Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Severe Weather Event Possible Thursday, August 27, 2020

weatherwiz

Just now, ct_yankee said:

I do not agree that the EH high school video shows the tornado, looks like straight line stuff to me. At no time does the wind direction change. Extremely powerful, nonetheless. The high end downbursts were clearly just as damaging if not more so than the tornado.

Yeah, looks like straight line wind damage to me. Radar matched what I saw on the ground very well... narrow path that reached max strength over North Haven followed by the circulation occluding and a hellacious RFD surge southeast of there. I don't really like the NWS classification of microbursts... this was just a really wide swath of RFD damage. 

11 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

I do not agree that the EH high school video shows the tornado, looks like straight line stuff to me. At no time does the wind direction change. Extremely powerful, nonetheless. The high end downbursts were clearly just as damaging if not more so than the tornado.

I saw a swirl go across the field in the non time lapse one but maybe my imagination 

Just now, BrianW said:

I said it earlier in the thread but NWS Upton did an excellent job at getting the tornado warning out in time. I know a ton of people that got the warning on their phones and took shelter as soon as it rolled in. 

It was in time for Branford but definitely late for Bethany and Hamden.

I drove around Branford yesterday and the damage is remarkable. Widespread 80-100 mph gusts with snapped stands of hardwood trees, some structural damage, etc. Have to imagine it's the worst damage in town since at least Hurricane Gloria.

What struck me overall was the pretty much continuous damage path from Bethany to Hamden to North Haven and then North Branford/Foxon/Branford. One of the most impressive swaths of widespread damage I can recall outside of a significant tornado in New England. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I drove around Branford yesterday and the damage is remarkable. Widespread 80-100 mph gusts with snapped stands of hardwood trees, some structural damage, etc. Have to imagine it's the worst damage in town since at least Hurricane Gloria.

What struck me overall was the pretty much continuous damage path from Bethany to Hamden to North Haven and then North Branford/Foxon/Branford. One of the most impressive swaths of widespread damage I can recall outside of a significant tornado in New England. 

Part of me wishes I had stayed at work that day but I don't totally regret it b/c what I saw in Waterbury with the winds was awesome. And where the tornado had first touched down was about 11-miles away or so. That was an incredible radar presentation too. I'm a little shocked though the damage was classified as several microbusts...could have been classified as at least a macroburst and I thought that looked like mainly RFD winds down that way. 

I got a better survey of Leete's over the weekend, as we cut through blocked roads and the utility guys finished-up. Some trees we could not remove due to pending insurance claims and/or just need a crane. 

I'm no expert, but I will definitely agree with evidence of straight-line winds. All trees downed from northwest to southeast.

Where there is damage, it was like a bulldozer tried to make a new road for 50-100 yards, all in the same NW->SE orientation.

Trees affected were big ones, like this massive old Hickory that probably survived 1938.

Definitely a memorable storm. Very thankful no one was injured. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 1.21.58 PM.png

40 minutes ago, CTFarmer said:

I got a better survey of Leete's over the weekend, as we cut through blocked roads and the utility guys finished-up. Some trees we could not remove due to pending insurance claims and/or just need a crane. 

I'm no expert, but I will definitely agree with evidence of straight-line winds. All trees downed from northwest to southeast.

Where there is damage, it was like a bulldozer tried to make a new road for 50-100 yards, all in the same NW->SE orientation.

Trees affected were big ones, like this massive old Hickory that probably survived 1938.

Definitely a memorable storm. Very thankful no one was injured. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 1.21.58 PM.png

I was out on the Sound Sunday and saw the damage from the water. The most impressive damage was just west of you over the Thimbles where there were a number of snapped flag poles, snapped/uprooted trees, etc. Lots of debris in the water including flipped over docks, limbs, etc. What a mess. Glad you're OK. 

I got a chance to do a quick drive up Ridge for an informal survey. Lots of tree damage in my neighborhood, but not too many uprooted whole trees. That started about a mile north, roughly where my aunt/uncle live (who had a 90 foot oak crush their Jeep). I was saddened to find the beautiful allee of mature maples that lined Ridge Rd just before the intersection with Skiff, the crowns of which used to provide an arch of shade over the road, was badly mauled by the storm. The most consistent and impressive damage was further up, closer to where Ridge and Dixwell intersect, where there was a great deal of uprooted trees, damaged poles and downed wires. Same thing a block over on Hartford Turnpike and near the interchange with 91. The most impressive swathe I saw was on School Lane and Buckingham Lane. Extensive tree and line damage in there. I will take a longer drive around at some point in the next few days and see what else there is to see.

8 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Where do you think would be a good spot to launch the drone from in Branford? I'm thinking the parking lot by the pond at the bottom of snake hill. There is some decent elevation there and it appears to have gone right over the top. 

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Where do you think would be a good spot to launch the drone from in Branford? I'm thinking the parking lot by the pond at the bottom of snake hill. There is some decent elevation there and it appears to have gone right over the top. 

Yeah I imagine Snake Hill is an absolute mess. I'm also wondering how it is over by the Supply Ponds... the core of the strongest wind went from Snake Hill right over the Supply Ponds and then down through Damascus Rd near Tisko. 

Let me know what you see - I'd love to take a look!

Down in Branford for the firs time since last Thursday...wow. I usually get off exit 14 on 91 and go back roads from Wallingford through North Branford then into Branford and holy crap...literally every single house I passed had piles of cut up trees, limbs, branches on the curb. The Dunkin Donuts I go to had a huge clearing of trees in the back too. Even the trees not taken down the damage to them is evident...tops severely damaged or even some trees with a good amount of leaves ripped off. 

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Down in Branford for the firs time since last Thursday...wow. I usually get off exit 14 on 91 and go back roads from Wallingford through North Branford then into Branford and holy crap...literally every single house I passed had piles of cut up trees, limbs, branches on the curb. The Dunkin Donuts I go to had a huge clearing of trees in the back too. Even the trees not taken down the damage to them is evident...tops severely damaged or even some trees with a good amount of leaves ripped off. 

Go take a ride around the Branford supply ponds. Insane damage there. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Where about's is that? I actually don't know Branford quite well lol. I basically just know the road from about exit 54 to exit 55. 

Its right off route 1 on Chestnut St. The road loops around back to route 1. Also, take a ride on Brushy Plain Rd. Right at the pond on the upper left is Branfords highest point. The road goes over it. There is a ton of damage up there. 

Screenshot_20200904-133521_Maps.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its right off route 1 on Chestnut St. The road loops around back to route 1. Also, take a ride on Brushy Plain Rd. Right at the pond on the upper left is Branfords highest point. The road goes over it. There is a ton of damage up there. 

Screenshot_20200904-133521_Maps.jpg

Awesome thanks! I won't be able to today but I will do so on Tuesday!