• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January 2019/20 Winter Speculation Thread

AMZ8990

This is the strongest +IOD on record this year since 1982 per SINTEX.In Feb the of 2007 the IOD was still reading + but this is typical of strong IOD events.Every year since 1982 not counting this year there has always been a moderate to strong LaNina the following ,.1995,1997,2007

Unlike the low solar years like this year these IOD events have happened into the mid decades which makes this seem rather unusual to an extent

Even with the low solar there has never been a SSW IN 1994-1995  AND 1997-1998.This could have some merit because of a stronger ENSO compared to 2006-2007.

In 2006-2007 The ENSO was a border line weak-moderate ElNino  winter.But this was the only winter season to actually have a SSW into Feb.It got real cold though in Feb of 2007,there is also signs of a SSW upcoming.Who know at this point,but something to keep an eye on..

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/200702

AccuWeather com Professional Model Animator.png

Stratosphere diagnostics • Atmospheric Dynamics • Department of Earth Sciences.png

essd-9-63-2017 pdf.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

there is also signs of a SSW upcoming.Who know at this point,but something to keep an eye on..

Was actually about to post some gifs about it for the Euro, GFS, and GOES models, but my computer crapped out.

Euro has enough of an umph to break off a little whirl of it:

giphy.gif

GFS wanting to elongate it:

giphy.gif

GOES has some disruptions, but not as much

giphy.gif

One of the things I noticed when we had the ensemble flop a while back was that the GFS was thinking about a split, but Euro reconsolidated it over Siberia and once the Euro saw that, that contributed to the flip. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Was actually about to post some gifs about it for the Euro, GFS, and GOES models, but my computer crapped out.

Euro has enough of an umph to break off a little whirl of it:

giphy.gif

GFS wanting to elongate it:

giphy.gif

GOES has some disruptions, but not as much

giphy.gif

One of the things I noticed when we had the ensemble flop a while back was that the GFS was thinking about a split, but Euro reconsolidated it over Siberia and once the Euro saw that, that contributed to the flip. 

Similar pattern it would turn cold with the AK warming by the weeklies,can you make your screen bigger when you post with tinypic?It could make the clarity better?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Just a note you can still get tropical monitoring on NCICS.

Ventrice took it off his site for some reason.

Did he take all the links off permanently?  Noticed I had to start typing "MJO dynamical models" into google to get the full MJO model suite mess, instead of just clicking on Ventrice's page. TBH couldn't remember if they were on his page or not, lol.

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Did he take all the links off permanently?  Noticed I had to start typing "MJO dynamical models" into google to get the full MJO model suite mess, instead of just clicking on Ventrice's page. TBH couldn't remember if they were on his page or not, lol.

Maybe money or rights?Not sure why he'd ommit it.It's a great tool and easy to decipher oceanic waves

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I use the CPC for the MJO,it usually updates our time just after 8 or some where in that line in the morning,Euro is later on tho

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjo.shtml

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

This is the strongest +IOD on record this year since 1982 per SINTEX.In Feb the of 2007 the IOD was still reading + but this is typical of strong IOD events.Every year since 1982 not counting this year there has always been a moderate to strong LaNina the following ,.1995,1997,2007

Unlike the low solar years like this year these IOD events have happened into the mid decades which makes this seem rather unusual to an extent

Even with the low solar there has never been a SSW IN 1994-1995  AND 1997-1998.This could have some merit because of a stronger ENSO compared to 2006-2007.

In 2006-2007 The ENSO was a border line weak-moderate ElNino  winter.But this was the only winter season to actually have a SSW into Feb.It got real cold though in Feb of 2007,there is also signs of a SSW upcoming.Who know at this point,but something to keep an eye on..

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/200702

Stratosphere diagnostics • Atmospheric Dynamics • Department of Earth Sciences.png

essd-9-63-2017 pdf.png

14.png

More poleward today

6 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@weathertree4u

All that PV mess last night was more aimed at it looks more likely now that it has all season, BUUUUT, that's not saying much and  doesn't mean it's gonna to happen. 

Was hoping that was the case and that by posting that I could get a translation, thank you! Just an awful waste to see all the southern storms and not have enough cold air; if the last run of the GFS is to be believed, Jacksonville Florida could get a good storm!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Check out the longwave pattern the control was going for in the longrange. Looks to me like its going for ridging into the EPO and NAO areas. 

giphy.gif

Looks good, I wholeheartedly agree but we have had issues translating the long range into the short range lately, seems to always change - although I can say that doesnt not look like we will be in an extremely warm pattern going forward as previous which is always good too see if for nothing else to slow some of the plants down.

9 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Looks good, I wholeheartedly agree but we have had issues translating the long range into the short range lately, seems to always change

Sure, things change or fall apart, but I've decided I kinda like at least looking at the control alongside the EPS smoothed means, since it gives a concrete picture of where things might really go, to compare to the smoothed mean that has a 50 different possibilities figured in. 

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Sure, things change or fall apart, but I've decided I kinda like at least looking at the control alongside the EPS smoothed means, since it gives a concrete picture of where things might really go, to compare to the smoothed mean that has a 50 different possibilities figured in. 

That is true - according to the EURO looks like the PV is displaced headed towards the continental US - in reality, I will never be satisfied with the Winter season living in the South, I recognize that!

Modeling is all over the place.  Mentioned a day or two ago that it was probably going to be fairly erratic.  Want to see "almost" perfect placement of AN height anomalies at high latitude that would result in us being the icebox...see the Euro control.  The EPS pulls back some on the trough but we will see how far back it can actually get.  The 6z GEFS corrected its western look more eastward.  Right now looks like a cold dump into the East and settles back into the front range.  SER will be there off and on it looks like.   Not unusual and should not be a surprise given recent discussions about it.  I don't think I buy the suppressed looks on modeling over night.  It is not unusual for storms to get lost on modeling.  Overall, I think the LR models have yet to settle on a LR look.  High latitude blocking is showing up at times.  My general rule of thumb when models begin to bounce around is that big changes are coming and that possible very cold air is about to enter the lower 48.  Looks like a stormy pattern ahead for the next month or so.  

Vols vs Kansas today.  Hoping my Vols can keep it close late into the contest.  

Looks like the trend on the MJO this morning is about to go into the COD and be there for a bit.  The Euro has lost most of its amplitude regarding its phase 6 loop.  It might stay there 4-5 days at most with some of those days barely in 6.  The BOMM a few days back basically stuck the MJO in the COD and left it there.  My suspicion on this is that the MJO is about to head to some good phases.  We will see if I am correct.   One interesting thing to see is if the MJO heads into phases 1-3 which looks an awful lot like what is on ensembles.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic