Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
Hurricane Agnes

E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I made it up to 75 yesterday and then the winds came, dried out the air, and you could feel the CAA as the temp steadily dropped.  Bottomed out at 45 this morning.  Currently at 55 and still breezy.

Yep, definitely. For those who suffer from allergies it felt great. It was like sweeping out the old stale mild air with new fresh cool air. My sinuses and watery eyes said "thank you".

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Afternoon forecast- mostly sunny and 61F

Actual is overcast windy and March

Winds have been more than I expected. But yeah, overcast and 56F currently...

Nevermind lala GFS the ECM gets .1-.2" measurable snow into Bucks, Montco and Berks which obviously would be unprecidented and mind blowing.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Nevermind lala GFS the ECM gets .1-.2" measurable snow into Bucks, Montco and Berks which obviously would be unprecidented and mind blowing.

Being May, if I receive a snow shower which melts on contact I'll be thrilled and cherish the moment....

Just noticed Ft. Dix radar is working again. Only info I could find says repairs were complete April 29th. I hadn't checked because I'd been using Dover.

Someone should let the guy in South Jersey know (the one who doesn't like snow and complains vigorously when Mt. Holly's radar is down).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Just noticed Ft. Dix radar is working again. Only info I could find says repairs were complete April 29th. I hadn't checked because I'd been using Dover.

Someone should let the guy in South Jersey know (the one who doesn't like snow and complains vigorously when Mt. Holly's radar is down).

Thanks, good to know.

Just fell into the 40s at 49F

9 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah I had been saving some of my radar shots the afternoon of of 4/29 and using DOX and noticed that DIX was back.

(1st screenshot is DOX & 2nd is DIX around the same time)

radar-kdox-04292020.png

radar-kdix-04292020.png

14 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I think I've seen this guy complaining on Twitter.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  South Jersey pretty much has the best radar coverage in the country.  

So, the temp is actually dropping here as the day goes on.  As if 20F below normal wasn't enough.  Currently at 48.4F and falling.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I can't believe I have a forecasted high of 44 this Saturday with no rain.

Qualified as a cold winter day in January

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Qualified as a cold winter day in January

Probably the equivalent of a high in the single digits in January.

2 hours ago, BBasile said:

I think I've seen this guy complaining on Twitter.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  South Jersey pretty much has the best radar coverage in the country.  

So, the temp is actually dropping here as the day goes on.  As if 20F below normal wasn't enough.  Currently at 48.4F and falling.  

Yep, I was at 51F earlier...then 50F and now just looked and it's 48F. The clouds have definitely lowered w/some wind and mist/light rain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I can't believe I have a forecasted high of 44 this Saturday with no rain.

Winds will be howling as well....

Looking beyond any possible frozen precipitation for some areas Friday/Saturday both Mt.Holly and Upton are also mentioning wind advisories may be needed for Saturday with a tightening pressure gradient. 

1 hour ago, Newman said:

So.....

ref1km_ptype.us_ne.png

Edit: I'm posting the snow map because why not, its freakin May and even a trace of snow is rare/historic this time of year

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

Benchmark track for us. Bring it!! And people wonder why everyone is sick.

One thing the models do agree on is the cold air available with this
system. 850mb temps are around -10C and as the low pulls offshore
and away from the region, wrap around precipitation will be
likely to occur. With such cold temperatures it is more likely
that a change over to snow or a mix of rain/snow showers will
occur. Light accumulations may occur in the higher elevations of
the southern Poconos and northwestern New Jersey, possibly even
down into portions of the Lehigh Valley.

Glenn sounds pretty damn excited about Sat. Temps in the 40s, winds 40+ at times and a good possibility of flakes falling even in Philly....

46F/rain

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Benchmark track for us. Bring it!! And people wonder why everyone is sick.

This winter in April May pattern is perfect for virus survival and indoor transmission and likely aided thousands of extra deaths between sickness and suicides

• Weenie 1

I can just hear the old codgers telling tales of the the virus and winter cold in the spring of 2020 in the distant future :oldman:

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I can just hear the old codgers telling tales of the the virus and winter cold in the spring of 2020 in the distant future :oldman:

Just wait for the zombies....coming this summer to an area near you!

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

So how unusual is this cold May in Western Chester County PA? very! On top of the potential of snow in the air on Friday and Saturday in May - an extremely rare event in the climate change era....or heck any era climate change or not! We are well on the way to the latest 80+ degree reading in at least the last 38 years here in Chester County. Already through today this is the 5th latest 80+ degree reading so late into May. In looking at the longer range models it looks increasingly possible that we will set a record for the latest 80+ day in County history. Below are the latest such readings 

#1 - 5/22/1988 / #2 - 5/20/1984 / #3 - 5/19/1997 - 5/19/1992 - 5/19/2019 / #4 - 5/10/1987 - #5 - TBD here in 2020

Ended up with 0.08" rain yesterday and a high of 54.  Winds dropped off overnight and took the temps with them where I bottomed out this morning @43.  The clouds of this morning broke up pretty quickly and it's now mostly sunny and temp is on its way up and at 45.