• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 26-29 Synoptic/LES

I’m interested to see how the schools play this tomorrow.  A lot of them called out the NWS and News for overhyping a rather typical snowstorm.

I thought they may pull the warnings for WNY this evening but instead they kept them going until 4pm tomorrow.  So do they close the schools again?  Would be weird sending kids to school while under an official blizzard warning... Even if it’s clear skies..??

Yeah synoptic was a bust oh well.  But BUFs gotta keep that B word under wraps. The media ate that up all night flashing blizzard warning across the screen.  Don’t want to debate the call on the warning but I didn’t really see it.  They drop that warning way to easy these days.  That’s 3 Blizzards in 3 consecutive years?  LES warning would have covered the Erie event so far perfect.  

B4F566E2-93D5-4414-A29B-722B241A0CB1.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It would be quite a shame if you moved and you brought the snow curse with you. That’s exactly what happened to me. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aae33a9dc233402a383

Oh, friend, you don't even know....I know you're from the New England board, so you aren't familiar with this... but what you say about a "Curse" is literally my life when it comes to winter weather....

I bring about the demise of winter wherever I go....really, I do.

lol

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's actually quite a bit less impressive then I  thought it would be at this point. There are 1-2" per in there but was thinking 2-4"+ would be there by now, should increase shortly.

Models were all showing the multi lake connection.  That hasn’t happened yet.  Nice band off Huron is slowly sinking south and should hook up overnight.  

561222DE-3D1B-4F2B-B3FD-63D9C802D705.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I’m interested to see how the schools play this tomorrow.  A lot of them called out the NWS and News for overhyping a rather typical snowstorm.

I thought they may pull the warnings for WNY this evening but instead they kept them going until 4pm tomorrow.  So do they close the schools again?  Would be weird sending kids to school while under an official blizzard warning... Even if it’s clear skies..??

Yeah synoptic was a bust oh well.  But BUFs gotta keep that B word under wraps. The media ate that up all night flashing blizzard warning across the screen.  Don’t want to debate the call on the warning but I didn’t really see it.  They drop that warning way to easy these days.  That’s 3 Blizzards in 3 consecutive years?  LES warning would have covered the Erie event so far perfect.  

B4F566E2-93D5-4414-A29B-722B241A0CB1.jpeg

So she feels the need to call out the NWS after they got 13 inches of snow with high winds? The NWS has to take into account the potential for dangerous weather using blizzard warnings but not over use it so when we do get one people don't just write it off. Either way it's a huge task and responsibility. I also remember NWS getting tons of shit after that huge pile up on the 90 which killed at least one person a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vicarious said:

So she feels the need to call out the NWS after they got 13 inches of snow with high winds? The NWS has to take into account the potential for dangerous weather using blizzard warnings but not over use it so when we do get one people don't just write it off. Either way it's a huge task and responsibility. I also remember NWS getting tons of shit after that huge pile up on the 90 which killed at least one person a few years ago.

The blizzard hit ski country and distant southtowns. 8-14" of snow with 40-50 MPH winds. There was no blizzard warning for the northtowns just a winter storm warning for 4-8" of snow and that verified. It's tough to distinguish the towns as I was technically in the blizzard warning and it verified for about an hour.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I haven’t lost power here in any high wind warning event and I lose power without a wind advisory. Gusts have to be over 60 mph. Kbuf is really drooping the ball. 

Looks like down power lines along a main road in the town. Without a wind advisory up. :lol:

I see KBUF has W 30 G 41 mph at this hour.  A touch higher than KSYR...

37 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Disappointed I didn’t listen to my friend. It’s time to go wagons north. I’m thinking I take 81 to Adams, then 11 north to Watertown. Won’t be an easy drive..

That main band is finally looking potent, and seems to be drifting north. Thoughts on that driving route from some of you locals?

As a former area resident, I suggest taking Route 11 the whole way, or at least get off I81 before you get into the heavy snow.  I think there’s a decent chance of I81 turning into a dangerous parking lot.  On Route 11 you can turn around or pull into a parking lot at any time.  On I81 you are stuck until you get to the next exit which could be hours away in this type of weather.  Keep your fuel tank full along with water, snacks, and blankets inside the car. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1