Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

17 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

In the wake of the most recent rainfall (0.33"), year-to-date precipitation in Pittsburgh stands at 57.08". That ranks as the second highest annual figure on record. The record is 57.41", which was established in 2004.

One more system is likely to impact Pittsburgh before 2018 concludes. At present, a moderate rainfall appears likely.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the recent guidance, the implied probabilities are as follows:

No precipitation: 3%
Measurable precipitation: 97%
0.25" or more: 88%
0.50" or more: 69%
0.75" or more: 42%
1.00" or more: 18%

New annual record (0.34" or more): 82%

Therefore, at least at this point in time, it appears very likely that Pittsburgh will set a new annual precipitation record.

Great info....wish some of that would have translated into a big snowfall year.

• Like 1

FV3 has something to though not as good as GFS. Models have been pretty jumpy but that 3rd-4th window has been popping up a few runs now though not all affect us. Either way it would be nice to have even some snow falling even if it doesn't amount to much. 

I give it about the same odds as the Steelers making the playoffs lol 

At 4:35 pm, daily rainfall at Pittsburgh reached 0.34". That brings total precipitation for 2018 to 57.42". As a result, 2018 has surpassed 2004 when 57.41" precipitation was recorded to become Pittsburgh's wettest year on record.

Earlier today, 2018 surpassed 2011 when 68.02" precipitation fell at Louisville, KY, to become that City's wettest year on record.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

At 4:35 pm, daily rainfall at Pittsburgh reached 0.34". That brings total precipitation for 2018 to 57.42". As a result, 2018 has surpassed 2004 when 57.41" precipitation was recorded to become Pittsburgh's wettest year on record.

Earlier today, 2018 surpassed 2011 when 68.02" precipitation fell at Louisville, KY, to become that City's wettest year on record.

Year of the rainstorm.

Started back in January with heavy rain, and kept going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

We look poised to add to it through midnight too. Hopefully in the new year we can combine some QPF laden storms with cold air. 

• Like 4

SXUS71 KPBZ 010813
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
315 AM EDT TUE JAN 01 2019

...WETTEST YEAR ON RECORD AT PITTSBURGH...

PITTSBURGH RECEIVED 0.75 INCHES OF RAINFALL YESTERDAY. THIS RAINFALL
BRINGS THE TOTAL LIQUID PRECIPITATION FOR 2018 TO 57.83 INCHES,
WHICH IS A NEW RECORD FOR ANNUAL PRECIPITATION. THE PREVIOUS RECORD
OF 57.41 INCHES WAS SET IN 2004.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

My backyard has been mushy and wet most of the year.   My CoCoRAHS observations total for 2018 was 58.37".

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, TeaysValleyWV said:

8-14 Day temperature outlook doesn't look promising for below normal cold and it's getting into the time frame where we should get our best chance.  GFS shows a cold plunge at the end of its run, but it's far out.

Long range is looking pretty pathetic still at this point. When things looked hostile in mid Dec I wasn't thrilled, but figured we were due for a 2-3 week warmup and figured once we got through the Holiday's we would have a pretty good handle on seeing a better pattern emerge. Well here we are and it still looks bad, maybe some hints that things turn around but we have at least 10-14 more days of wasted January potential barring some fluke setup. If that is how it plays out it's going to take a fairly epic 2nd half of winter to salvage what many (myself included) thought was going to be a good season. I'll keep an open mind for now as it is only Jan 3rd, but seeing the good looks keep getting pushed out is a red flag.

• Like 1

Yikes you know it's bad whenever JB who usually hypes up cold as much as possible is getting worried. Honestly one big blizzard would wipe away a horrible winter but right now its hard enough to get snowflakes in the air. It's just funny because everytime in the long range i does look promising. Then everytime we get closer it just gets progressively worse. 

• Like 2

The long-range volatility all season is what has me concerned.  Been that way for a while now.  If the MJO loops back around into Phase 6 again after passing through 7 briefly, that's just a kick in the pants.  Maybe it doesn't even make Phase 8.  96-97 analog probably a pretty good one to follow.  Seems people expected a more influential Nino (which we haven't had), but the pacific, among other things, is keeping the cold air away from much of the CONUS.  We aren't torching as there isn't much of a SE ridge, still above average.  Feels like we're simmering.

Going through all of December and January without snow would be pretty bad.  February 2010 would have to re-appear to make up for it.  March snow isn't as appealing.

• Like 1

Agree with all the above comments..there was a lot of chatter in early/mid December from the "cold" folks, JB one of them, that the cold was coming around the end of the year.  Well here we are and nothing appears to be on the horizon.   What's not good is they have gone a little quiet.

GFS keeps teasing us 2 weeks out.

Yikes you know it's bad whenever JB who usually hypes up cold as much as possible is getting worried. Honestly one big blizzard would wipe away a horrible winter but right now its hard enough to get snowflakes in the air. It's just funny because everytime in the long range i does look promising. Then everytime we get closer it just gets progressively worse. 

Listened to JBs video this morning. eeeekkk. I’ve never heard him sound so defeated. Like a dog with his tail between his legs.

Interesting at the very end he mentions all of the things that he expected to happen are happening but the weather just isn’t cooperating.

Outside of JB, the CPC has a colder than average outlook in the 3-4 week range. Long term Euro looks like it turns average but nothing to indicate cold yet.

• Like 1

Euro just showed a monster storm for east long island and New England. This is looking good as far as the models finally catching on to a pattern change. I can imagine the gfs will start to catch on soon and we will start having atleast white storms to track. WAKE UP ITS COMING!!!!!

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

Euro just showed a monster storm for east long island and New England. This is looking good as far as the models finally catching on to a pattern change. I can imagine the gfs will start to catch on soon and we will start having atleast white storms to track. WAKE UP ITS COMING!!!!!

Teleconnections looking better too. Still, a lot of warmth to work through, but I do think there is a change coming somewhere around mid-late January

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

CMC keeps showing a weird inland runner. It's over a week out though. The signal is there for atleast a storm in that time period. We may finally have something to track. 

Yeah, similar to Nov 1950 where warmer 850 mb temps get drawn overtop the colder 850 core.

Hopefully it's still there next Fri/Sat.

On TT in the Lower Dynamics section, the 850 temp adv & FGEN tab shows this nicely.