• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

FV3 has already teased us with some digital KU classics this season, only to fold to the old crowd closer to the event.  Not buying in yet.  I am a bit apprehensive about the FV3 replacing the current GFS, however.  Seems - at least over the last month or so - it has a penchant for showing a big tease too soon.  For 300 hours that's typical, but a week out?  Hopefully it's nothing.

974 mb Noreaster on the 00z GFS.  A radical change in the position of the H from the 18z to the  00z. Its much further west on the OOz which is allowing it to move up the coast. Definitely something to start watching. Especially if the Euro gets its act together a little more.

Euro and GFS both have our system in sight. The difference between them is the timing between the moisture coming from the southwest and the kicker that is coming from the northwest. The kicker is slower in the GFS which is allowing the trough to tilt more neutral whereas the kicker is faster with the Euro and keeps our trough positively tilted. The GFS scenario allows the L to move up the apps  SW to NE.  Looks like the euro kick is keeping the system further south and moving more W to E eventually off the Delmarva

Happy New Year everyone!

Feels weird starting to check models again and it is already January 7th. Not much of a winter thus far but maybe this will be good for a big storm. Most of us are due for one and I'll take the foot plus storm in the next 2 months if that is all we get. However excited for the coming week but it will be nice to get the shovel out maybe?
BTW I was out all weekend and took down the Christmas lights and did a lot of yard work so it paid off not having snow on the ground now. Bring it on now that the yard is ready 

Blizzard of 94.JPG

4 hours ago, north pgh said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Feels weird starting to check models again and it is already January 7th. Not much of a winter thus far but maybe this will be good for a big storm. Most of us are due for one and I'll take the foot plus storm in the next 2 months if that is all we get. However excited for the coming week but it will be nice to get the shovel out maybe?
BTW I was out all weekend and took down the Christmas lights and did a lot of yard work so it paid off not having snow on the ground now. Bring it on now that the yard is ready 

Blizzard of 94.JPG

Happy 25th anniversary!

Well, that first suppressed system brought in this current dreadful pattern, maybe the second version can usher in the pattern reset?  Progressive, flat flow and southern stream looks shuddered by a strong NS vort.  Wouldn't surprise me to see that high pressure drop south as we get closer.  Teleconnections pretty marginal.

I'll be flying on Sunday so I'm okay with this one missing.

Edit: FV3 and CMC are still showing a possible storm solution.  Perhaps a big one at that, but until they get support, I won't trust those two alone.

34 minutes ago, Mailman said:

FV3 no longer looking great for the weekend.

Heh.. I wish the Euro ran at 10:30am and the rest of the models came after.. Many afternoons would have been saved throughout my life if it worked that way.. :mellow: Case in point to this point it has always had a weaker slide off the coast look vs the other models at one point or another showing a decent hit for the area. Still time for things to change though so the beat goes on.

Anyways, how about a guide to winter storms in Pittsburgh courtesy of Marge Simpson:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/7RgYK6uN/85wDMW.mp4?1475737112995

• Like 1

20 hours ago, north pgh said:

Blizzard of 94.JPG

I'd kill for a bullseye like that again.. I remember arguing with a buddy of mine over that storm, he saw that weather report from Joe and thought it meant another 20-26 inches was coming. I couldn't get it through his head that was the totals.. Made me so mad at the time lol We were 13-14 at the time though.

It cracks me up how spoiled other forum posters are. They freak out whenever they miss out on a big storm every year. Yet they are probably getting more big storms than their average. Also at this point I'd take a decent 3-5 storm. I cant deal with this rain anymore its depressing.