Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Land Purchase

PhineasC

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah they basically don’t have a downsloping direction there. I guess theoretically due South or southeast  but they are so close to Mt Adams/MWN that the downslope probably doesn’t really hit until up in Berlin.  

And of course, total CAD heaven there...about as good as it gets for retention.

Total weenie spot. 

Yeah you need to get into a cluster of hills so you can’t downslope from any direction.  

I’d be surprised if SE/S isnt a downslope aspect though, especially those tilted lows with strong SE low level flow under a broader SW flow aloft.  The MWN zone is still a 4kft drop to 1500ft.  

Alex is at 1500ft and sees it sometimes.  It’s the “windy -SN” flow.  

Looks like the yard faces south which is key in NNE for natural light/heat.  

You’ll lose snowpack with that open south aspect (could be bare now, with two feet in north facing properties) but that can’t be understated in getting some solar heat help through the picture windows.

Like on Mansfield and Spruce, both got similar snowfall but the south facing aspects are bare/patchy while northeast aspect has two feet at the same elevation.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like the yard faces south which is key in NNE for natural light/heat.  

You’ll lose snowpack with that open south aspect (could be bare now, with two feet in north facing properties) but that can’t be understated in getting some solar heat help through the picture windows.

Like on Mansfield and Spruce, both got similar snowfall but the south facing aspects are bare/patchy while northeast aspect has two feet at the same elevation.

Yep, that’s what we saw this week. Before this last snow, very patchy on the south exposure, buried on the north exposure. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like a nice spot to have a GTG. Plenty of space on the property for Kevin to puke and nobody notice or step on it.

Yeah...I’m sure his wife and kids would love a bunch of drunk snow weenies taking over the back porch. LOL

In all honesty...that’s seriously an incredible view of the Presidentials there and without the negative strings attached like when you’re in Conway or Littleton or Berlin and dealing with downsloping.  Getting the goods on both NE flow and NW flow is how to do it. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...I’m sure his wife and kids would love a bunch of drunk snow weenies taking over the back porch. LOL

In all honesty...that’s seriously an incredible view of the Presidentials there and without the negative strings attached like when you’re in Conway or Littleton or Berlin and dealing with downsloping.  Getting the goods on both NE flow and NW flow is how to do it. 

It is. I remember thinking years ago how well that town does when the coop reports came in. 

I'd like to chime in on this because I did quite a bit of looking around before we bought and still continue to as eventually I may want to upgrade some from where I am at now. I own in West Wardsboro, tucked in between Mount Snow and Stratton. Great, great place for ski country. Those two mountains, plus Magic is a great little mountain with awesome vibe and tough terrain, Bromley is in ear-shot (30 minutes), and Okemo and Killington are easy day-trips under an hour. Just some observations that others may have mentioned as well, but adding what I can:

-The Stratton area over say 1,500 feet does very well. I'd want to be in that range or over that. I'm around 1,800 up. We get about 125" a year and do ok with retention, great with coastals that hug a bit, and various other events.

-VT definitely has varied snow over short areas based on elevation and proximity in the spine.

-Areas like Townshend, Jamaica, Manchester when you get down in the 700-1000 ft range are noticeable less snowy. Great towns, still plenty of snow but not as much. 

-The SVT ski areas have some pretty great towns though, Dover, Ludlow, areas of Wilmington etc are pretty cool quintessential VT towns. Think of it as a mix of farms and mountains, red barns and log cabins, good food and good amenities. Close skiing. There are also many homes in the reasonably affordable range. Properties can be had with 10-30 acres. Once you get on that higher range of land there are not as many as say the NEK of VT or ME.

-As others have said the Searsburg area just south of Wilmington is a high elevation snow magnet. In general though, if looking Southern Greens, try to stay over 1,500 ft. So many good homes available though in the $175,000-$300,000 range. Many too that are way higher and upscale, like the Stratton, Hermitage, Manchester, Dorset area.  I got lucky to buy my small log cabin for $109,500, they needed to let it go and it needed some TLC. We've really brought it back and my brothers and I and kids spend a good 50-75 nights a year there.

