IrishRob17

Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

Recommended Posts

No driving was pretty sketchy and I was kinda busy ;)  I have the worst tires on my car for cold slippery roads and this was right at that hairy edge of "oh shit". I've only seen it happen at MUCH lower temps and only when surfaces are already frozen and coated. With everything including the air well above freezing this was so unexpected and awesome to experience. It was right at that fuzzy top edge of the cloud deck and there was nothing at all above or below that thin layer. I obviously didn't have much to do other than cruise in the dark after that so had hours to sit and analyze it and just kept buzzing about how cool it was. I think my wife got a little bit annoyed :lmao: 

 

Woot I'm famous :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NepaJames8602 said:

What a nice little surprise snowfall tonight here in the Poconos. 2.5 to 3.0" depending on surface and still snowing.

Picked up 1.2" here.. Nice surprise indeed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed this morning that our sub forum title is not in bold like all of the other sub forums. Is this a subliminal message that our area does not really belong in the NYC metro, as several members to the south have argued during the past month?

32.4° 0.0 inches of snow last night. The seasonal stays put at 19.5 inches.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I noticed this morning that our sub forum title is not in bold like all of the other sub forums. Is this a subliminal message that our area does not really belong in the NYC metro, as several members to the south have argued during the past month?

32.4° 0.0 inches of snow last night. The seasonal stays put at 19.5 inches.

 

I believe it is bold if there are new posts in that thread since the last time one visited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I believe it is bold if there are new posts in that thread since the last time one visited. 

Thanks for the explanation Rob, that makes sense. It's just another sign of the times and the horrible pattern that has controlled us for the past 7 weeks that this is my biggest concern.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Pictures? I'm desperate.

Here’s a few from today from Franconia Notch, Mount Washington, and Crawford Notch. I’d say the Mount Washington Snow Coach is a must for winter enthusiasts. The took us to just over 4,000 feet where it was -2 with 40 MPH winds and higher gusts. 

8C57E7FF-CC8B-474D-9847-6A0E5F6ECF10.jpeg

648B6E25-71C1-4C39-ACD4-391FC517D33E.jpeg

50F2A153-2DBA-405F-8698-9F8B46F704D2.jpeg

5F3C97BD-71F5-4EAF-A76E-E1449F8286A9.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Here’s a few from today from Franconia Notch, Mount Washington, and Crawford Notch. I’d say the Mount Washington Snow Coach is a must for winter enthusiasts. The took us to just over 4,000 feet where it was -2 with 40 MPH winds and higher gusts. 

8C57E7FF-CC8B-474D-9847-6A0E5F6ECF10.jpeg

648B6E25-71C1-4C39-ACD4-391FC517D33E.jpeg

50F2A153-2DBA-405F-8698-9F8B46F704D2.jpeg

5F3C97BD-71F5-4EAF-A76E-E1449F8286A9.jpeg

Beautiful pics. I’m jealous. You missed the action here today, got a dusting in snow showers :sled: Enjoy up there :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Here’s a few from today from Franconia Notch, Mount Washington, and Crawford Notch. I’d say the Mount Washington Snow Coach is a must for winter enthusiasts. The took us to just over 4,000 feet where it was -2 with 40 MPH winds and higher gusts. 

8C57E7FF-CC8B-474D-9847-6A0E5F6ECF10.jpeg

648B6E25-71C1-4C39-ACD4-391FC517D33E.jpeg

50F2A153-2DBA-405F-8698-9F8B46F704D2.jpeg

5F3C97BD-71F5-4EAF-A76E-E1449F8286A9.jpeg

Beautiful pictures, beautiful area.

I stayed in North Conway and finally made it to the Mt. Washington summit this summer, incredible place. Stop in the Mt. Washington museum in North Conway if you get a chance and haven't been, it's a weather enthusiasts paradise.

They still have stuff running this time of year that takes you up to 4,000 feet on Mt. Washington? If so I'll have to add that to the bucket list.

I also got to the summit of Whiteface mountain near Lake Placid last September, another worthwhile trip. Leaves were at their peak in the valley and past peak above 3,000 feet, and pretty much leafless over 4,000 feet. On a clear day you can see presidential range from the peak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Beautiful pictures, beautiful area.

I stayed in North Conway and finally made it to the Mt. Washington summit this summer, incredible place. Stop in the Mt. Washington museum in North Conway if you get a chance and haven't been, it's a weather enthusiasts paradise.

They still have stuff running this time of year that takes you up to 4,000 feet on Mt. Washington? If so I'll have to add that to the bucket list.

I also got to the summit of Whiteface mountain near Lake Placid last September, another worthwhile trip. Leaves were at their peak in the valley and past peak above 3,000 feet, and pretty much leafless over 4,000 feet. On a clear day you can see presidential range from the peak.

I was born in New Hampshire but raised in NY since the age of 5 so I’m luckily familiar with many of the sites up there, I go up about once a year. The museum in North Conway is cool, been there a couple times, glad you got to see it too. I’ve been up there spring, summer, and fall but this was my first trip in the winter since 1982 so it was long overdue. I’ve driven up Mount Washington a couples times, rode up a couple times, took the train my first time up and have ridden in the coaches up in summer and now winter. The Mount Washington Auto Road runs snow coaches in the winter, well worth it for folks like us especially, here’s a link:

https://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/snowcoach-mock-up

I was up Whiteface once in the fall, that was also beautiful. Here’s a couple photos this morning from the top of Kancamagus Pass.

D68E014D-7818-4894-BA73-DE3854897C51.jpeg

B8568591-AFCF-44AC-95E6-BA7E9A3259B7.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid winter going on apparently. It's similar around the Daks and Green Mtn spine up north from pics and reports.

Well, I got home just in time. It fizzled for 5 minutes as the temp dropped from 34 to 32 within the last 3 miles of home. 3,489 miles with nothing more than some light rain in the Lower Keys and finishing with heavy flakeage as I pulled above 500 feet coming up the hill.

It's snowing nicely here at home and I have a cold beer helping me to wind down after starting the day 700 miles away and having lunch on the beach in Virginia. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.