Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday 12/2 Threat Disco

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Was in college then in VT. Deets on those systems?

Conditions surrounding the storm allowed for several bands of heavy snowfall to set up over New York State and New England, including a small area of 4 in (100 mm) per hour snowfall rates in the Hudson Valley. As a result of extremely cold temperatures over the region, snowfall accumulations were generally significant and broke several daily records. At Albany, New York, 12.5 in (320 mm) of snow fell in just one day. Locations affected by the storm commonly picked up 17 to 24 in (430 to 610 mm), with totals occasionally exceeding 30 in (760 mm).[3]

The event led to widespread travel delays from Washington, D.C. to Boston, and around 13 people lost their lives because of the storm. 35.6 of snow inches fell just 14 miles north of Boston in the city of Peabody, Massachusetts.[5] The nor'easter was among the largest early-season winter storms on record to affect the major East Coast cities. Many areas reported blizzard-like conditions

12/5-6/03 is one of the most underrated busts ever.  The first part of the storm overperformed for NYC because SNE cleared out overnight ahead of the cirrus shield and the NE flow affected much colder and drier down ahead of the WAA precip than expected.  Instead of the 38/35 that was expected it was 38/28.  Then the second part of the storm that was supposed to be the main show was disjointed and produced virtually nothing 

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This is the 12/5-6/03 blizzard, so what is that? There were two back to back major nor'easters 1 day apart in Dec 03? I don't remember that, something isn't adding up

Just a time range thing I think. CIPS only has 24 hour snowfall on there, which cuts off southern areas. But if you go back 12 hours you cut off northern areas.

• Like 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

12/5-6/03 is one of the most underrated busts ever.  The first part of the storm overperformed for NYC because SNE cleared out overnight ahead of the cirrus shield and the NE flow affected much colder and drier down ahead of the WAA precip than expected.  Instead of the 38/35 that was expected it was 38/28.  Then the second part of the storm that was supposed to be the main show was disjointed and produced virtually nothing 

See my radar, it was a bad bust in CT

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Conditions surrounding the storm allowed for several bands of heavy snowfall to set up over New York State and New England, including a small area of 4 in (100 mm) per hour snowfall rates in the Hudson Valley. As a result of extremely cold temperatures over the region, snowfall accumulations were generally significant and broke several daily records. At Albany, New York, 12.5 in (320 mm) of snow fell in just one day. Locations affected by the storm commonly picked up 17 to 24 in (430 to 610 mm), with totals occasionally exceeding 30 in (760 mm).[3]

The event led to widespread travel delays from Washington, D.C. to Boston, and around 13 people lost their lives because of the storm. 35.6 of snow inches fell just 14 miles north of Boston in the city of Peabody, Massachusetts.[5] The nor'easter was among the largest early-season winter storms on record to affect the major East Coast cities. Many areas reported blizzard-like conditions

Thanks, Steve. Amazed a storm of that magnitude eludes my memory, but then again, I was in college and probably cramming for finals.

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

That Map is grossly inaccurate. NYC got 14"

It's not really. It's 24 hour snowfall ending 12z on the 7th. So it doesn't have any snow for the 5th into the morning of the 6th. I had to pick a time window and this one had the most snow to highlight what type of event it was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I feel like this is a pretty common bust on modeling. Just happened on a much smaller scale with our last warning event.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I feel like this is a pretty common bust on modeling. Just happened on a much smaller scale with our last warning event.

The worst thing was nobody reacted that morning when it was evident the forecast was in serious trouble.  There was insane rates of rainfall moving up the NJ coast and it was 35/26 or something in NYC and basically all everyone did was push the changeover time back when in reality no significant warming was occurring on a NE wind 

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Front end dropped about 5" in the evening, then a huge slot, then snsh on and off for another 2 or 3"

That CIPS page has really expanded the fields you can look at regarding old events.

The banding signature was pretty great.

NARR4pFRNT_2003120700.png

850 mb through 450 mb essentially stacked f-gen. Leading to a really solid single band like your radar images show.

Those 2003 storms really sucked as a new college met student. 12/7/03 I was in Ithaca before break, Rhody was slammed. 1/4/03 I was home on holiday break and ITH got slammed. 

While we're at it 12/26/02 another RI whiff while home on holiday break. I definitely remember the back to back events that I missed while home in RI. I'm sure @ORH_wxman has the same memory of missing the ITH goods (though ORH was admittedly much better off than East Bay RI).

While we're at it 12/26/02 another RI whiff while home on holiday break. I definitely remember the back to back events that I missed while home in RI. I'm sure @ORH_wxman has the same memory of missing the ITH goods (though ORH was admittedly much better off than East Bay RI).

Those were the twin 20"+ Albany storms