• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Spring/Summer 2018 Observations

Carvers Gap

Randomly was in Bristol/ Abingdon area today and managed to get a photo of a storm to my north in the distance as it went severe at approx. 330 - 4 PM (photo 1).  On my way back to Knoxville another smaller storm developed right over downtown Knoxville and I was able to get a photo of it as well! (630ish) (photo 2). 

tazewell county tstorm.jpg

tstorm develops over knoxville.jpg

Really interesting to see the boundary setting up between Abingdon and Blacksburg. I've always wondered why, if there is cold air damming going on, if it can make it to Abingdon, why it doesn't just keep draining down I-81? It's heavier and denser, right?  Maybe it's not CAD, but the wind barbs in the included image seem to indicate a NE wind.  I guess the warm air advection just beats out CAD after a certain point...

Pretty easy to see too where the rain snow line is going to set up for those folks as the heavy precip develops and moves in. 

temps NE TN SW VA.jpg

7 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Really interesting to see the boundary setting up between Abingdon and Blacksburg. I've always wondered why, if there is cold air damming going on, if it can make it to Abingdon, why it doesn't just keep draining down I-81? It's heavier and denser, right?  Maybe it's not CAD, but the wind barbs in the included image seem to indicate a NE wind.  I guess the warm air advection just beats out CAD after a certain point...

Pretty easy to see too where the rain snow line is going to set up for those folks as the heavy precip develops and moves in. 

temps NE TN SW VA.jpg

Tonight has been a perfect example of the phenomenon just as it was last week. For those in the New River Valley when it comes to winter weather this occurrence is like CAD in the piedmont only elevated with even more favorable conditions. It also marks where I consider the NE edge of our forum it is where the primary spine of the Appalachians transitions from the Blue Ridge to the Allegheny as the dominant range. To re-iterate it has been a long stubborn fall in temperatures to the west of it. I am currently at 37 and have seen a few melting flakes finally begin to fall. 

:snowwindow: I think I will retire for the night a quarter inch of snow has accumulated thus far as my final observation of the night.                                                                   The temperature remains a steady 32 with light snowfall. A burst of moderate/heavy snow at this point would likely turn the roads white for a short time. It was enjoyable to observe and I guess my goal for the night was achieved in spite of the temperature woes. ^_^

I-75 from the Campbell/Anderson line to the Kentucky border is now reported as hazardous with snow and ice on the roadway. Moderate snow continues to fall here and should for the next 4-6 hours minimum by looking at the radar. Have about 3 hours until the sun comes up and probably ends most accumulation. Even with decent rates and freezing temps there is bottom up melting due to ground temps.

Another Wednesday another accumulation, albeit this time I’m surprised. I got a message from the school that they were on a 2hr delay, so I looked out, and to my surprise, we have about 1/2in on the picnic table and grass. The temp is 31. MRX mentions in this morning’s AFD that the rates have caused the temps to fall lower than previously expected. That would make sense I guess. Now the trick will be to see how much more could possibly accumulate. 

• Like 4

We've had some nice snow near downtown Knoxville, but that extra urban heat definitely takes its toll on anything's ability to stick. Not really disappointed for myself, but in fact happy that many of you are getting snow!

If anyone wants to see something unique, go to http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=MRX-N0Q-1-200  this AM before the data expires and watch across north Knox county.  There some weird mesoscale band that seems to set up after the flow turns as the front comes through yesterday afternoon and runs W to E from maybe Powell toward House Mountain. I've included an image that shows a piece of it and what to look for, but it really isn't evident until you watch the 200 image loop a couple of times. It seems to only last as long as the precip is flowing from W to E. 

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on this...

3_21 radar band.jpg

• Thanks 1

My guess is that air flowing parallel to those two mountains converges on the lee/back side. Low level convergence helps precip. 

Similar process can happen with a peninsula sticking out into water with an onshore (sea)breeze. Air converges and showers pop on the penninsula.

A difference is the mountain example today also involves wake processes. Good meso/micro scale observation for all to remember. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

If anyone wants to see something unique, go to http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=MRX-N0Q-1-200  this AM before the data expires and watch across north Knox county.  There some weird mesoscale band that seems to set up after the flow turns as the front comes through yesterday afternoon and runs W to E from maybe Powell toward House Mountain. I've included an image that shows a piece of it and what to look for, but it really isn't evident until you watch the 200 image loop a couple of times. It seems to only last as long as the precip is flowing from W to E. 

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on this...

3_21 radar band.jpg

• Thanks 1

Had a dusting overnight that partially melted this morning but now moderate snow has moved back in over the past 30 minutes. Probably have an inch now and the roads are starting to get covered actually. Wind is howling and the flakes are tiny tiny. Not pellets but very tiny little balls of snow. Temp is 31.

• Like 4