• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

Not the most inspiring EPS... However, i think it is better than what it looks like at first glace. At this point of the year, I'll take almost any accumulating snow.  3 of the members have 5+ in and 36 members had 2+ in storms. Lots of time but I'm not feeling super optimistic. 

37 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

NAM at 84 looks extremely promising. 

bxARQO0.png

The NAM and Canadian have the Low pressure on hour 84 on the Texas/Oklahoma border. The GFS has the low further South into Texas. If the GFS brings the low further north it at least gets us into some accumulating snow. What we don't need is any further south. 18 GFS is rolling now. 

Peak wind gust at my house (with the new weather flow station) was 23.8 mph. Seems low to me, but the system is said to still be calibrating itself. I also might need to change its set up a little bit. I have it on a PVC pipe and is secured, but does give way slightly when pushed. I’ve been trying to compare to stations around to see how accurate my station is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Not the most inspiring EPS... However, i think it is better than what it looks like at first glace. At this point of the year, I'll take almost any accumulating snow.  3 of the members have 5+ in and 36 members had 2+ in storms. Lots of time but I'm not feeling super optimistic. 

One thing that is a little glimmer of hope is since 6z today there have been slight improvements in the southern sw leading to better heights out in front. Baby steps but if that continues over the next couple days could be a decent event. At this point I'd take a light all day 1-2 inch storm with cold Temps so my bar isn't all that high. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

Peak wind gust at my house (with the new weather flow station) was 23.8 mph. Seems low to me, but the system is said to still be calibrating itself. I also might need to change its set up a little bit. I have it on a PVC pipe and is secured, but does give way slightly when pushed. I’ve been trying to compare to stations around to see how accurate my station is

My Davis VP2 showed a peak gust of 17 at 7:37pm.  I don't have it mounted very high and close to the house.   I have a remote transmitter for detaching it from the main unit.  I intend to mount it on a pole farther away from the house this Spring.

My deck furniture flipped over so I know it was higher than that.   What station did you get?

My Davis VP2 showed a peak gust of 17 at 7:37pm.  I don't have it mounted very high and close to the house.   I have a remote transmitter for detaching it from the main unit.  I intend to mount it on a pole farther away from the house this Spring.
My deck furniture flipped over so I know it was higher than that.   What station did you get?

I got the Weather Flow sky and air. Super happy with them so far. They don’t spin or have tipping buckets, so it is a little challenging to tell the accuracy of them so early on. What is nice about them is the fact that the company is constantly pushing improvements to the system. So they only get better.

Here is the link for you guys to check out my data if you want to http:// https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/6001

23 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I got the Weather Flow sky and air. Super happy with them so far. They don’t spin or have tipping buckets, so it is a little challenging to tell the accuracy of them so early on. What is nice about them is the fact that the company is constantly pushing improvements to the system. So they only get better.

Here is the link for you guys to check out my data if you want to http:// https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/6001

That is really cool.  I like the way your data is displayed on their interface.  It looks like you push out to WU also.  Good job!  You should setup a CWOP station ID.  I think NOAA/NWS uses this data more so than WU.  I've seen PIT mention my CWOP data in their local reports along with my CoCoRAHS reports.

While on the subject of data, all you guys should try to signup with CoCoRAHS, if you already are not.  I've been sending in daily reports since 2009.  It's become part of my daily morning routine and it provides a valuable service for the NWS.

51 minutes ago, dj3 said:

It would suck to miss to the south again this year but at this point I would be happy with a long duration light event. Long range continues to look good so hopefully we’ll have more threats coming into focus next week. 

Normally I wouldn't say this, but for fun I wish the GFS went out to 390 hours:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52.thumb.png.47b70f145a14accc792c605d24b51499.png

Then looking at 500 you can see energy still rounding the base of the trough, would expect this to go even more boom if there was another frame.

gfs_z500_vort_us_53.thumb.png.ec9fb5512cc525f81630ab660144b20a.png

Anyways, figured I'd post for fun. Even with all the fantasy storms we see late in runs, its sorta rare to see one riding inland like that. It at least illustrates the potential in the upcoming pattern, whether anything materializes is another thing altogether.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

At this point like I said I'd take a 2-4 event. We know we dont do big storms well but it would be nice to get a nice warning event here. I'm praying the NAM is right and the GFS is off its rocker. 

Good news for us is that the GFS always seems to be off its rocker just a little bit.