Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

21 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Great to hear... any pics of it by chance?

I got the same size you got, so I’m curious what there shipping method is and how it will get to me. It’s encouraging to hear you had a good experience though. I’m optimistic.

I'll grab a photo when I get home.  Mine came in a cardboard box that FedEx delivered.  The stems on the top of the tree were bent a bit to get it into the box so I was concerned last year when I planted it but over time those stems straightened out last season.  Actually there is some bending of the new stems this year due to the growth and some of the recent downpours but I can see them getting more straight again already.   

22 hours ago, dendrite said:

I have about 10 germinating. I'll have to find or take some pics.

I would use one with an attachment, but I have a lot of those invasive buckthorn trees and some of them are 2-4" wide. I could probably rent one for the day and save a lot of money, but I like my own toys.

What is this? Tree at the vet hospital.  Soft pliable

20200714_083153.jpg

I was going to guess black walnut, but knew it once I saw the leaves/leaflets. I had been wanting to grow some, but they produce a chemical called juglone which is toxic to many other plants and trees. I'm torn. lol

I guess I could grow some in tree pots and then decide later what to do with them.

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I was going to guess black walnut, but knew it once I saw the leaves/leaflets. I had been wanting to grow some, but they produce a chemical called juglone which is toxic to many other plants and trees. I'm torn. lol

I guess I could grow some in tree pots and then decide later what to do with them.

I am going to try. How do I germinate them? I have a great spot for one away from any other plants.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am going to try. How do I germinate them? I have a great spot for one away from any other plants.

https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Juglans/nigra/////Northern//762/Black-Walnut,-Eastern-Black-Walnut/Black-Walnut,-Eastern-Black-Walnut

I’d give them the soak and then put them in a ziplock bag with some moist (not wet) peat moss and just store them in the back of your fridge. Every once in awhile check them for signs of mold. At some point in the spring they may start germinating in the fridge or you can pull them when the chance of frost is gone and store the bag somewhere safe outside away from critters. Or you can pot them up or directly seed them even if they haven’t started germinating yet and they’ll do their thing eventually. You can directly seed some now too if you protect them from rodents above and below ground. Then they can cold stratify naturally all winter and then start rooting first thing in the spring when nature tells them they’re ready. These nut trees put out strong, deep taproots so direct seeding is really the way to go for the healthiest tree. They’ll be more drought resistant too and you don’t have to worry about transplant shock.

Here’s my autumn blaze. Lookin’ good close to the run. It probably has some roots feeding into that endomycorrhizal fungi under my 1ft deep wood chips in the run. And yeah, there’s a little cloud iridescence above the trees. It looked more clearly like a rainbow in person.

96739322-05DF-4641-93E1-C7E6DED4A261.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Juglans/nigra/////Northern//762/Black-Walnut,-Eastern-Black-Walnut/Black-Walnut,-Eastern-Black-Walnut

I’d give them the soak and then put them in a ziplock bag with some moist (not wet) peat moss and just store them in the back of your fridge. Every once in awhile check them for signs of mold. At some point in the spring they may start germinating in the fridge or you can pull them when the chance of frost is gone and store the bag somewhere safe outside away from critters. Or you can pot them up or directly seed them even if they haven’t started germinating yet and they’ll do their thing eventually. You can directly seed some now too if you protect them from rodents above and below ground. Then they can cold stratify naturally all winter and then start rooting first thing in the spring when nature tells them they’re ready. These nut trees put out strong, deep taproots so direct seeding is really the way to go for the healthiest tree. They’ll be more drought resistant too and you don’t have to worry about transplant shock.

Thanks

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Several years ago a co-worker gave me a box full of black walnuts, probably 200-300 all told, from his trees on the midcoast.  I fall-planted about 2/3 of them, 3 to a hole, and never saw any sprouts at all.  Nor did I see signs of their being excavated by local rodents.  That co-worker also has had no success in getting any to grow.  A side note:  There was a half-full 5-gal bucket of the nuts after I'd planted both of my open areas.  For temporary protection I slid a 2nd bucket into the 1st.  Red squirrels chewed an inch or two from the top edge of the lower bucket, trying (unsuccessfully) to get at the nuts.  Those critters had never been within 50 miles of a black walnut yet they certainly knew good eats when they smelled it.

• Thanks 1

Hosta really took off this year.  We had to replant small ones last year as something ate every single bulb. Garden is producing like crazy. Another garden full of hot and sweet peppers out in the front of the house is loaded with peppers.  Need some natural rain here though. 

Screenshot_20200715-084549_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200715-084525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200715-084504_Gallery.jpg

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

Here’s my autumn blaze. Lookin’ good close to the run. It probably has some roots feeding into that endomycorrhizal fungi under my 1ft deep wood chips in the run. And yeah, there’s a little cloud iridescence above the trees. It looked more clearly like a rainbow in person.

96739322-05DF-4641-93E1-C7E6DED4A261.jpeg

Is your yard fenced in?  As you saw in my photo, there is no way the deer herd around me would allow for lower branches like yours.  Looks good. 

39 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Is your yard fenced in?  As you saw in my photo, there is no way the deer herd around me would allow for lower branches like yours.  Looks good. 

Nope. Not fenced. But the deer get to other plants on the property. I have a patch of sweet clover growing tall that they love. They’ve nipped back my yellow birch and bocking 4 comfrey too. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:37 PM, dendrite said:

I did the ziplock and paper towel route for lupine this spring. Worked great as I would say the majority of those seeds that germinated have taken root in the wild flower bed. Now slugs and snails are doing a number, but I've kept them at bay with garlic water spray. Next step will be a more potent repellent. Several clusters are doing really well though.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, dendrite said:

I think I successfully saved my October glory that had crown dieback last summer. Trimmed the dead branches and sprayed neem oil for the bugs that seemed to be enjoying the open wounds a little too much. Nice full crown this year, no dieback that I can see. 

Hydrangea are definitely blooming purple though, so the blue flowers last year were just a sign of the potting soil the plant came in. My beds need some amendments to bring the pH down.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I did the ziplock and paper towel route for lupine this spring. Worked great as I would say the majority of those seeds that germinated have taken root in the wild flower bed. Now slugs and snails are doing a number, but I've kept them at bay with garlic water spray. Next step will be a more potent repellent. Several clusters are doing really well though.

I think I successfully saved my October glory that had crown dieback last summer. Trimmed the dead branches and sprayed neem oil for the bugs that seemed to be enjoying the open wounds a little too much. Nice full crown this year, no dieback that I can see. 

Hydrangea are definitely blooming purple though, so the blue flowers last year were just a sign of the potting soil the plant came in. My beds need some amendments to bring the pH down.

I’m tempted to purchase one of these. Flowering most of the summer with varying shades of different colors as they age...supposedly independent of any soil acidity amendments. 

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/everlasting-revolution-hydrangea-3-gal.html

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m tempted to purchase one of these. Flowering most of the summer with varying shades of different colors as they age...supposedly independent of any soil acidity amendments. 

I like the name, vive le resistance!

We got two Endless Summer Bloomstruck hydrangea. I think my plant coverings weren't tall enough last year, so a few stem tips got burned and didn't come back, but otherwise they are flourishing. Last season the flower were a deep blue-purple, but this year it's a light rose-purple. So I've added about 0.5 pH worth of sulfur to see if that does the trick.

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Those look good.  I'm looking to start designing plantings that I want for my front beds that were just done.  I'm looking to have year round color/interest thru flowers,shrubs.