• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2018 Observations

Solak

Another day another downpour. Picked up .56" this morning. Which brings my now 5 day total to 5.23". 

Saw a report on my FB feed that Hatteras has had over 19" this month as of this morning. I am up to 5.82" for the month.

Side note: Check radar before taking dogs out for walk. We got soaked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yotaman said:

Another day another downpour. Picked up .56" this morning. Which brings my now 5 day total to 5.23". 

Saw a report on my FB feed that Hatteras has had over 19" this month as of this morning. I am up to 5.82" for the month.

Side note: Check radar before taking dogs out for walk. We got soaked.

You must have just missed this yesterday...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.49 INCHES WAS SET AT NEW BERN NC YESTERDAY. 
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.39 INCHES SET IN 1974.
  • Like 1

Let's see how this plays out through the afternoon. I'm right in the middle of the "best chance". :)

NWS RaleighVerified account @NWSRaleigh 3m3 minutes ago

1:40pm Radar Update: Spotty showers/storms beginning to develop along and east of a stalled cold front situated across central #NCwx. Expect this activity to multiply over the next few hours. Strongest storms will be capable of producing isolated wind gusts and heavy rainfall.DjNb41TW0AAXVpb.jpg

2 hours ago, Solak said:

You must have just missed this yesterday...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.49 INCHES WAS SET AT NEW BERN NC YESTERDAY. 
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.39 INCHES SET IN 1974.

Yeah I did, that is at the Airport where they have had almost 8" for the month. We caught the tail end of that storm. They got pounded.

I think I saw a cell forming almost overhead but it moved off to the south and east to the west and north nothing but blue skies.  Judging by the radar steering flow is very week.  Alost have to have something form on top of you or barely upstream.

12 minutes ago, Solak said:

LOL --- an outflow boundary chewed up and destroyed a warned storm that was within 2 miles of us!! Third storm/cluster that has fizzled on us today.

I am trying to learn about the mechanics convective rainfall in NC.  I thought that outflow boundaries were good because they provided lift.

2 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I am trying to learn about the mechanics convective rainfall in NC.  I thought that outflow boundaries were good because they provided lift.

Outflow boundaries can act as a lifting mechanism, working on unstable air to get thunderstorms going, as you said.  However, if a thunderstorm is already in progress (and given that a storm wants warm, moist air to consume so that it can continue to survive), and it encounters the cool outflow from another nearby storm, it’s likely that its fuel supply will be cut off by the cool outflow, and the storm will diminish or dissipate.  Hope that helps!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Outflow boundaries can act as a lifting mechanism, working on unstable air to get thunderstorms going, as you said.  However, if a thunderstorm is already in progress (and given that a storm wants warm, moist air to consume so that it can continue to survive), and it encounters the cool outflow from another nearby storm, it’s likely that its fuel supply will be cut off by the cool outflow, and the storm will diminish or dissipate.  Hope that helps!

Ah yes, thank you. 

Then perhaps it is not a coincidence that I never got any action today yet two vigorous cells formed in close proximity.

So far, GSP has reached 90 just 8 days this month, and just 25 for the year. Only one day has reached higher than 94, which was a 96. No 90s forecast on the 15 day outlook. When we get to the end of July and there's no major heat through mid August I breathe a sigh of relief that summers days are numbered.

While we've had a lot of rain, we've also had a lot of days with tolerable DP s in the 60s. Just got back from two weeks in CA and I'll take our upper 80s with some humidity over their "dry" 100 + every time! Also visited the coast and waaaay more humid there, been a pretty nice summer so far in the upstate.

For comparison, CLT has seen 42 days hit 90, with 8 reaching 95 or higher with a high of 98. Overall, significantly hotter in CLT. 

CAE has seen 57 days of 90+, with 27 reaching 95+, 3 reaching 100+ with a high of 103. Pretty hot stuff, but about par for CAE. Undoubtedly they will add to the 90+ and 95+ counts for awhile yet.

• Like 1

MONSOON CONTUINUES

Jesus I feel like I'm back in Panama during the RAINY SEASON  Seriously! 

Have T-Storm(s) training on top of ILM since yesterday afternoon..

PLEASE send help to build ARK

I'm betting Downeast is  getting as much as I am,, current Radeer shows storm's "training" all the way to New Bern..

Not posting "totals yet..

Current Temp is 75F

that is all..

gurgle gurgle….  (Hey I'm sporting GILLS! )

Since  yesterday Heavy Down pours with Thunder & light Showers have persisted since I posted yesterday..

75/81

Humidity 93%

Dewpoint 72.5%

Pressure 30.09

Winds SSW @ 3mph

Precipitation in the Last 24 hours, 2.10 inches

15.00" even Month to Date (for July)

Average is 6.50 +/-

Current conditions 74F Cloudy & light Rain

Beach Water Temp 83F

I thought I saw DownEast Floating SouthEast, by the pier on beach Cam awhile ago...  ;) 

In His Ark...

this mornings AFD..

Oh Joy

as of 300 am Monday...the synoptic pattern has not changed in
the past 24 hours. High pressure entrenched over the Atlantic
and a developing trough to the west. The 850 mb gradient
tightens this morning and the models develop a 20 to 25 knot
jet which will continue to pump the moisture into the region.
This deep tropical moisture is reflected in the precipitable
water with values between 2.0" and 2.5".

Currently a strong short-wave trough is moving north along the coast
and will shift north of the area during the morning. Other weaker
waves are seen in the models but confidence with their timing
is not high but with the instabilities of 1200 to 1600 j/kg,
convection will continue to develop through the period.

46 minutes ago, SENC said:

Lordy @Shaggy, even a "Mild" TS & were F***…..

Very true. If we can get a couple weeks of dry weather then it would be fine but the ground is soaking wet and if did have something pop up close to home and hit it would be rough.

• Haha 1