Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

7.4 inches otg at 11:00, so a very modest 0.6 inches in the last hour, yet as Rob just stated I show no radar echoes over Orange County yet it has snowed the last hour and it's still snowing. Science is great when it works.

Off to bed gents, I have no idea at this point what the morning will bring. I'm hoping somehow we end up under the impending  death band everyone keeps referencing and I can barely see out my window. More likely the sun will be shining and the 7.4 inches of snow I just measured will be 4.2 inches of compressed snow, ice, and sleet from the more warm nose that will ultimately spread over Orange County after midnight.

The radar is filling in nicely to our south, I think it pounds again soon enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Agree that more goodies are on the way, but would caution that those impressive looking echoes are being enhanced quite a bit by sleet/melting and will weaken as they push north. Probably won't reach the snowfall intensities that many of us saw a few hours ago. 

KcauHJG.jpg

Can’t complain really enjoying the event so far. Ski areas are getting crushed right now. Epic start to the season for them. I tried buying tickets today for Friday and hunter/belleayre were sold out already. Ended up settling for Jiminy peak, looks like they’re gonna do ok lol. 

3 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

Can’t complain really enjoying the event so far. Ski areas are getting crushed right now. Epic start to the season for them. I tried buying tickets today for Friday and hunter/belleayre were sold out already. Ended up settling for Jiminy peak, looks like they’re gonna do ok lol. 

Yeah, even if we struck out in the second round, a widespread 6-8" would be just fine for mid-December. 

Light sleet, grauple, and even a few liquid drops falling now. Never would have thought it, but even this far north I'm starting to lose ice nuclei activation in whatever saturated layers may be around. 

Fell asleep :mellow: Looks to be at least 8-9" but the wind has smoothed everything out nicely so good measurements are gonna be tough. A whole section of my front lawn still has grass showing and the other side looks to be at least a foot deep and the cars are pretty much clean (which is nice).  Looks like I missed a fun one when I fell asleep :thumbsdown:

35 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

This is one bone-chilling snowstorm imby. 18F with a stinging wind, brutal. Pretty incredible for this to be the case in a storm whose potential was ultimately thwarted by mid-level warming.

Seeing those 40"+ totals from out west really stings. I can't lie.

I know.  I feel robbed. When I posted in the main forum about my concerns for mid level warming yesterday, I was told not to worry at all up here.  Well, I had a good reason and there we are.  I love the snow and feel grateful for it, but yeah... What could have been.  An opportunity like this probably won't present itself for a log time again.  If we aren't fringed, we're warmed.  

16 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

This is one bone-chilling snowstorm imby. 18F with a stinging wind, brutal. Pretty incredible for this to be the case in a storm whose potential was ultimately thwarted by mid-level warming.

Seeing those 40"+ totals from out west really stings. I can't lie.

Well that’s always going to sting.  And it’s a chicken or the egg argument but the storm coming further up the NJ coast pushed those crazy totals to our N and W and that led to the bit of warming, no?  Clearly not jackpotting will always bother people but at the end of the day a foot of snow with blowing and drifting and bitter cold, deep winter conditions, a week before Christmas is nothing to complain about IMO. Winter was cancelled at the start of December and look at what we have outside the window now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well that’s always going to sting.  And it’s a chicken or the egg argument but the storm coming further up the NJ coast pushed those crazy totals to our N and W and that led to the bit of warming, no?  Clearly not jackpotting will always bother people but at the end of the day a foot of snow with blowing and drifting and bitter cold, deep winter conditions, a week before Christmas is nothing to complain about IMO. Winter was cancelled at the start of December and look at what we have outside the window now. 

Thanks for reminding me.  Such is life too.  Some will always have it better, be living my dream when I can't.  But I gotta remember I am living another's dream too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Thanks for reminding me.  Such is life too.  Some will always have it better, be living my dream when I can't.  But I gotta remember I am living another's dream too. 

There you go!  Don’t get me wrong, while they picked up on the storm last week I’m still blown away by the huge swings in the models as we got closer.  A couple days ago it looked like I would be on the northern fringe of the heaviest snow and in reality I wasn’t even close to the southern fringe. It’s the nature of the beast with snowstorms that’s only made worse by our access to all the models weeks in advance.  So with all that, it’s easy to overlook what goes down as a solid snowstorm IMBY. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Sat in my living room with all the lights off except the christmas tree, with snow falling outside, and christmas music playing. I was disappointed we didnt get more, but having a night like last night a week before christmas after the last few decembers we’ve had? Just for a few minutes it was perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Sat in my living room with all the lights off except the christmas tree, with snow falling outside, and christmas music playing. I was disappointed we didnt get more, but having a night like last night a week before christmas after the last few decembers we’ve had? Just for a few minutes it was perfect. 

Amen to that!  Winter wonderland this morning. 

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

For sure. That was a really exaggerated mid-level dry push though... more than would be expected from that storm track IMO. Someone mentioned this as a point of caution in the SNE thread the other day, but it really did come to pass that the conveyor belt structure remained disjointed during cyclogenesis. It'll definitely be a funky snowfall distribution when all is said and done, but every storm is unique. 

Some nice snow showers with decent growth hanging back currently as the ULL crests overhead. Might be good for another inch or two.

• Like 2