• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2020

3 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea we had several mix events last winter too but we certainly had more that tracked under us as well and most of us scored that mid November snowstorm. We all had a pretty good winter overall last year minus the break it took in December and the first part of January. This winter hasn't even been in the same area code since early Jan. We ran a negative AO in late Jan and most of Feb last year and this year we've run a strongly positive AO with spikes of near record + anomalies in Jan/Feb. That's a huge difference upstairs. Folks like Cashtown had about 50" last winter and MDT had an above average season and this year they're looking at a top 5 least snowy meteorological winter if the 2/27 event doesn't deliver anything there. I've lived here my whole almost 34 years and this one's easily going to be the worst winter I've personally seen unless something big happens late. 

At any rate, yes it's definitely the lack of deep cold air thats a major part of the difference this year. You have a remarkably consistent and strong PV that locks up the arctic air (+AO) among having some combination of unfavorable MJO phases, +EPO, -PNA and it's pretty clear to see why we've had a horrendous storm track to deal with. Storms like to ride that baroclinic boundary between the warm and cold air and we haven't been on the right end of that. And we've had occasional opportunities, but we've just missed out on them.  As for the models handling things, I really haven't personally felt they've been any more horrendous than usual in the mid-long range. There's always digital snow to be chased in the long range. But otherwise, I know I've seen enough cutters at all ranges of the models and in reality to last the rest of the decade this winter. I think there's been some instances of the models trying to change the pattern to a more favorable one in the longer range and thus throwing out storms that are favorable for us only to revert back toward the base pattern we've been in most of the winter.. but we've also had pretty good stretches of them showing (correctly) about as much digital snow as real snow (not very much). Also, that Carolina's/SE VA event got lost a little bit in the mid range but was generally seen on the models pretty far out. You put a Euro D10 snowmap of that on back on the 13th... reality had the swath north of that but the prospect of SE snow was seen well in advance.

We're now seeing the another event that has been showing up in the progs the last few days around the 27th. A very robust 500mb low undercutting higher heights that are forecast to temporarily build over Canada with also what looks to be a shortwave dropping in from Canada and phasing to make a significant system. This overall 500mb setup looks good for a strong storm system that could develop a heavy swath of snow, but the problem right now on the progs is the alignment looks to be a bit west of where we'd want it. The ridge axis in the west is being progged along the coast instead of over C-PA preferred Idaho. We could be in better business if we can progress this east enough to pop the low on the coast. The 0z GFS/Euro run this surface low up through central/western PA, while the Canadian was a bit better for true central having the developing low running up the coastal plain.

Thanks for the run down Mag.  My compare to last year was specifically pointed at the fact that almost all systems (save November) either ran to the west of the LSV or at the very least the 850 came over us.  The thing that keeps that MA LR thread alive this year is the fact that many of these cutters are shown different out in that 10 day range.  My memory from last year was that their true cutter colors were displayed on the models a bit earlier (except the FV3) .  Speaking of the FV3 if that truly is the GFS of this year I think that is the most remarkable thing of all of this....this years GFS has hardly shown anything big in the 7-10 range....

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

In the LSV it's going to be a borderline Chamber of Commerce weekend.  50ish, sunshine and light winds both days.  Maybe a bit breezy late tomorrow.    Time to get out and enjoy it.  

Yes...a nice weekend to open windows, except for Maytown he will have the ac set at 40.  I'm going to keep the positive vibes going.  We only have 213 days, 8 hours and 24 minutes until the first day of fall!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I still do not know how you can deal with no heat so many nights.  It would be in the 40's on my house.  

Lol... I was thinking the same thing...

There haven’t been 8 days that my heat has Not been on all winter !

It’s been a mild winter, but come on... it’s not like we have had day after day of 60 + degree weather. Also, people seem to forget that November & the first half of December were pretty cold as well.

One more thing on this topic, if it isn’t going to snow, then the temps might as well be in the 60’s or 70’s !

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It’s been a mild winter, but come on... it’s not like we have had day after day of 60 + degree weather. Also, people seem to forget that November & the first half of December were pretty cold as well.

One more thing on this topic, if it isn’t going to snow, then the temps might as well be in the 60’s or 70’s !

Agreed.   Early golf season.  

8 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol... Blizz ready for warm weather.  That is the nail in the coffin.  This is kind of like the groundhog not seeing his shadow!

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

My wife would not be happy with anything below 70.  We have a wood stove and once your bones are used to the wood heat, everything else is cold.    

Maybe Itstrainingtimeinmaytown uses a stove as well.  He probably told me as such before.  We use 3 different kinds of heat at different times.  Oil, electric and a propane fireplace.  Keep it around 67.

57 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Maybe Itstrainingtimeinmaytown uses a stove as well.  He probably told me as such before.  We use 3 different kinds of heat at different times.  Oil, electric and a propane fireplace.  Keep it around 67.

I have natural gas as well.   Use the wood stove for cold snaps and always when it’s snow.   Nothing better.   Let’s just says I’m set for next winter.   :facepalm:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I run a coal stoker stove. Pretty much a constant 70 degrees in the house. This morning it was 14 degrees and the house was 68.

I sure would like us to get one decent snow storm this winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

2 hours ago, daxx said:

Lol... Blizz ready for warm weather.  That is the nail in the coffin.  This is kind of like the groundhog not seeing his shadow!

Who hacked Blizz's account?

• Haha 2