• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

20 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Better late than never. UK was on this fir several days. I must say snow growth isnt ideal so idk about the 20" totals.

gfs_asnowd_neus_5.png

That's a classic interior I-88 snowstorm. Reminds me of the Halcyon days of yore when the coast got f*cked repeatedly ever year during most reasonable storms.  And that was also the experience of my father...which would take one back into the earlier 1900s.  Of course I was living near the coast so it tends to burn it into your skull. 

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

That's a classic interior I-88 snowstorm. Reminds me of the Halcyon days of yore when the coast got f*cked repeatedly ever year during most reasonable storms.  And that was also the experience of my father...which would take one back into the earlier 1900s.  Of course I was living near the coast so it tends to burn it into your skull. 

Born and raised in Queens, been burned countless times. This is textbook.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Better late than never. UK was on this fir several days. I must say snow growth isnt ideal so idk about the 20" totals.

gfs_asnowd_neus_5.png

This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread growing up in CT.  Even having elevation down there, I can't count how many times we'd start with heavy snow, slowly morphing into parachutes, then pingers while BGM-ALB on north got hammered.  

7 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Where are you? I'm NW of Albany, technically bordering s+ here on vis but snowgrowth is poor.

I'm in Guilderland right now, W-NW of ALB.  Snow growth isn't as good as it was an hour ago, but its not quite poor or needle-like.

Edit:  As I typed this, its now pouring snow outside.

4 minutes ago, Stash said:

I'm in Guilderland right now, W-NW of ALB.  Snow growth isn't as good as it was an hour ago, but its not quite poor or needle-like.

Edit:  As I typed this, its now pouring snow outside.

Well we're in this together, not many posters out this way. Needles are improving as I type as well. 

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

Well we're in this together, not many posters out this way. Needles are improving as I type as well. 

Definitely.  I'll enjoy it while I can tonight.  At some point this winter our lake effect friends here will sprint past us while I'm stuck with gray skies/flurries and obsessing over 300 hour GFS runs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Best snowstorm I experienced around BGM / Vestal was Christmas eve 1978. Forecast was a bit of snow then change to rain. Two Football playoff games on TV were more fun we thought. 

Well...heading out to midnight mass with my father, brother and 80 y.o. grandmother who insisted on going, there was probably 10" on ground and we got stuck in rear wheel drive station wagon at end of our street. Turned around and packed it in. Ended up with 18" XMas morning.  Only idea we had was NE wind and the NWS forecast crawler on tv...which was comically  running behind actual accumulations.  The good old days. Before the internet ruined everything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Not a flake of snow is flying, emoji38.png but the good thing is that I wasn't expecting anything anyway! More snow fell the other evening with the frontal passage then with this event, lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

What did I tell you? ;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stash said:

It looks like that band has been sitting over the area for some time now.  I can't imagine trying to drive those hills east, west and north of town tonight.

My uncle and aunt live in the hills of Binghamton. I'm going to ask for Pics tomorrow. They are literally in the perfect spot for this storm. They have quite a bit of elevation on their farm.

• Like 2