-Some great summer stuff down south here too, lot of falls, Dorset Quarry we jump at all summer, but still it's a relatively quiet place. More New Yorkers than Mass, easier travel from the south than to areas in NVT, NH or ME. Anytime you can come from the NJ/NY area via the NY Thruway you are doing better than through CT and MASS.

-I've looked around the Mad River area and further up through Waterbury to Stowe. What I've found is more limited real estate, more expensive, less land. I wanted to be in the area, just a little more snow up there and intense winter weather, while still those great ski town vibes. It also has the added value of proximity to Burlington if you want to take in a summer day on the lake, a more small city restaurant and bar feel, college town, catch a UVM hockey game or minor league baseball game. Healthcare there is the best in VT. But I've really struggled to find the right mix of real estate offerings at a good price there with some land etc. than I found in the Stratton area. It's a little more congested up through that area (not so much traffic but just tighter land), and the Warren, Waitsfield, Waterbury, Stowe real estate markets are tough. You just won't find that many appealing mountain type cabins or homes with land at a square price. Many of the homes seem more residential to me, a lot of bedroom type areas catering to the Burlington area, or high-priced Stowe real estate. With that said, it's got a lot to offer and a great winter climate. The skiing from Sugarbush to MRG, Bolton, Stowe is tough to beat. 

-That stretch from Killington east to Woodstock obviously has a lot of old world VT appeal, but it just never was my favorite. I find the Killington area kind of bland, and Woodstock and east elevation drops down into the CT River and as it does so does the snow. 

-Burke is a growing hotspot in VT but I find hanging my hat on skiing Burke Mtn with its poor lift and infrastructure and reliance on natural snow etc, tough. Cool place, plenty of land to be found there and some cool cabins, camps and mountain homes, but it's sort of an island for me not worth driving that far for. There is not enough skiing en mass there, it seems everything is always 90 minutes away.

-Lastly for VT, I've spent some good time in the NEK. From Jay through Lake Willoughby east, it certainly does have a different "North Woods" feel there. Many more evergreens, the hardwoods drop off, it's cold, snow retention is high. But it's desolate and far. Sure Jay gets a ton of snow, just be careful away from mtn as elevation drops off to the east and west as the snowfall plummets. My buddy lives in Maidstone, real estate pretty cheap and lots of land, but its far from a lot of ski variety. I'd probably only live up there if I were going to be specific to the Jay area and have elevation. Maybe SW of Jay with chances for trips to Stowe too, but cheaper real estate and land, but elevation will be needed.

-Don't go anywhere near Bennington or Brattleboro, no elevation, snow holes. They are nice towns, but may as well live in an Albany suburb or Saratoga. When you hit the Bennington Bypass and start heading north into Searsburg pass you'll see what elevation does and getting into true snow country. 

-I'll only comment on NH in that I've looked a lot, but have not been thrilled with my selection. I actually looked at that house in Randolph someone posted. Great spot, shadows of the Presidentials. The Presidentials are obviously without equal in regards to being impressive views. I've just not found as much charm in NH, it seems more congested on the roads, the motorcycles, lots of tourists in the summer cramming through Franconia and other areas. The skiing is good, but not as good as VT. What NH does better is lakes and views. If you are looking perhaps for a dual summer/lake and winter adventure home, and you've got some money and willing to take on CT and MASS driving routes, NH has a great number of lakes and year-round potential. It's just that the southern half of NH is more like Mass or NJ than I'd like. One thing I have found in NH are quality homes in the mountains at pretty decent prices. More of a selection with land than you would find in the Mad River Valley or Stowe area. Similar to the Southern Greens.

I am going to leave Maine to the experts, it's just too far for me right now until maybe some point later in a much slower life. I'll leave you with this though, drive and proximity matter a lot. A three to four hour drive is a lot more doable than a six hour, a six hour drive that becomes hey maybe we should look 7 or 8 hours really becomes functionally deficient for a weekender or family. Later in life, a more full-time commitment, sure, further north works. It's just that second-home owners really need to consider the drive time and route, stress and use when rounding out the whole equation. It matters because what good is a cool place if you can't get there.

