• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event

Kasper

I don't understand what the Canadian models are seeing causing the snowhole in Union County but it's been there run after run. It would be baffling to see it happen.

As for warming, it's up to 34 here. We want it to warm up today, that means the atmosphere can hold more moisture and that it's being transported into the area via sw flow.

Finally, I can get MRX wanting to watch one more set of model runs before they issue products, but if they really said model inconsistency was there reason for not, that was silly. This has been the most consistently modeled event in a few years for the area. It's been on the Euro for 5 days and on the NAM ever since it got within range. Even the weaker GFS was showing advisory level events for days on end.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I don't understand what the Canadian models are seeing causing the snowhole in Union County but it's been there run after run. It would be baffling to see it happen.

As for warming, it's up to 34 here. We want it to warm up today, that means the atmosphere can hold more moisture and that it's being transported into the area via sw flow.

Finally, I can get MRX wanting to watch one more set of model runs before they issue products, but if they really said model inconsistency was there reason for not, that was silly. This has been the most consistently modeled event in a few years for the area. It's been on the Euro for 5 days and on the NAM ever since it got within range. Even the weaker GFS was showing advisory level events for days on end.

We have some serious WAA going on here in the Southern Valley, SSW wind has really increased, Shawn are you seeing the same?

2 minutes ago, Bango said:

Ukie has the hole as well

E456F7C7-9984-4587-9B36-117356DF0141.jpeg

I'm curious to see if it plays out, there is no reason at all for it to be there geographically, like downsloping. I wonder why the models are seeing it. On a positive note, it's awesome to see the UKIE moisten up, it had been stubborn too, although I usually use it more for Miller A type systems at 500mb.

1 minute ago, ShawnEastTN said:

John I wonder, if the moisture transport is from SW could that be a mesoscale terrain shadow in what would be the lee of the Frozen Head area if you factor SW moisture transport?

It would be something I've never seen before for the area if that happened. It's also not on other models like the Euro, GFS, or NAM. Though the NAM has a snow donut in NE Tennessee and Southern Middle that also doesn't make much sense to me.

31 minutes ago, John1122 said:

"model run-to-run consistency has been somewhat poor with this event leading to low confidence"  That is the exact quote they sent in an email.

3 minutes ago, Mrwolf1972 said:

Looking back at past few runs euro looks little drier then it's past runs. 

In some areas, in others it has went up.  All and all I would say its pretty even keel within the realm of typical model run to run fluctuations, no changes that were significant.  Plus its really time for Mesoscale models to shine, and nowcast in all reality.

It's pretty much time to turn it over to the mesoscale models and look for run to run differences from there.  NO model will regularly accurately predict snowfall totals.  

Most of our region is in line for a light to spotty moderate snowfall (that in and of itself is pretty remarkable).  

As always, winners and losers when it comes to snow.  Been a fun one to follow.  Here's to a good set of 18z's!

5 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

"They send out forecast emails?"
Not hardly I was just so surprised they had not put out some kind of advisory with the event within 24 I emailed them and that was the response.  Over the years there conservatism has been a little frustrating albeit most of the time accurate.  I Agee with John however, inconsistency has not been a problem, so that was a lame excuse.

The ground is frozen, temps will be in the 20s most likely as the moisture is behind the front. It's one of the few ways nearly the entire forum has a shot at seeing snow, even if it's not a particularly heavy snow event. 1-2 inches will be much more common than 2-3 most likely. But even then it's rare to see snow from Southern Arkansas WNW to North Carolina.

Biggest fly in the ointment is energy trying to transfer from the north/west PVA to the south/east PVA. In the past that has been an awful disappointment for snow fans. Understand why MRX is trying to hold; it's like staying on 16 in blackjack and hoping the dealer busts first..

ARW version shows the snow band disintegrating into eastern Tenn. Painful prog.

BNA and MEM are a little more on board, and perhaps justified. I'm mentally preparing to get blanked in Chattanooga. Anything above a dusting will be a pleasant surprise. Knox has a better chance of sticking snow. Ditto TRI.

9 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Biggest fly in the ointment is energy trying to transfer from the north/west PVA to the south/east PVA. In the past that has been an awful disappointment for snow fans. Understand why MRX is trying to hold; it's like staying on 16 in blackjack and hoping the dealer busts first..

ARW version shows the snow band disintegrating into eastern Tenn. Painful prog.

BNA and MEM are a little more on board, and perhaps justified. I'm mentally preparing to get blanked in Chattanooga. Anything above a dusting will be a pleasant surprise. Knox has a better chance of sticking snow. Ditto TRI.

Ok Jeff you have to iron all the kinks out to make this happen!  LOL Hopefully we have no issues with the transfer.  

10 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Ok Jeff you have to iron all the kinks out to make this happen!  LOL Hopefully we have no issues with the transfer.  

I think jeff just smacked me back to reality (ktri)...ha.  

"ARW version shows the snow band disintegrating into eastern Tenn. Painful prog". 

After living here 55 years I have learned if one thing can go wrong that will cause a snow forecast to bust it it often happens.  Too many things have to line up just right to get the "goods" to come to pass.  Every once and a while it does happen so lets reel this one in.

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived