• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

I saw from my webcam that snow started up this morning at our place in Waterbury similar to here in Burlington, but I hadn’t seen any accumulation yet down at these elevations.  I see now that we’re just starting to get accumulation at the house at 500’.  Bolton Valley at 2,100’ at the main base looks like they’ve picked up an inch or so thus far via their webcam.

29 minutes ago, alex said:

3/4” here. First snow at my new house. It’s definitely a weenie house. I had the electrician put in a bunch of high powered flood lights all around the house and I love it. So awesome to watch the snow fall from the big windows. Sitting in the dining room is like being in a snow globe  

F9E2452A-11E5-43F1-9E8C-0148AC323D4F.jpeg

BE6ADE59-B9C4-45EB-BC45-29D344DC60E6.jpeg

EB62ED7A-327C-400E-9957-FABBA20DA136.jpeg

Nice place Alex.

32 minutes ago, alex said:

3/4” here. First snow at my new house. It’s definitely a weenie house. I had the electrician put in a bunch of high powered flood lights all around the house and I love it. So awesome to watch the snow fall from the big windows. Sitting in the dining room is like being in a snow globe  

F9E2452A-11E5-43F1-9E8C-0148AC323D4F.jpeg

BE6ADE59-B9C4-45EB-BC45-29D344DC60E6.jpeg

EB62ED7A-327C-400E-9957-FABBA20DA136.jpeg

Lol, its definitely an underrated aspect in selecting a house---flood light coverage for pure weenieism ;)  You certainly look to have adequate coverage.

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.15” L.E.

The precipitation was snow here from the start as far as I can tell, but based on the water in the gauge vs. the snow core, a little of the moisture was not captured in that snow during that period when there was no accumulation and things were melting on contact.  There’s a bit more accumulation out there since the 6:00 P.M. observations, but the snowfall is very light with small flakes.  The forecast has another 1-3” through tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes.  Temperatures should be colder though, with sub-freezing highs even in the lower valleys, so there really shouldn’t be much snow lost to melting.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.2

Snow Density: 16.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.2 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.18” L.E.

The most challenging part of documenting this event so far has been whether or not the cold front was going to be a distinct from everything that is happening today, but it looks like this is all going to come together as a single event.  We had some clearing last night after the cold front went through, but a few flakes lingered and we’d picked up another tenth or two through the late evening.  With the fairly minor accumulations, there wasn’t much call to clear the snowboards at midnight, so I just left them until this morning.  Obviously the snowfall picked up at some point overnight/this morning because there was 1.2” of additional snow at 6:00 A.M. observations.  The BTV NWS is mentioning a number of different elements playing into the creation of the snow on the back side of this cold front, including a shortwave, lake moisture, and even convective snow showers.

The boys told me that there was some fairly hefty snowfall yesterday when they got home from school, which was just around the point that the snow started accumulating down at our elevation.  They reported that the snowfall was composed of huge flakes, which explains the lumpy nature of the accumulation I found on the boards at 6:00 P.M.

Today’s snowfall has really been the most vigorous that I’ve seen.  I was waiting for the bus in my car and the sky went quite dark as a squall moved in.  In less than a minute I couldn’t see out of the car, and we picked up a quick shot of fluffy snow.  Checking my web cam, it looks like we picked up a quick inch or so at the house with that one.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 24.1 F

Sky:  Light Snow (3 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy shit man, 3”/hr with 4-5” new snow today?!

Yeah, it’s at just about 5” now and the overnight stuff was cleared away this morning.  The snowfall rate has tapered down a bit now, but you can see that great northwest flow into the area:

08NOV19B.gif

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

People are posting about that band on I-89 right next to JSpin’s house.  

The comments of “that place is a huge snow belt, it’s always snowing on 89 there” are hilarious.  

ADB47EE2-71E0-45EA-9FC7-80CBD2364E8F.jpeg.a0e72c943c14c92cfaad508abb58d30f.jpeg

EE2D23AD-D9DA-44C8-9E68-C08EE6DA04B2.jpeg.69065111c0268fcba661192be60c0e6e.jpeg

:lol: Ha.  

I was reading some ski forum a few years ago that I think JSpin and you used to post in(maybe still do?) I think JSpin has it linked somewhere on his page,  but anyways there was a guy on there that was blasting JSpin about his snowfall numbers because of his low elevation in relations to some other 1k+spots that don't get as much.  I cant recall the whole exchange, but he basically was calling him a liar and that there was a 0% chance he was getting that much snowfall.  I may be off a bit in my memory, but it was along those lines I think.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah his place is the real weenie deal. That's awesome. Wish we were there. 

Yea, we all know that on here and understand why.  It was funny reading that exchange though on that other site when someone doesn't understand the nuances of the terrain influences and just says "nope, cant be true".