Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I still don't see any arctic air coming into the lakes though. Nick can you explain how it's possible to get a significant lake effect event with those marginal temps? 

Its -8 to -10 at 850 on both the gfs and euro.  Is that not cold enough?  Its a week out.  I just mentioned the potential.

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Its -8 to -10 at 850 on both the gfs and euro.  Is that not cold enough?  Its a week out.  I just mentioned the potential.

Is it true out best lake effect events come when 850 temps are around there? Once it gets too cold doesn't it make it harder to produce snow as the colder the air the less moisture it can hold or am I way off? I just feel like Dec 2010 and Nov 2014 were both with 850s not super cold but just cold enough with good synoptic moisture and lift. Even if it doesn't materialize at least it doesn't look like it's going to be sustained warmth and above average which is always nice.

15 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Is it true out best lake effect events come when 850 temps are around there? Once it gets too cold doesn't it make it harder to produce snow as the colder the air the less moisture it can hold or am I way off? I just feel like Dec 2010 and Nov 2014 were both with 850s not super cold but just cold enough with good synoptic moisture and lift. Even if it doesn't materialize at least it doesn't look like it's going to be sustained warmth and above average which is always nice.

Plus I'm certain the models are still sorting out the details. 12z almost has lp with transfer to the coast which COULD keep enough "warm" air back west to be marginal...thanksgiving still looks like our best potential as arctic air seems to be wrapped in a little more than next weekend. 

40 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

No.  It could definitely be colder.  850s were like -16 in Nov 2014 if I'm not mistaken. It was very cold.  Nov. 2000 was more like -9 to -11...Dec. 1995 was like -20 and Dec. 2001 was -15.  Feb. 2007 was -21 to -25.  October 06 was about -6.  

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

No.  It could definitely be colder.  850s were like -16 in Nov 2014 if I'm not mistaken. It was very cold.  Nov. 2000 was more like -9 to -11...Dec. 1995 was like -20 and Dec. 2001 was -15.  Feb. 2007 was -21 to -25.  October 06 was about -6.  

I changed browsers and lost some of my saved websites. Do you have anything that shows detailed output of temps throughout atmosphere from GFS and Euro? 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm not so sure. I think after the "cold" blast from Nov 18th-22nd we go warmer than normal again. Tuesday to Friday look slightly warmer than normal as well. 

Yup. This is being advertised by both the GEFS and EPS for the extended beyond Thanksgiving. Basically it's the pattern potentially reloading as we break into December. The Weeklies were actually suggesting this relaxation as well, then the arctic opens up and the flood gates pour back east by early-mid December. If that were to occur, you're talking about getting towards good climo for many areas in the east, and really look solid for the Lakes. I still think we'll see transient cold shots at times for your latitude, but nothing substantial until after the aforementioned time frame.

I'm thinking a white Christmas is very likely for everyone in the sub-forum and even into areas further downwind. Me on the other hand lives in do or die land where if we don't get systems to bomb to our south or get some kind of crazy snow squall action, it'll be another brown Christmas. I've seen a grand total of 2 "white" Christmas and both were due to snow falling previous days. Only once have I seen flakes on Christmas Day, but it melted on contact. In fact, seen snow 3 times on Thanksgiving lol 

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yup. This is being advertised by both the GEFS and EPS for the extended beyond Thanksgiving. Basically it's the pattern potentially reloading as we break into December. The Weeklies were actually suggesting this relaxation as well, then the arctic opens up and the flood gates pour back east by early-mid December. If that were to occur, you're talking about getting towards good climo for many areas in the east, and really look solid for the Lakes. I still think we'll see transient cold shots at times for your latitude, but nothing substantial until after the aforementioned time frame.

I'm thinking a white Christmas is very likely for everyone in the sub-forum and even into areas further downwind. Me on the other hand lives in do or die land where if we don't get systems to bomb to our south or get some kind of crazy snow squall action, it'll be another brown Christmas. I've seen a grand total of 2 "white" Christmas and both were due to snow falling previous days. Only once have I seen flakes on Christmas Day, but it melted on contact. In fact, seen snow 3 times on Thanksgiving lol 

0z seems to be locking in on a GL cutter for this weekend with a signature LES event through sunday...on the flip side the meteorologistfrom WIVB 4 in buffalo actually muttered the words "potential snowstorm " next weekend. 

Archived