joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro actually stepped close to the GFS track, has a SLP around Charlotte with snow flying over the Plateau areas and into SE Ky by 1-12/13. 

The GFS was the most wintry tonight with wide spread sleet, zr and then snow. The Canadian was later and further east based with it's odd coastal redevelopment solution. The Euro has a similar track as the GFS and delivers some really cold air with highs not getting above freezing days 8-10 after the storm passes.

MRX remembers the 2015 event mentioned earlier.

One thing
we`ve been looking for is a possible stubborn northerly wind in the
valley that might keep temps in the afternoon below freezing--as was
seen with the ice event in Feb 2015. Right now, it looks like the
pressure pattern will try to keep a SW flow up the valley on Monday,
that will help with warm advection.

MRX remembers the 2015 event mentioned earlier.
One thingwe`ve been looking for is a possible stubborn northerly wind in thevalley that might keep temps in the afternoon below freezing--as wasseen with the ice event in Feb 2015. Right now, it looks like thepressure pattern will try to keep a SW flow up the valley on Monday,that will help with warm advection.

That’s the one I was talking about

12z was very aggressive with ice and snow next week at this time. I have no idea what will happen, but hopefully it's remotely close. Hopefully the 12z Euro steps more in line again.  

If this storm was being shown for any other part of the country I'd be much more confident it was going down.  But we've lost at least 3 threats this season in this range this winter already. Maybe 4. 

There's a layer of freezing rain, a layer of sleet, then snow on top. A lot of the zr in the east happens Monday morning. In the west the next storm is mainly a freezing rain/sleet event that run as cold undercuts, snow falls in the east as the storm runs east of the Apps. 6z was more suppressed, which as we all know is a worrisome trend this winter.  

zr_acc.us_ov.png

snku_acc.us_ov.png

Euro is more interesting for the Monday system. Especially for SW Virginia. More snow on the front end. Maybe even an inch or two in SWVA. Pockets of ice/mix hang in much longer across the east as well. 

Second system is a nothing burger though as it cuts the system west of the apps. It's not terribly far from the GFS solution, but the LP placement is of course massive for P-Type.  

Doesn't make a ton of sense to me to be a cutter with a 1050 HP pressing into the upper midwest. We've seen the models show that and show cutters all season. The cutters have been suppressed to the central Gulf or central Florida when reality hits.

RGEM now showing ice hanging tough in the northern valley for just about the whole duration Monday. Not sure if it’s on to something, but I always listen when it speaks. Also, for some reason I see on this 18Z run it went out to 54 hrs? Is that new now? It only used to go out to 48. Matter of fact 12z only went to 48 hrs.

41 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

RGEM now showing ice hanging tough in the northern valley for just about the whole duration Monday. Not sure if it’s on to something, but I always listen when it speaks. Also, for some reason I see on this 18Z run it went out to 54 hrs? Is that new now? It only used to go out to 48. Matter of fact 12z only went to 48 hrs.

I believe the 18z always goes to 54. The RGEM is quite icy. This starts becoming a know your micro climate situation. We've seen this type of event play out plenty of times and what happened before will probably be a good guide to what will happen again. 

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I believe the 18z always goes to 54. The RGEM is quite icy. This starts becoming a know your micro climate situation. We've seen this type of event play out plenty of times and what happened before will probably be a good guide to what will happen again. 

Ah thanks John. Guess I hadn’t ever paid that much attention to the 18z. Yes it is icy for sure, and in these situations my area is one of the ones to hold onto that cold air through or nearly through the duration. I don’t see it being crippling in terms of Qpf, but it could be quite difficult to get around in Monday should that verify.

Looking more like light but sticking ice for Middle Tennessee, especially the Plateau, Sunday night and Monday morning. Little more short-wave ridging left Mid-Tenn, despite HP retreat, therefore light winds. High-res models, useful these situations, have temps dropping back to a wetbulb around 32 in Middle Tenn. Still should not be enough ice to harm trees or power lines. However frozen ground should create immediate travel and safety issues.

West Tennessee I still think SW winds all levels (including the surface) and WAA gets temps above 32 before rain. East Tennessee and northwest Georgia temps should have a better chance to rise in the daytime Monday, compared to Mid-Tenn pre-dawn, but early arrival of rain would increase risk of light ice. Agree with MRX it's not 2015 Feb. Either way Middle Tennessee has the best chance of ice due to diurnal timing and the Plateau. Second would be East Tenn.

My West, Middle and East Kentucky thoughts are similar to those in Tenn. Have not looked hard at snow in Virginia but I won't argue. 

CFS  wants to kill winter with it's MJO forecast.Jeff threw it to the curb though in his earlier post.Interesting lecture and worth reading if you have time about the MJO  and blocking where sometimes we can get a cross polar flow without it being favorable phases from Ventrice.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/95Annual/videogateway.cgi/id/29036?recordingid=29036

Madden Julian Oscillation.png

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived