Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It almost never happens outside of maybe the Berkshires at high elevation. The few years can think where pre-Dec 10th snowpack went all the way are maybe 2002, 1995, 1970, and 1960. Most of these were relegated to the interior too, as the CP got wiped out at some point those winters....exception might be 1970-1971.

I think 1981-1982 also came close but didn't quite do it. 2013-2014 may have done it as well for N ORH county...they survived the Grinch storm and then also still had snowpack after the epic cutter in Jan 2014.

Those dates looked like they supported big winters too as that would stand to reason retaining a pack for that length of time.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It almost never happens outside of maybe the Berkshires at high elevation. The few years can think where pre-Dec 10th snowpack went all the way are maybe 2002, 1995, 1970, and 1960. Most of these were relegated to the interior too, as the CP got wiped out at some point those winters....exception might be 1970-1971.

I think 1981-1982 also came close but didn't quite do it. 2013-2014 may have done it as well for N ORH county...they survived the Grinch storm and then also still had snowpack after the epic cutter in Jan 2014.

AE84B04F-003B-4374-B2A9-1434240279A0.jpeg

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Those dates looked like they supported big winters too as that would stand to reason retaining a pack for that length of time.

Yeah you need replenishers to sustain snowpack for most of us. Outside of the high mountain areas or extreme weenie CAD zones (like where Tamarack is), it is difficult to keep solid cover without adding to it from time to time.

A year like 207-2018 is a good example...we had snow cover start in the Dec 9th storm and it was looking strong well past New Years after the 1/4 storm, but then it took an absolute beating in the mid-month 2 day cutter and anything that survived got finished off in the next cutter a week later. So even though that snowpack made it over a month from the start point, it got wiped out mid-winter because we couldn't keep adding to it after the 1/4 storm and couldn't avoid the epic cutter.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

AE84B04F-003B-4374-B2A9-1434240279A0.jpeg

Ashburnham somehow kept their pack after that obscene 4 day January 2008 massacre.....though latitude helped a lot that winter. That '00-'01 winter was epic, but it took until later December to really get it started. The mid-Dec 2000 event got obliterated by that monster cutter on 12/17-18.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you need replenishers to sustain snowpack for most of us. Outside of the high mountain areas or extreme weenie CAD zones (like where Tamarack is), it is difficult to keep solid cover without adding to it from time to time.

A year like 207-2018 is a good example...we had snow cover start in the Dec 9th storm and it was looking strong well past New Years after the 1/4 storm, but then it took an absolute beating in the mid-month 2 day cutter and anything that survived got finished off in the next cutter a week later. So even though that snowpack made it over a month from the start point, it got wiped out mid-winter because we couldn't keep adding to it after the 1/4 storm and couldn't avoid the epic cutter.

You definitely would need refreshers to maintain if your outside of northern areas as well as CAD ones too, Its tough here being on the coastal plain to go wire to wire, Sustained south winds and torch temps will destroy any pack if its over a sustained period, Most years its Mid month on where i even consider keeping one, It won't be any earlier this season here.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dendrite is definitely in the "weenie CAD zone"....basically from his 'hood up to near Tamarack....including lakes region and up towards IZG.

Anywhere generally in that foothill area that's not subject to much down sloping can retain a lot longer plus are not as affected as much by southerly wind exposure as they are protected or in some of the low lying valleys .

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Anywhere generally in that foothill area that's not subject to much down sloping can retain a lot longer plus are not as affected as much by southerly wind exposure as they are protected or in some of the low lying valleys .

Ashburnham is basically the SNE version of that zone....those protected elevated areas in N ORH county can retain pretty efficiently. I've seen us get wiped out on Winter Hill and then drive maybe 5 miles north to the north side of Holden and it can be 100% cover with 6"+ still.

Even within the city of ORH, I've seen us hold onto good pack on the north side and the south side is almost totally bare. But generally as a rule, the further north and east you get into the hills, the better protected they become.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ashburnham is basically the SNE version of that zone....those protected elevated areas in N ORH county can retain pretty efficiently. I've seen us get wiped out on Winter Hill and then drive maybe 5 miles north to the north side of Holden and it can be 100% cover with 6"+ still.

Even within the city of ORH, I've seen us hold onto good pack on the north side and the south side is almost totally bare. But generally as a rule, the further north and east you get into the hills, the better protected they become.

Don't have to venture very far north or west and you can see a huge difference in the snow retention from here as we lie just below the foothills to the SE, Often times on calm winds, My temps can be compatible to IZG and SFM but that has to be in the right northerly drain scenario.

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Did you CAD through the night?    My neighborhood didn’t break out of the upper 30s until around 10 AM this morning.   46F for a high. 

The northern part of Enfield was colder than me yesterday, but I got more sleet in my part of town, I got about 5" of concrete. What's left is that tough base layer.