I just see Phineas bought in Randolph though so disregard my post. Awesome choice though, snow heaven, amazing views, good skiing options and plenty of nearby towns and watering holes to fill those needs. Congrats on a great choice. I'm a little jealous in the Southern Greens. lol

Great post greenmtwx. Very helpful on the real estate front for a vacation home. I love the extra info on VT since I’m less familiar there than with Maine or NH. 

I fell in love with western Maine due to the dual summer/winter potential with a ton of lakes around there and reasonable prices. We go up there every summer....and used to go every winter before we had kids. 

But I’ve been open to looking in other areas and the extra insight is always helpful...I wouldn’t be ready to buy until my 4 year old and 8 month old are a little older...but time moves faster than we think, lol. I still browse quite a bit. Helping Phineas with the weather aspect of each location reintroduced by enthusiasm a bit for the hunt of a great place. 

14 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I just see Phineas bought in Randolph though so disregard my post. Awesome choice though, snow heaven, amazing views, good skiing options and plenty of nearby towns and watering holes to fill those needs. Congrats on a great choice. I'm a little jealous in the Southern Greens. lol

No worries, great rundown. There have been several really insightful posts in this thread. It's not an exaggeration to say you guys literally guided me to where to buy. :) The passion in this forum for snow, cold, and great towns is obvious. Glad I get to be on the inside now versus outside looking in.

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No worries, great rundown. There have been several really insightful posts in this thread. It's not an exaggeration to say you guys literally guided me to where to buy. :) The passion in this forum for snow, cold, and great towns is obvious. Glad I get to be on the inside now versus outside looking in.

You are buying one hell of a house too. You didn't say you were looking for the nicest, high-end cabin in the NE? LOL. I'll be looking forward to your posts and your take on the area. It's on my radar if one day I decide to venture further. It strikes the right chord of ski options, views, back-country, towns that have civilization and lots of snow. A place like that opens up a lot of options for the true north country, and Maine, a bit of a different world. Whereas a lot of the Green Mountain areas have that rolling lush mountain mixed with farms, red barns and maples, that's more rugged north country. Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I fell in love with western Maine due to the dual summer/winter potential with a ton of lakes around there and reasonable prices. We go up there every summer....and used to go every winter before we had kids. 

I love western Maine but it is far especially from metro Boston. See my prior comments about Rangeley as a true 4 season destination and I love Sugarloaf. We have a family summer home in the NH lakes region - we open Memorial Day and close Labor Day. It is a special place with many great family traditions. It is large enough that we share the place, rather than divide the place up by family branches over the course of the season. We share the maintenance which is nice. Anyway, a long winded introduction - the place is 2 hours door to door from our primary residence with moving traffic - I find that after 8 to 10 weekends over the course of the summer, I'm ready for a break. Flip side is I could see moving to NH or ME for the lifestyle but I'd need to find the right town - I'm a 'people person!'

This is my embarrassingly dumpy cabin tucked away in West Wardsboro lol. Doesn't quite cut it versus Phineas. There are deals to be had out there though, it's a wonderful thing to be fortunate enough to have a northern getaway for folks like us on this board.

72746311_10220929927623987_1603487771802992640_n.jpg

50091155_10218678343615794_3282225204582940672_n.jpg

50839961_10218678343895801_1227440767740411904_n.jpg

49408044_10218504854518675_3239093506613968896_n.jpg

78840843_10221437632596294_2666779115738103808_n.jpg

83928730_10222154820125534_2315960272830857216_n.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Angus said:

I love western Maine but it is far especially from metro Boston. See my prior comments about Rangeley as a true 4 season destination and I love Sugarloaf. We have a family summer home in the NH lakes region - we open Memorial Day and close Labor Day. It is a special place with many great family traditions. It is large enough that we share the place, rather than divide the place up by family branches over the course of the season. We share the maintenance which is nice. Anyway, a long winded introduction - the place is 2 hours door to door from ournprimary residence with moving traffic - I find after a 8 to 10 weekends over the course of the summer, I'm ready for a break. Flip side is I could see moving to NH or ME for the lifestyle but I'd need to find the right town - I'm a 'people person!'

