• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December/January 2019/20 Winter Speculation Thread

AMZ8990

Hey guys, its been awhile since I have been on here, but I am from Alabama and will be making a trip with the family to the mountains in Gatlinburg in hopes of some nice snow from the weekend system. Our cabin is 2900 feet up off ski mountain road and we will be arriving early Saturday morning and driving back on Monday.

We did this a couple years ago and Carvers Gap and a few of you other folks that are used to dealing with events in the mountains were a big help. I look forward to tracking this weekends storm and hope we can score on a nice NW flow event.

• Like 3

Euro Weeklies actually correlate to the 12z EPS today...that is a good thing considering that it is derived from the 0z Euro suite.  Cold in Alaska dives in the eastern U.S., forms a massive trough, tries to lift out, gets trapped, and rotates cold into the eastern US for about four weeks.  Not all cold, but basically a BN heights over HB pinwheeling cold fronts into the US until it burns out.  Only danger would be that it tightens up so much that heights rise underneath it.  When I saw it, I thought that looked like a pretty good storm look.  NE TN has a snow mean of nearly 11."  Rest of the area is climatology or better.  Fits the trends of the last 36 hours where modeling has cooled considerably during 10-15.  @weathertree4u, no idea of this verifies but sort of confirms what you were asking about earlier today.  Warm-up is being shortened and muted.  A friend shared with me Eric Webb on Twitter commented on exactly that.  No idea if it holds.  We need the MJO to get out of 5/6 quickly if it goes back...but we can be cautiously optimistic today that it appears that winter may have left a light on for us.  Temps for the next 46 days are normal on the Euro Weeklies.  That is good sign for a model that is typically warm.  

• Like 3

And the question is...Is this another head fake?  That is entirely possible.  Just sharing some maps, information, and opinions.  But again, the good thing is that the Weeklies actually do match the next run at 12z.  The control run, while not great for us, dumps four feet over the NE.  That would imply a good storm track for us as well which the mean does support.  Take with a huge grain of salt.  @holston, do you have the November gif in your library anywhere of the 500 pattern?  Have to think the Weeklies look pretty similar.  I have one map in my attachments that looks very similar.  

We will enjoy this run, and see where it goes from here.

• Like 1

Here are the first 14 days of November.

329320341_ScreenShot2019-11-14at7_49_03AM.png.d80a8670d933761d5ed4dc27ab8b543a.png

Here is the seven day time frame found on the Euro Weeklies for Feb 4-11 at 500mb.  Pretty close.  

1625244796_ScreenShot2020-01-20at5_52_47PM.png.f0c8a82a0625a6c181aa03738dfe9069.png

I am ahead of myself for sure.  Would be really neat to see that even get close.  And for sure, that is apples to oranges since one is a temp map and one is 500.  (Edit) I have found the Weekly temp maps take some time to catch-up to the 500 map though the surface from Feb 7-14 looks similar.  Remember...huge grain of salt at this point, but fun to discuss.

Just now, weathertree4u said:

Yea, I agree, yet, the wild swings in the models make me real nervous to get on board.

The great thing is as a hobby we can let her rip.  If we miss, no biggie.  One of these days, we will reel in a pattern like that.  Maybe not this time.  Again, that extra cold front around d8-9 might not be real.  It totally changes the complexity of that run.   Good thing is, that is actually inside of d10 - barely.  But the way I look at, just enjoy the ride.  

Speaking of wild swings, you and I noticed modeling getting "fidgety" yesterday.  That is usually a sure sign they are getting ready to bounce around.  I highly doubt modeling is done bouncing.  The only thing in our favor is we are due for a pattern change.  So we will learn from the last head fake.  We will enjoy it from afar, but we are not buying that look yet unless it is with Monopoly money.

• Like 1

The 18z has a Miller B, two Miller As, a slider, and a clipper.  The snowfall maps are a bit wonky as the valleys get far less than the foothills.  That is likely due to the position of the slp and that modeling is notorious for not getting the temp crash in the northwest quadrant correct.  But those SLPs in that run were boomers.  One is at 988 on its way 974 over Massachusetts.   The next one is 999 over western NC on its way to 983 over Toronto.  If anything, this run probably show where the pattern "could" go and not necessarily where it "will" go.  Holston do you have the 7 day 500 anomaly map for d8-15 of that run?  I am about out of space.  It shows how different that run is.  Probably an outlier, but interesting to see.

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

For some reason tropical Tidbits is running slow, so used Pivotal:

giphy.gif

I would be shocked if that verified as one doesn't see that on modeling every winter.  Severe break from continuity.  Let's see if any subsequent runs get close.  Obviously won't be that good every run.  That is a rare bird right there.  However, that is what a Hudson Bay high can do and why it has produced many good snowstorms in the East.  Watch it force all of that energy southeast and even manages a banana high at times.  

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic