• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

16 minutes ago, mattny88 said:

Wsyr news channel 9 snowfall map..usually this local TV new station is accurate with their forecast..your guys thoughts on the snow amounts and this snow map

looks good as a broad brush.  Where any banding sets up and how the leading WAA thump plays out will be critical.  BGM area will also have the warm nose to deal with which could hold down snow totals a couple/few inches.  Or not.  I don't think we have any dry slot concerns with this system, mercifully.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

looks good as a broad brush.  Where any banding sets up and how the leading WAA thump plays out will be critical.  BGM area will also have the warm nose to deal with which could hold down snow totals a couple/few inches.  Or not.  I don't think we have any dry slot concerns with this system, mercifully.

So in other words west of the Genesee River picks up a trace if snow??? This I have to see...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Likely because Don Paul left. Still like Mike Cejka he has a very great on air personality but I agree some of the forecasting on WIVB is head scratching. Channel 7 actually has the best team of mets I believe.

Cejka is good on TV but very weak on interpretive skills. Pretty much always just picks a model and does a verbatim forecast. Santos and Baglini are both smart and knowledgeable but moving on from Don Paul meant WIVB gave up years and years of pattern recognition. 

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The Canadian models, after being bullish on Rochester all week, have said NOPE right at game time. Ugh. This could be a tough one guys. 

I think Wolfie is right about the kicker. Those down state bastards. 

It’s mid November. If ROC and BUF miss out on this one, we have 4-5 months to make up for it.

That November 2016 storm that brought 8-20 inches to most of western and central NY gave zero to Buffalo, anything we get this early is just bonus snow.

Tough system for sure for us Western folks. Any snow that does fall will be quite heavy and dense with the crappy dendritic growth so even 3 inches will warrant a quick pass with the snowblower.  While this isnt a great system, it's still a very early start to the season.  

Buf - 2" 

ROC - 3"

Syr - 6"   

Bristol Hills - 7"

Just now, rochesterdave said:

Delta, you’re really pessimistic 

Seriously?, I always feel pretty even keeled compared to others around here.......  This storm is a close call for us.  My numbers are mostly in line with the forecasts and things are trending East a bit.  We need that surface low to redevelop and hang around in NJ which is a gamble, it could develop 100 miles East and in that case WNY is in trouble.  More important is the snow type.  I think the ratios will be crazy low with this storm so even if we get a lot of precip, it just won't stack up very high.  Super dense, grainy, gritty stuff.  3 inches sounds fantastic to me to be honest.  Just give me something to snowblow and drive around in tonight.  Not expecting a blockbuster at all. 

• Like 2

Here's a photo from november 12th, 2012 when i lived in nj 15 miles from the the atlantic ocean, ten days after a major hurricane with temps in the 50s leading up to the event..lol

Heavy precip overcame all that, with over a foot falling..

I know its still "only" mid november but we do avg more snow this month then nyc does in jan..lol

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Here's a photo from november 12th, 2012 when i lived in nj 15 miles from the the atlantic ocean, ten days after a major hurricane with temps in the 50s leading up to the event..lol

Heavy precip overcame all that, with over a foot falling..

I know its still "only" mid november but we do avg more snow this month then nyc does in jan..lol

thumbnail.jpg

You were there for Sandy? How was that storm? 

It was pretty scary at times lol Worst part was losing power for so long, many people had no power when the "son of sandy" hit..

I lived about 50 miles NE of landfall, max gust were probably 80-90 mph..The hurricane wind field was really spread out..

We didn't lose to many trees since a microburst destroyed most of them the previous summer lol

Flooding wasn't an issue as i was 15 miles inland with minimal rainfall (1"-2")

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It was pretty scary at times lol Worst part was losing power for so long, many people had no power when the "son of sandy" hit..

I lived about 50 miles NE of landfall, max gust were probably 80-90 mph..The hurricane wind field was really spread out..

We didn't lose to many trees since a microburst destroyed most of them the previous summer lol

Flooding wasn't an issue as i was 15 miles inland with minimal rainfall (1"-2")

That’s awesome, I’ve yet to go through a hurricane. It’s on my short bucketlist.

• Haha 1