verified?  I don't the answer to that.  LOL.  Sometimes systems with very little steering current will do that.  Sometimes modeling just doesn't know where to put the low.  It happens sometimes with systems when they hit the benchmark for NE winter storms.  Hey, maybe Memphis is the new winter storm benchmark!  In all seriousness, good luck to you west TN folks getting something.  You all have definitely waiter your turn!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Has it actually verified?  I don't the answer to that.  LOL.  Sometimes systems with very little steering current will do that.  Sometimes modeling just doesn't know where to put the low.  It happens sometimes with systems when they hit the benchmark for NE winter storms.  Hey, maybe Memphis is the new winter storm benchmark!  In all seriousness, good luck to you west TN folks getting something.  You all have definitely waiter your turn!

Shoot naw it hasn’t, just remembered seeing it on a GFS forecast for a system we tracked a few weeks back.  Just thought it was odd we were seeing it multiple times on the GFS this year.  And I hope so man, been a long 3 years without snow!!  

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic