Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

22 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

How is the ice threat looking? The WSW is calling for 0.10-0.20 of ice accumulation instead of the 0.25 they were saying the other day.

I think a lot of the LSV sees quite a bit of sleet as it is quite cold in some of the upper columns(as Mag posted last night).  Temps seem to be progged to stay between 32 and 35 so not a huge freezing rain signal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Every one needs to cheer up in here!

When was the last time that all of CTP was under a Winter Storm Warning?

All of us will see some snow today.

Try to enjoy whatever we get !

Your last sentence reminds of: “enjoy the weather you got, it’s the only weather you get” JB I might not have it right but let’s do this over snow perform. 

Short range model wise the HRRR shows the LSV getting up to 40 then a rain/snow mix arrives driving down temps to 33-34.  We get an hour or two of snow before 850's go above freezing then several hours of sleet before changing over to rain.  Precip arrives 4-5PM.   Unfortunately it shows no snow accum's south of I81 and 1-3" (probably on the grass on)the North/W side of the Valley. The rain snow line gets up to the PA/NY border later tonight. 

Pretty much in line with NWS's point and click's that I looked at except they are too high on the snow accums. 

Many times when we have a very cold arctic high in place, the storm gets squashed way to the south.
Sometimes, you need to roll the dice & hope you win.

I’d MUCH rather have Arctic air in place. We do much better with that in LSV, verses hoping to win the rain/snow lone battle with marginal cold.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Short range model wise the HRRR shows the LSV getting up to 40 then a rain/snow mix arrives driving down temps to 33-34 an hour or two of west snow before 850's go above freezing then several hours of sleet before changing over to rain.  Precip arrives 4-5PM.   Unfortunately it shows no snow accum's south of I81 and 1-3" (probably on the grass on the North/W side of the Valley. The rain snow line gets up to the PA/NY border later tonight. 

Pretty much in line with NWS's point and click's that I looked at except they are too high on the snow accums. 

That is almost exactly what Horst is predicting will happen.

At this point, we just need to see how things play out. A ton of moisture is heading our way & we should be cold enough for snow to start. Heavy precip can overcome marginal surface temps with no problem. I expect snow to stick immediately to untreated surfaces.

No one in November thought we were getting 8 inches of snow because of time of year, ground temps, sun angle & other ideas that ended up being wrong.

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That is almost exactly what Horst is predicting will happen.

It actually has the Lancaster area getting up to 50 tonight.  I would usually chuckle and say no way but the temps are so warm right now it is very believable.  We needed that low to transfer south of us and it looks like it is not going to happen.  A bit depressing.  

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

At this point, we just need to see how things play out. A ton of moisture is heading our way & we should be cold enough for snow to start. Heavy precip can overcome marginal surface temps with no problem. I expect snow to stick immediately to untreated surfaces.

No one in November thought we were getting 8 inches of snow because of time of year, ground temps, sun angle & other ideas that ended up being wrong.

Yea, lets hope the front end thump really comes down!  One thing is that it should be large flakes and that is always fun! 

Since we are name dropping in here, the great met Joe D’Aleo had an excellent post this morning. He said that Artic high pressure tobthe north & west of storms should never be underestimated. He discussed how he thinks cold air will hang in longer, & mentioned old school methods of forecasting before models existed. 

3 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

It actually has the Lancaster area getting up to 50 tonight.  I would usually chuckle and say no way but the temps are so warm right now it is very believable.  We needed that low to transfer south of us and it looks like it is not going to happen.  A bit depressing.  

That's what Eric has been calling for all week...

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Since we are name dropping in here, the great met Joe D’Aleo had an excellent post this morning. He said that Artic high pressure tobthe north & west of storms should never be underestimated. He discussed how he thinks cold air will hang in longer, & mentioned old school methods of forecasting before models existed. 

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time! I didn't know he was still around.

4 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

The blizzard of 93 ( & no of course I’m not thinking we are getting a blizzard...just recalling a storm....) & many, many, many ... storms have started with surface temps near or slightly above freezing.

please see @MAG5035 post from overnight with the upper air map

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

The blizzard of 93 ( & no of course I’m not thinking we are getting a blizzard...just recalling a storm....) & many, many, many ... storms have started with surface temps near or slightly above freezing.

please see @MAG5035 post from overnight with the upper air map

I am just discussing the weather this AM.  I do think I went too high on my forecast yesterday even for Mag and 2001.