Rangeley is really far. No doubt. It’s like 4-4.5 hours from here. I can do Sunday River in 3 and the Raymond/Denmark area in 2 and change. 

Rangeley is worth the drive though IMHO. It’s pretty amazing. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rangeley is really far. No doubt. It’s like 4-4.5 hours from here. I can do Sunday River in 3 and the Raymond/Denmark area in 2 and change. 

Rangeley is worth the drive though IMHO. It’s pretty amazing. 

Rangeley is beautiful. I think it’s easier to get there from Mass than it is from here though. Driving East/west in NNE is always a pita. I have friends who have camps in the area and like going there. 

On 4/3/2020 at 6:24 PM, uncletim said:

I chimed in years ago on the Radders thread referenced above with our experience buying in Rangeley, and my thoughts remain the same. We've never regretted it. I've kept a watch out for places that might be "better" and I haven't seen one. I will say that while I'm hoping that Saddleback will be with us for many years to come, I think given its troubled history I wouldn't necessarily depend on it. It's great to see actual lift work going on!

Yeah I am looking to buy a nice little lot up in Rangeley soon. Im waiting to see if prices drop but that place is absolutely beautiful up there. 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Rangeley is beautiful. I think it’s easier to get there from Mass than it is from here though. Driving East/west in NNE is always a pita. I have friends who have camps in the area and like going there. 

Yeah if there’s any type of inclement weather in the winter, there’s no chance to drive from VT to Rangeley. That would be beyond hideous. All those windy back roads that go over some big elevations. 

30 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

This is my embarrassingly dumpy cabin tucked away in West Wardsboro lol. Doesn't quite cut it versus Phineas. There are deals to be had out there though, it's a wonderful thing to be fortunate enough to have a northern getaway for folks like us on this board.

72746311_10220929927623987_1603487771802992640_n.jpg

50091155_10218678343615794_3282225204582940672_n.jpg

50839961_10218678343895801_1227440767740411904_n.jpg

49408044_10218504854518675_3239093506613968896_n.jpg

78840843_10221437632596294_2666779115738103808_n.jpg

83928730_10222154820125534_2315960272830857216_n.jpg

Looks cozy and snowy to me. Perfection. 

5 minutes ago, Angus said:

Place looks perfect.

Yeah nothing wrong with small and quaint either. Don’t get me wrong, Phin probably has one of the best views I’ve ever seen...I’m jelly....but I sometimes like small and tucked away too. 

Theres many ways to attain perfection. I think just about all of us posting about these various places all share a similar passion for mountains/woods/snow/etc. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

There are a good number of cabins like this in my neck of the woods in the $100s

Yeah I was saying upthread how affordable a lot of S VT is until you are almost right on top of the resorts like Stratton or Mt. Snow. Even a couple miles away is surprisingly cheap. 

Love how you threw a fall pic in there of your place...we talk so much winter in here but foliage season can be breathtaking in the mountains.

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I was saying upthread how affordable a lot of S VT is until you are almost right on top of the resorts like Stratton or Mt. Snow. Even a couple miles away is surprisingly cheap. 

Love how you threw a fall pic in there of your place...we talk so much winter in here but foliage season can be breathtaking in the mountains.

some others from around the Southern Green Mtn area

66153795_10220068057957784_1925275444697890816_n.jpg

71073558_10220789307228565_7157959806517510144_n.jpg

72397970_10220929924183901_1763637283975593984_n.jpg

72355258_10220929927063973_3826438088297545728_n.jpg

87027326_10222236623050556_930866807730864128_n.jpg

86932813_10222236621130508_5044019668415676416_n.jpg

87021739_10222236622690547_2969511320115740672_n.jpg