• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

@Syrmax       How did you do in that forecasting contest? I wasn't sure what your username was (mine was snowtoriousBIG).  I came in somewhere in the middle of the pack I think.  Definitely hard with so many cities to forecast.

Oh I saw your name!  I have sucked this year in first 2 contests...mid pack.  I am Shillelagh.  I was a different handle years ago.

24 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Are you really comparing how a 96 year olds body and how a 20 somethings body would respond to this as if its an equal comparison.  Good grief man.

How many crazy supplements have you taken over the years (of which none are approved by the FDA) yet somehow this vaccine is the thing you're worried about?  Doesn't seem logical. 

Good point. In my opinion the virus has mutated to a weaker form and is not anywhere near as powerful as it has been. I know 5 people who have it currently and its not as bad as the flu, but just a common cold at this point. I will end up getting the vaccine sometime later this year as it will likely be required for travel. 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good point. In my opinion the virus has mutated to a weaker form and is not anywhere near as powerful as it has been. I know 5 people who have it currently and its not as bad as the flu, but just a common cold at this point. I will end up getting the vaccine sometime later this year as it will likely be required for travel. 

From what I've read over the years, the "good" news about most virus mutations is that they tend to mutate towards survival and not necessarily lethality.  That was one of the observations about other viruses like Ebola etc. If the virus kills off the host too quickly or efficiently, it won't last long, or propagate. So a mutation towards increased transmissibility makes sense as being more probable as a real world concern.  There likely are mutations that are more lethal out there but  tend to end up being self-limiting...unless host behavior encourages ease of transmission (looking at the mask Refuseniks here), I'd imagine...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'd get it tomorrow if I could.  Happy to hear so many of you don't want it, that mentality will bump me up in line if its pervasive enough.  

Not judging either way.  I can understand both sides of the issue.  I just don't have enough confidence in it right now.  One man's opinion.  I'll keep wearing the mask and distancing for now.  I don't have a burning desire to get back to anything with big crowds.  As long as they keep the gyms open in New Jersey, I'm satisfied.

• Like 2

Super outbreak with that Devils/Sabres game 2 weeks ago. Pretty crazy. I've been playing ice hockey the last few months. Covid really does spread quick. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2021/2/8/22273177/buffalo-sabres-covid-19-outbreak-update-nhl-new-jersey-devils

As of now, the Devils have 16 players on the NHL’s Covid protocol list. The Sabres currently have nine players and their head coach Ralph Krueger. We also were made aware that two linesmen from that game were placed on the protocol list. Thus, giving us a strong indication of on-ice transmission of the virus.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Super outbreak with that Devils/Sabres game 2 weeks ago. Pretty crazy. I've been playing ice hockey the last few months. Covid really does spread quick. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2021/2/8/22273177/buffalo-sabres-covid-19-outbreak-update-nhl-new-jersey-devils

As of now, the Devils have 16 players on the NHL’s Covid protocol list. The Sabres currently have nine players and their head coach Ralph Krueger. We also were made aware that two linesmen from that game were placed on the protocol list. Thus, giving us a strong indication of on-ice transmission of the virus.

Guess the smell of hockey equipment after a practice or game doesn't kill the virus after all.  What's interesting is that the NBA doesn't appear to have had nearly as many COVID-related issues in its season thus far.  

8 hours ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Not judging either way.  I can understand both sides of the issue.  I just don't have enough confidence in it right now.  One man's opinion.  I'll keep wearing the mask and distancing for now.  I don't have a burning desire to get back to anything with big crowds.  As long as they keep the gyms open in New Jersey, I'm satisfied.

I do miss the gym. Although working out at home has worked well for me. I just won't excercise with a mask on. Esp since I do more cardio then weights.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

@Syrmax       How did you do in that forecasting contest? I wasn't sure what your username was (mine was snowtoriousBIG).  I came in somewhere in the middle of the pack I think.  Definitely hard with so many cities to forecast.

Hey there SnowtoriousBIG...

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/NEWxSFC_22/storms/storm3_verifications_07FEB21.htm

Who da F@cjlking mang now? :)

Screenshot_20210209-201737_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I do miss the gym. Although working out at home has worked well for me. I just won't excercise with a mask on. Esp since I do more cardio then weights.

I bought some dumbbells on eBay in late spring/early summer.  I know I overpaid for them but I had to get some kind of workout in, as Jersey gyms didn't reopen until September.  Not being able to lift at all was starting to get to me.  I was doing pushups but it just wasn't the same.  Completely agree on cardio with a mask.  I don't know how you can really go hard while wearing one.  I'd rather jog outside on side streets without much foot traffic or at the local high school track.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Just came back from the Diner.  It was nice eating indoors.  Temperature taken and have to write your name and phone number.

Glad you were able to enjoy it.  My barber does the same thing here in Jersey when I get a haircut.  As far as I know, not a single case has emanated from there since they reopened in June.  I've never been called and advised that I might have been exposed.  I go about every three weeks.  My gym has done the same thing.  You have to sign in and sign out in addition to the temperature check upon arrival.  I think they have had two known cases since September and one was a false positive.

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cases and hospitalizations are going down much quicker than I thought. This virus is gone come summer time. 

I hope so. It’s definitely starting to weigh on people. Biden now claims that there will be enough vaccines for 300 million people by the end of July. Have to keep those variants in check though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Had to be overdose? 

First thing that came to my mind.  Something was clearly going on that was off base.  I read that he checked into the hotel on January 11th and his family reported him missing on February 10th.  Regardless of what happened,  a tragic story.  I'm 38 myself so stories like this really hit home.  He was fun to watch.  RIP.

22 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone get the vaccine yet? 

My 35yr old wife, 67yr old parents, and 89yr old grandmother have all have both shots now.  Wife and parents had Pfizer, Grandmother had Moderna.  My wife was hit the hardest, but it really wasn’t bad.  Headache, back soreness, felt worn down.  Everyone was pretty tired for a day, but the fatigue was about the only “symptom” for the older 3.  

My wife teaches elementary school, and we have had our own kids in daycare/school for the past 7 years and neither of us have ever had the flu to our knowledge.  We’re guessing the younger/stronger immune system caused the stronger reaction, but it still wasn’t bad.  

• Like 1

He was having a great start of the season, the best he's had with the Sabres. Looks like hes facing a long recovery. He also is a workout junky all summer long in Finland. One of the most fit and healthy Sabres. Really goes to show it can hit anyone.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007814144.html

Ristolainen has been suffering from a bad case of COVID-19

- Says he has gone through every possible symptom. He has asked around the league and no one else has had it this bad.

- His oxygen levels had dropped significantly and doing anything at all made him extremely tired

-After a couple of days his symptoms got better only to come back in a different form, chest pains for an example.

-When he had his chest pains, he felt like his heart is going to rip in two when walking up the stairs. Says couple of nights he felt like he wasn't sure if he's going to wake up.

-"I got healthy papers from the doctors but physically I am in such a bad shape that i have a long road ahead of me until I'm fit to play." (Despite this he also says that he can maybe see himself coming back some time next week, but not certain)

He sarcastically remarks that of course if he's going to get it, he'd get it when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

This is an interesting article...Herd immunity by April...

Excerpt:

In my own conversations with medical experts, I have noticed that they too often dismiss natural immunity, arguing that we don’t have data. The data certainly doesn’t fit the classic randomized-controlled-trial model of the old-guard medical establishment. There’s no control group. But the observational data is compelling.

I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose. Several studies demonstrate that natural immunity should protect those who had Covid-19 until more vaccines are available. Half my friends in the medical community told me: Good idea. The other half said there isn’t enough data on natural immunity, despite the fact that reinfections have occurred in less than 1% of people—and when they do occur, the cases are mild.

But the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in.

My prediction that Covid-19 will be mostly gone by April is based on laboratory data, mathematical data, published literature and conversations with experts. But it’s also based on direct observation of how hard testing has been to get, especially for the poor. If you live in a wealthy community where worried people are vigilant about getting tested, you might think that most infections are captured by testing. But if you have seen the many barriers to testing for low-income Americans, you might think that very few infections have been captured at testing centers. Keep in mind that most infections are asymptomatic, which still triggers natural immunity.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic