Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

Just now, Ahoff said:

Seems it is causing a bit of panic in the Mid-Atlantic forum.  While it will be unfortunate for them to trend so poorly after so many good days, the idea of the potential here is exciting.

DC has been on a knife's edge for days now....I WOULD feel bad for some of the people in central PA if that happened. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rd9108 said:

From my untrained eye the NAM has the low hugging the coast more and heading more north instead of heading east which most likely allows the precip to be thrown back at us. 

Cold conveyor belt? We are on the backend of it, but that is why this run looks good for us. It is EPIC for central PA....us it gives near a foot with them getting two feet or more. 

• Like 1

Just now, KPITSnow said:

Cold conveyor belt? We are on the backend of it, but that is why this run looks good for us. It is EPIC for central PA....us it gives near a foot with them getting two feet or more. 

Wouldn't be upset with a foot even if Central PA got 2 ft. 

Just now, meatwad said:

Didn’t the 1992 December storm do the same thing?

The most recent storm that did it was actually that first day of spring storm in 2018. I remember that we just kept getting snow thrown back at us all day. Not sure if this is the same set up but it was one of those rare times the the coastal was throwing precip back this way all day.

Just now, KPITSnow said:

The most recent storm that did it was actually that first day of spring storm in 2018. I remember that we just kept getting snow thrown back at us all day. Not sure if this is the same set up but it was one of those rare times the the coastal was throwing precip back this way all day.

That was because of the upper low if I remember correctly. I recently went back to that thread and examined the posts. 

1 minute ago, southpark said:

We are going to like this run

I agree and there is still always the nowcast surprises that happen. I believe it was the 2016 blizzard that the NAM ended up being right and came further west then any model was predicting. A solid 8-12 storm would be huge for our weenie morale. 

The 0Z NAM isn't really any further NW, and in fact keeps colder thermal profiles for places like Philly and NJ, but it creates a massive CCB that dumps snow over the entire middle of the state (which attempts to reach out here).  Kind of a crazy look.  I know the clown maps will be overdone, but I'll laugh at them anyway like a mad scientist.

5 minutes ago, meatwad said:

That was a bigger, more explosive storm. It was much warmer to the east. But the setup is pretty similar.

That had a first wave that overperformed as there was supposed to be heavier snow later with the coastal. But the epic snows later really only made to Somerset (3’). Still a foot of snow and a memorable storm 

10 minutes ago, jwilson said:

The 0Z NAM isn't really any further NW, and in fact keeps colder thermal profiles for places like Philly and NJ, but it creates a massive CCB that dumps snow over the entire middle of the state (which attempts to reach out here).  Kind of a crazy look.  I know the clown maps will be overdone, but I'll laugh at them anyway like a mad scientist.

:lol:

11 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

That was a bigger, more explosive storm. It was much warmer to the east. But the setup is pretty similar.

That had a first wave that overperformed as there was supposed to be heavier snow later with the coastal. But the epic snows later really only made to Somerset (3’). Still a foot of snow and a memorable storm 

Heck Yeah. One of my fav things about that storm was Jeff Morrow being caked in snow in Breezewood.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, meatwad said:

18 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I would say the overall feel of this storm reminds me a little bit of Jan 1996 and Jan 2016. Hopefully the Jan 1996 part carries more weight.