Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Man, it’s really good that we have had a good winter...otherwise we’d probably be in total meltdown over areas around Houston getting more snow than us potentially. 

They’re also under a wind chill warning because “wind chills may fall below zero.” :lol:
We’re now up to 47 states that have an active watch/warning/advisory for either snow or cold, and 18 of those are for the entire state.

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

NAM looks like a complete torch.

Edit: Not a complete torch, but an absolutely ugly ice storm. 

Half an inch of ice and not one flake of snow in the second wave? And the track of the low has officially entered Ohio. Forget about a Youngstown special, this is a Fort Wayne special.

So there we have it. An inch and a half of snow from the first wave, almost half an inch of ice from the second wave, and it all melts and then some when temperatures rise into the mid to upper 30s Tuesday morning, if the NAM proves to be correct. Won’t sensationalize and say take down the watch this time because that amount of ice is no joke.

1 minute ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Was surprised to see nothing on the county twitter page. Usually they mention something.

Weird. Between all of the emergency calls and reports from the hospital of an increase of accidents this morning. You think they would have. 

11 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

We are probably going to get more snow from the Thursday deal at this point. Off topic but in hearing there is a ton of accidents all over the city. Don't drive if you don't have to. 

My dad texted me a bit a go and said his normal hour drive took him 2.5 hours because PGH was so bad.

Just now, Ethel975 said:

My dad texted me a bit a go and said his normal hour drive took him 2.5 hours because PGH was so bad.

Yeah im not at work but I saw a snap chat of our alert board and it was accidents all over. 279, 65, 28 etc... Glad I'm not at work today. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So there we have it. An inch and a half of snow from the first wave, almost half an inch of ice from the second wave, and it all melts and then some when temperatures rise into the mid to upper 30s Tuesday morning, if the NAM proves to be correct. Won’t sensationalize and say take down the watch this time because that amount of ice is no joke.

So we definitely don't "have it" until it starts falling.  The trends are bad, no denying, but it's also still not locked in.  There's really no reason it doesn't trend back at the last few hours and there's no reason it doesn't trend us into a dry slot for most of the storm.

Just now, Ahoff said:

So we definitely don't "have it" until it starts falling.  The trends are bad, no denying, but it's also still not locked in.  There's really no reason it doesn't trend back at the last few hours and there's no reason it doesn't trend us into a dry slot for most of the storm.

There's always nowcasting surprises. Maybe we still get lucky with the main course. You never know. Euro does look better with the Thursday deal. Gotta keep an eye on that too  

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

So from an information and knowledge standpoint, how does the NAM usually do at this juncture? Does it typically run warm? Cold? I’m not all that well versed in the NAM.

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Taking the NAM verbatim there would be a brief period of ice but surface temperatures are 32-34 during the heaviest part, very little ice will form in that scenario. If the 12z NAM is right we go from light snow to sleet to ZR then mainly rain for the bulk of it.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

There's always nowcasting surprises. Maybe we still get lucky with the main course. You never know. Euro does look better with the Thursday deal. Gotta keep an eye on that too  

Pretty much every threat this year has been a success.  None of us can deny that.  A miss like this was inevitable at some point, it happens at a minimum once a season.  There's still more snow to be had over the next few weeks I'm sure.  We've had a great season.  I'm happy.  Of course I do want more snow, lol.  I'd love 10 more inches tomorrow, but I'm content overall.

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Pretty much every threat this year has been a success.  None of us can deny that.  A miss like this was inevitable at some point, it happens at a minimum once a season.  There's still more snow to be had over the next few weeks I'm sure.  We've had a great season.  I'm happy.  Of course I do want more snow, lol.  I'd love 10 more inches tomorrow, but I'm content overall.

I think that’s an undeniable fact, with one caveat. If this snow season ends with the 49.7 inches we’ve had so far, and nothing more (unlikely, as it’s almost certain we’ll get at least a little more), I would classify that as a good but not necessarily “great” season. If that’s the final season total, it’s slightly above average. To use a sports analogy, if you will, a snow season with 49.7” would be like a Steelers season where they go 11-5 and win one playoff game before getting eliminated (certainly better than recent years, but “good, not great.”)

So from an information and knowledge standpoint, how does the NAM usually do at this juncture? Does it typically run warm? Cold? I’m not all that well versed in the NAM.

The NAM does a few things. It generally has way more ice than other models. It also can have a tendency to overdo the rate at which the system deepens. These rapidly deepening systems tend to over amplify and then push the rain snow line further north.

NWS discussion from 8 am this morning still in the camp of the forecast remaining on track.

I’ll be watching the HRRR and the SREFs (my favorites) today to see how things look.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

The NAM does a few things. It generally has way more ice than other models. It also can have a tendency to overdo the rate at which the system deepens. These rapidly deepening systems tend to over amplify and then push the rain snow line further north.

NWS discussion from 8 am this morning still in the camp of the forecast remaining on track.

I’ll be watching the HRRR and the SREFs (my favorites) today to see how things look.

Well the 12z HRRR certainly didn’t go in our favor either...

NWS will keep the watch intact, as is, until they issue an advisory this afternoon for 2-4” of snow and up to 0.1” of ice.