• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 Medium/Longterm Pattern Discussion.

AMZ8990

45 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Modeling has one common theme this year.  Looks bad/warm long range. Slowly corrects towards something workable as we get closer in time.  We've went from warm until the mid month period while we wait on the SSW to moving two possible snow events inside the D10 timeframe. 

Yep.  The CMC is considerably colder than the GFS at 12z...have a feeling the GFS is playing catchup even if the CMC is biased a bit cold.   Makes me wonder if the MJO is playing too big of a factor in its(GEFS) algorithms vs the NAO block.  Oddly, one thing with has not verified is the monster NAO which has been been modeled.  The -NAO is there but has not been to the extreme modeling has shown...but I have a feeling it is about to maybe meet those expectations during the next two weeks.

49 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Modeling has one common theme this year.  Looks bad/warm long range. Slowly corrects towards something workable as we get closer in time.  We've went from warm until the mid month period while we wait on the SSW to moving two possible snow events inside the D10 timeframe. 

Also, I remember modeling was steadfast in December that the 18th would be the beginning of a big warm-up...and it snowed on the 24th.  LOL.  I like this type of "push back" of the pattern.  It is usually the other way around.  Wonder if NAO winters feature "warm that never takes hold" because modeling just hasn't had to deal with it very often during winter.  I suspect modern era modeling has been developed when the base state for winter is normally a +NAO.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

That first oddball system the Ukie shows, is actually within NAM range and it has some precip too. 

That is Jax's bowling ball system.  Just kind of bowls underneath....I have had my eye on that one for a bit - nice synoptics but lacking in cold.  The CMC almost did some good things with that.  Wonder if it will trend north with time or feel the block and trend south?  

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Euro has that system too and gets 4 - 6 on Roan. 

The set up is interesting with the energy diving in from the NW:

giphy.gif

If the southern stream energy were to check-up and slow down OR the northern stream catch-up...big storm.  What is right behind it has my attention.

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I'm kind of interested in the energy diving in behind it. It's not really wound up, but the block scoots it in kinda sorta schmaybe have a negative lean... 

giphy.gif

With six days to go, still a lot of movement possible. Almost seems like modeling can't decide between the 8/9 system or the 10/11 system in terms of which one to amplify.

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Great pass for the energy, but nary a snowflake outside of I'd say 3000'

giphy.gif

Something to keep an eye on.  The 12z Euro is actually SE of its previous run.  Will be interesting to see if that comes back NW or if the block is being felt now - good test.  The CMC was super close to something good.  Almost looks like it is lacking precip for that vigorous of a vortex.

56 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Also, I remember modeling was steadfast in December that the 18th would be the beginning of a big warm-up...and it snowed on the 24th.  LOL.  I like this type of "push back" of the pattern.  It is usually the other way around.  Wonder if NAO winters feature "warm that never takes hold" because modeling just hasn't had to deal with it very often during winter.  I suspect modern era modeling has been developed when the base state for winter is normally a +NAO.  

Bingo! I believe u hit the Nail on the head . 

Very cold northern hemisphere on the 18z GFS-Para as Holston notes...-30s at the very end of its run into North Dakota.  That will probably change in future runs one way or another. That said, we want to see that type of cold showing up periodically on modeling during the next week.  Saw some hints this morning that the flow was reversing late in the d14-16 time frame.  So, seeing a slight rend towards some extremes just after the middle of the month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Very cold northern hemisphere on the 18z GFS-Para as Holston notes...-30s at the very end of its run into North Dakota.  That will probably change in future runs one way or another. That said, we want to see that type of cold showing up periodically on modeling during the next week.  Saw some hints this morning that the flow was reversing late in the d14-16 time frame.  So, seeing a slight rend towards some extremes just after the middle of the month.

Honestly, Canada being warm(ish) right now is the only thing keeping us from an I-10 storm threat as opposed to I-40. I’ll never wish to see warmer air but I’m genuinely concerned about suppression with what we’re seeing. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic