Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

6 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I would say the overall feel of this storm reminds me a little bit of Jan 1996 and Jan 2016. Hopefully the Jan 1996 part carries more weight.

Was thinking about both of these. For some reason I like where we sit. If dc is dealing with mixing issues I’d be pretty surprised if we didn’t get significant precip thrown back this way for a storm of this magnitude. Jan 2016 was a pretty sharp cut off north to south and this one appears more west to east.

4 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Was thinking about both of these. For some reason I like where we sit. If dc is dealing with mixing issues I’d be pretty surprised if we didn’t get significant precip thrown back this way for a storm of this magnitude. Jan 2016 was a pretty sharp cut off north to south and this one appears more west to east.

My sister lives about 10 miles south of me and got double the amount in Jan 2016. Cut off was BRUTAL.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, OutnOakmont said:

I keep reading the forecast discussion to see if it's changed with some of these runs and it continues to be fuddy dud central! 

They won't update map totals / expand watches etc until the full 00z suite is in and any required coordination with other offices if necessary is done.

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

KPIT has always been horrendous compared to other offices. They run the same discussions for 24 hours and in the midst of a very complex storm for the region.

If by horrendous you mean lack of details in the discussions at times I don't disagree.

They aren't always bad depending who writes them up. Fries and one other who's name escapes me usually do a pretty good job. I did a skywarn class several years ago and afterwards talking to the presenter I mentioned enjoying reading Fries detailed discussions and he said he had heard that from others too ( specifically local news Mets etc) I'm not sure if he is even still at our office or not these days.

Well, I haven't posted here in a while, but trying to get back into the hobby again. Losing my wife last year messed with me in so many ways, but I'm trying to find joy in my old hobbies again and this was definitely one of them. Anyway, I've been checking out the models today and I do like our trend as of now. Definitely an advisory event and trending toward hopefully a WSW. Last winter was a complete dud. Not that I cared personally as I just wasn't into it, but maybe this winter will be a little better for us. Already one good event so far and the possibility of another before winter officially begins. Anyway, missed you guys and missed this page.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Well, I haven't posted here in a while, but trying to get back into the hobby again. Losing my wife last year messed with me in so many ways, but I'm trying to find joy in my old hobbies again and this was definitely one of them. Anyway, I've been checking out the models today and I do like our trend as of now. Definitely an advisory event and trending toward hopefully a WSW. Last winter was a complete dud. Not that I cared personally as I just wasn't into it, but maybe this winter will be a little better for us. Already one good event so far and the possibility of another before winter officially begins. Anyway, missed you guys and missed this page.

Welcome back. So sorry about your wife. We’re here for any support we can give. God bless. 

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad to have you back tracking. 

0z Euro was a decent hit for the area. Ups the areas QPF to .8 from .7. The 1 inch line is very close to the AGH County line now. Tomorrow's runs are gonna be very interesting if we get some last minute west trends. Will the GFS cave though. 

While you were sleeping, my hard work has produced:

-Winter Storm Watches expanded to southwest PA counties

-Euro looking more robust at 0Z

-NAM going nuts at 6z. Wont even mention those totals 

-GFS at 6z coming around, creeping 8-12” totals in south and east of the city. Would love to see one more push with that.

If we can have SLP track to the Chesapeake and have this close off at 500, it’s legit game on. That would turn WAA snows early on to the more prolonged/heavy CCB.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

While you were sleeping, my hard work has produced:

-Winter Storm Watches expanded to southwest PA counties

-Euro looking more robust at 0Z

-NAM going nuts at 6z. Wont even mention those totals 

-GFS at 6z coming around, creeping 8-12” totals in south and east of the city. Would love to see one more push with that.

If we can have SLP track to the Chesapeake and have this close off at 500, it’s legit game on. That would turn WAA snows early on to the more prolonged/heavy CCB.

I had to look at the NAM twice lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
An upper level split-flow wave will cross the Ohio Valley into the 
mid-Atlantic Wednesday into Thursday, bringing a swath of moisture 
across the Upper Ohio. Associated sfc low pressure will develop 
across the upper Mississippi Valley before deepening off the 
Carolinas and riding up the Atlantic coastline. Transient left-exit 
and coupled jet support are progged to generate broad ascent to 
support mainly snow beginning Wednesday morning, then ramping up 
during the afternoon and overnight.

Significant uncertainty remains with regards to snow amounts across
the forecast area. Deterministic and ensemble guidance continue to 
support a large range in possible snow totals, primarily due to 
large differences in QPF amounts and placement of the sfc low to our 
east. The 00z ECMWF run in particular places the sfc low much farther
west and north than previous cycles, though without full EC ensemble
and other deterministic agreement, this was not enough reason to 
significantly inflate our official snow totals at this time. 

Some question also remains with the extent of warm advection across
the lower elevations of WV into SW PA on Wednesday afternoon/ early evening
as this could impact initial snow totals. With further penetration 
of warm air, some potential also exists for brief freezing rain 
across this area and into the lower ridges. However, the window for 
this is small, as more substantial warm advection would likely bump 
marginal sfc temperatures above the freezing mark. 

Rapid system progression also presents a barrier to high snow totals,
as the system quickly shifts off the coast early Thursday morning and
shuts off efficient snowfall. 

Highest snow totals remain over the Allegheny Mountains and ridges,
with lesser snow farther west. Confidence in 8+ inches of snow is
high enough across the higher elevations to support an upgrade from
Watch to Winter Storm Warning in those areas. With increased snow
amounts forecast farther west, the Watch was also expanded to include
areas including Pittsburgh. Lower confidence exists across the lower
elevations of Monongalia and Marion counties where warmer
temperatures will likely inhibit initial snowfall totals. Watches and
Warnings are in effect from 7AM Wed through 7AM Thu. Advisories will
likely be needed for areas farther west, especially if the upward
trend continues.

8 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

KPIT has always been horrendous compared to other offices. They run the same discussions for 24 hours and in the midst of a very complex storm for the region.

They were awful in the last storm too.  There first call was for less than an inch, I believe.  Then obviously missing by about 6, lol.

10 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

What’s that little tongue of reduced totals in fayette county? Is that mixing issues or the LP transferring energy right there?....

On the euro I don't think it is mixing issues but moreso the CCB sets up the best banding north of Allegheny count even and keeps it cranking a little longer. From the 850 temps it doesn't look like anything goes above 0 in PA. The most recent NAM run did show some mixing inch it's way just across the border.